No announcement yet.

Oil Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Summit Racing has pushed the ship date of my oil seal back ANOTHER two weeks

I guess I will go and try out one of these other options to try to obtain one that will fit. Sick of looking at the bike all tore apart.
    Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
    Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Double check the seal, the numbers should stamped on it. Sometimes parts can end up in the wrong packages.
      Yep, that's what made the final decision for me to move to the S.O.F.A. unit from TC on my bike, when Napa had 5 filters for my bike in stock, and 4 of the boxes had the wrong filter on the inside.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        Yep, that's what made the final decision for me to move to the S.O.F.A. unit from TC on my bike, when Napa had 5 filters for my bike in stock, and 4 of the boxes had the wrong filter on the inside.
        Napa used to be pretty reliable in my experience, I have been really disappointed lately. I have been trying hard to support local stores, but when the online parts houses get my orders right, and the local guys do not, I stop feeling so bad for them.

*And I finally found the box the seal came in, and the part number on the seal, and on the box are not even close to matching.
        Last edited by Joab; 04-30-2012, 06:51 PM.
        Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
        Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Oil Seal and Speedy sleeve for shaft

Ok, did not read every post but on my XJ that seal can be ordered for $10 or less. Got my latest one from Advance Auto, Rock Auto. com also has them. National 223240 Have bought 3 so far. 1st one didn't work, thought it was bad. Found a speedy sleeve(I could look for the box for the part number if you need it cuz I got it somewhere), repairs the groove from the shaft from years of wear by the spring in the seal. Works great but you have to put it on backwards so you don't have to split the cases. Use a dremel tool to remove rough edge, found this out when I replaced the 2nd seal after flooding my crankcase with oil over the winter and that edge tore up seal #3. I am waiting for seal #4 to arrive, 2 day wait, I hope this helps.
          Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
            I have been trying all sizes until I finally found the one that worked. Go figure, the Yamaha dealership had them in stock. Part number is: 93101-32087-00.

Jamie
            I can't break this part number. Is is supposed to be a YAMAHA number?
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
              Napa used to be pretty reliable in my experience, I have been really disappointed lately. I have been trying hard to support local stores, but when the online parts houses get my orders right, and the local guys do not, I stop feeling so bad for them.

*And I finally found the box the seal came in, and the part number on the seal, and on the box are not even close to matching.
              It won't for some reason, gotta trust the part number on the box (223240) and I have ordered two seals, both National brand,
              through 2 different local part stores and had them in two days for under $10 each.
              Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                I can't break this part number. Is is supposed to be a YAMAHA number?
                Yes, the 32x48x8 left side seal seems to have a Yamaha P/N as indicated in a couple of spots in this thread. Similiar P/N cross references on MikesXS to the OEM seals #'s.

My oil leak on the left crankshaft (ignition side) has improved. PO had 50-50 mix of gas & oil in the engine which was shiny sapphire black when I drained it. Stunk bad too! Only salvation was that the brake pistons were so rusted that the bike hopefully wasn't ridden too far with that 50-50 concoction. After changing oil & filter, fixing the carbs & petcocks (and brakes) then running the bike now 700 miles, the leak reduced from Bad to just a few drips and a bit-o-oil on the left shoe.

Picked up an SKF 12735 at the Napa distribution warehouse last night for $9 bucks. Have always had good luck with SKF oil seals. (and yeah, the correct part was in the box but even checked it with the verniers). However, now I'm getting chicken about doing the fix. Struggling with the Risk - Reward thing. Besides, it is not leaking that bad anymore -but- not going to get better -but- while the aftermarket seal fits the dimensions it seem to have a couple mm less sealing surface on the crank than the OEM original.

Going to ponder this a bit more before ripping out the old seal. Brent has a nice left side crank oil seal leak so maybe he will volunteer to be the guinea pig in my experiment. Still not sure which way I would install the SKF. Seems Face-In would be the way the seal is designed to go on the crank. However, that is not too cosmetically correct with spring side out plus if face out then you gotta use a screwdriver or something to work the spring and nitrile lip over the crank. Anybody experimented with this?? Looks like about 1mm difference in where the nitrile lip would contact the crank facing In vs Out. ? Does this seal fix solve the problem for a few years of riding -or- will swapping out the old seal just work for a couple thousand miles, then more leaks??

Jeff
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E
                78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Working...
                X