Title Gremlins strike again (IL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Title Gremlins strike again (IL)

So after having problems with the XJ I bought in WI in Feb and getting that one straitened out I looked close at the title on this one before Buying. Yep one owner, no leans, no other buyer names, If only I had looked at the VIN#. In prepping for the trip it IL DMV I discover the VIN on the title doesn't match the bike.

Called the owner and went over he showed me recp't from dealer and the current registration which (you guessed it) all match the VIN on the title but not the bike. The PO bought it used at a long time dealer in the area. My position is I believe the PO and he has the rec'p from the dealer. (8 years ago). My guess is that the dealer either made a mistake (swapped) on titles at at the dealership or it came in that way and they either didn't look or looked the other way. Both the title I hold and the real title on the bike are for Black 79s

Went to DMV and explained, got a lot of blank stares and finally they said I had to take it to the police for a VIN check which I did. They like me, ran the numbers and its not reported as stolen. I now have a official paper that says it is what I claim it is. Now DMV says "sorry that VIN is registered on a different valid title, probably not much we can do." I asked DMV if I could file for a lost title and they said no as I'm not the owner.

Call the PO owner back and asked when I could bring it back for a full refund (I'd rather get it figured out and keep it) and he offered to call the dealer where he bought it. Dealer called a little later and offered to contact who they got it from but stated "this was a consignment sale and we had nothing to do with the title"
    So does anyone know how to remedy this in IL? I asked IL DMV how someone could have a title with my VIN# and they said it was a BONDED title and that they had posted a bond and no one challenged it (had a 3 year challenge).

I'm not expecting much out of the dealer for an old used bike sold 8 years ago but you never know. I prefer to work it from multiple angles. I could take the seller to small claims to get my $1300 back but I'd rather find a way to title and keep it. I could keep it and part it : ( I'd consider a frame purchase but prefer to have the frame/motor/title all match, I didn't realize how many jacked up titles there are floating around on these bikes.

The XJ I bought had been sold multiple without being transferred and someone wrote the buyers name on the title several sales back. I was able to get that one fixed and transferred and I have clear title on it.

I would think that DMV would force other title holder to confirm VIN, I had that happen in IA on an '45 pickup I owned, turned out mine was ok.

If anyone knows what the next move is here in IL I would appreciate it. I'm convinced that the staff at the local DMV don't know how to handle this but there must be something I can do to move it forward. I considered just transferring the title I had and ride it but that's not the right thing to do. Even walking in I asked myself one more time are you sure you want to do this? I guess no good dead goes un-punished.

Thanks

Last edited by WSL91; 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
    So after having problems with the XJ I bought in WI in Feb and getting that one straitened out I looked close at the title on this one before Buying. Yep one owner, no leans, no other buyer names, If only I had looked at the VIN#. In prepping for the trip it IL DMV I discover the VIN on the title doesn't match the bike.
    Hi John,
    I would never council someone to creatively use a grinding wheel and a set of letter stamps to make the frame VIN match the paperwork, that'd be illegal, right?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Just get yourself a bonded title for the bike. You obtain an insurance bond which in effect insures the value of your purchased bike.

Upon application to the Illinois Secretary of State, you supply the insurance bond and Illinois issues a title........you must keep the bond in effect for three years (as it used to be) and at the end of three years, the title will be shown as clear/lien/not stolen.

Call your insurance company, and the local DMV should be able to help as well. Nice SF by the way, looks worth the trouble.

Personally, I think that any untitled bike over 20 years old should be issued a new title, as long as it doesn't come up as stolen. Mayber I should run for IL congress and make it happen!......On second thought I don't think so, that's a sleazy bunch.
      Last edited by EricHa; 04-20-2012, 12:05 PM.
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
      Airbox w/K&N element
      Jardine 4 into 1
      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by EricHa View Post
        Just get yourself a bonded title for the bike. You obtain an insurance bond which in effect insures the value of your purchased bike.
        Problem is, Erich, someone already did that for his vin#. He can't get a bonded title for a bike that SOS shows already is titled elsewhere.

WSL: PM me. I have a fairly simple solution .
        Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
        stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Hi Tom, yeah I guess that is a mess. I suppose that a simple fix would be in the vein of Fred's non-suggestion.
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
            Problem is, Erich, someone already did that for his vin#. He can't get a bonded title for a bike that SOS shows already is titled elsewhere.

WSL: PM me. I have a fairly simple solution .
            Tom
            I sent you an email to the address I have for you.
            Thanks for the offer.
            John
            1970? Honda Z50... gone
            1974 Honda CB200... gone
            2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
              Hi John,
              I would never council someone to creatively use a grinding wheel and a set of letter stamps to make the frame VIN match the paperwork, that'd be illegal, right?
              The frame STICKER probably wouldn't respond favorably to the grinder
              1970? Honda Z50... gone
              1974 Honda CB200... gone
              2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
                The frame STICKER probably wouldn't respond favorably to the grinder
                What sticker......

Stickers fall off alllllllll the time
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  What sticker......

Stickers fall off alllllllll the time
                  Yea I think it was flapping if I remember right
                  1970? Honda Z50... gone
                  1974 Honda CB200... gone
                  2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Frame #

John, Just to be sure we're all on the same page, We're talking about the numbers on the frame neck on the right side, that are stamped into the frame, right?

