X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
    LoL

There's no reason to believe that... the ZRX carbs worked fine with a hole drilled into them for vac advance...
    thanks for the reassurance, i thought it didnt look to difficult, especially since my guy will be doing it not me. i mentioned this in my build thread, but the guy that is doing the work for me is Larry McBride he was the first guy in the 5's on a motorcycle at 249mph. great guy and loves to share his knowledge.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
      I am not going to do it myself, the guy i got the carbs from is going to do it for me, he has a full machine shop and builds drag bikes for a living. yeah the last thing i need is to mess up my new carbs. so i will leave it to the pros. and i will ask him what he had to do to set the carbs for the single cable. I have to call him tomorow and will ask him then. on thing about my carbs is that they were originally set up to be used on a legands race car, and as far as i know all he did was to put in a heavier spring in it for the single cable to work, but i will check.
      If you can get a picture at some point that would help too! Sounds like your going to have a nice bike when he's done. If you can, ask what jets are in them too (your motor is stock right?). Did they come off a XJ1100 or 1200? Thanks!
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

You know those POs we laugh at and hate at times? Don't become one.
        you could always fill the hole in and you still have 3 more carbs to drill
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

talked to larry

i talked to larry today, and he said that he didnt do anything to the carbs to make it work with a single cable, that the spring was strong enough that you really didnt need the second cable. i will have to say the the throttle works the same as the stock carbs, when you