Those are the numbers that need to match your title & can be accidentally obliterated (assuming they're wrong).
                    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by tom clisham View Post
                      John, Just to be sure we're all on the same page, We're talking about the numbers on the frame neck on the right side, that are stamped into the frame, right?

Those are the numbers that need to match your title & can be accidentally obliterated (assuming they're wrong).
                      Yes the numbers on the right side of the motor on top of lower case which are stamped over a ribbed background and there is a sticker on the left front of the steering neck and they match one another. If there are numbers somewhere else I don't know about them and someone will have to direct me to them. When I took it to the police the officer told me there should be numbers on the forks and I told him I'd not heard of it on these old bikes. He also didn't like the space between the 3h3 XXXXX and thought that was a problem. He was a nice kid and I should have given his name to my daughter. The dealer that sold it is checking for records from the time to see if they sold the other bike (2H) so it must be a standard. It really doen't matter what happened I need to find the title holder for my VIN and see if I have his title. I'd like to attempt contact with the other title holder as I will then have a pretty clean conscience about next options. I've leaned a little on the seller and he's getting me a notarized statement that this is the bike the dealer sold him along with a copy of the sales recpt. That along with my form from the police and visits to the DMV should show that I've done about all a person can do to remedy the problem. I also am working a lead for a 79 special frame and title in WI.
                      Last edited by WSL91; 04-22-2012, 05:41 AM. Reason: missed something
                      1970? Honda Z50... gone
                      1974 Honda CB200... gone
                      2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

If you look on the steering neck, on the right side (the sticker is on the left side) the original VIN is stamped into the metal on the neck. The sticker may get removed or work through from years in the weather, but those stamped numbers will still be there (unless Fred used to won it ).

With the way the world seems to work today, you will probably find the guy with your correct VIN title and he will either claim your bike as his, or ask you for several hundred dollars for the transaction to correct your problems.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          If you look on the steering neck, on the right side (the sticker is on the left side) the original VIN is stamped into the metal on the neck. The sticker may get removed or work through from years in the weather, but those stamped numbers will still be there (unless Fred used to won it ).

With the way the world seems to work today, you will probably find the guy with your correct VIN title and he will either claim your bike as his, or ask you for several hundred dollars for the transaction to correct your problems.
                          Yes the other guy currently has no problem and therefore no incentive to help other than going the right thing so I've set my expectation to low.
                          1970? Honda Z50... gone
                          1974 Honda CB200... gone
                          2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

You might try going further up the food chain at the DMV; I've found that some 'local' outlets won't stick their necks out or even do what's allowed because of the additional work. I don't know about where you are, but here most of these places are merely 'outlets' and not directly part of the state (merely collecting 'agent' fees). A phone call to the main 'official' office will sometimes clear these things up or at least get them moving in the right direction.

If I get what you're saying, it sounds like there's now two titles with the same VIN on them; yours, and the 'other' bike with it's 'corrected' title. Sounds like somebody made a mistake, so they should be obligated to fix it. You might even call your local legislator and explain the problem, sometimes a call from somebody 'important' can move the bureaucrats to action.

I always check VINs when buying a vehicle, this is more common than you think....
                            Last edited by crazy steve; 04-22-2012, 08:10 AM.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                              You might try going further up the food chain at the DMV; I've found that some 'local' outlets won't stick their necks out or even do what's allowed because of the additional work. I don't know about where you are, but here most of these places are merely 'outlets' and not directly part of the state (merely collecting 'agent' fees). A phone call to the main 'official' office will sometimes clear these things up or at least get them moving in the right direction.

If I get what you're saying, it sounds like there's now two titles with the same VIN on them; yours, and the 'other' bike with it's 'corrected' title. Sounds like somebody made a mistake, so they should be obligated to fix it. You might even call your local legislator and explain the problem, sometimes a call from somebody 'important' can move the bureaucrats to action.

I always check VINs when buying a vehicle, this is more common than you think....
                              I have a title that was handed over by the bike shop and its not the VIN of the bike in my possession, The VIN of the bike in my possession exists on a current modified title held by someone else that was BONDED which loosely translates to someone had to do something special to get their bike registered. Either VIN checks didn't exist when they did that OR I may be headed into an outright crime thing or who knows. Both are 79s. The title I have is for a Standard, the title the other person has is for my special.

I had some advice from my tractor friends to contact the IL Secretary of State police as this is what they do and ask them what my options are. I've determined contact info for them and plan to call them on Monday. It would seem to me that the holder of the title with my VIN needs to do a VIN check on the bike they has and it should fail. Whether or not its the VIN I have on my title who know but seems possible. I'm not known for someone who sets around and does nothing or has a lot of patience for stupid. I don't know how someone could ride a bike for 8 years unaware that the VIN didn't match. The work I'm doing now should have been done by the seller so I don't know how much more of my time I'm willing to invest in a 33 year old motorcycle. There are likely more 79s out there for sale somewhere.

I'm going to give it next week to make some progress but late next weekend will evaluate if its time to make it the sellers problem or mine. I can transfer the title I was given but I would think that once I've done that it would be hard to go back against the seller since knowing the problems now and transferring the title would show assumption of the problem. I have a Saturday get away day planned next weekend with a stop at a bike parts swap and possibly another XS owner home and drive time will give me a little time to consider all options.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice. I can say that I have a lot of options.
                              1970? Honda Z50... gone
                              1974 Honda CB200... gone
                              2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Working...
                              X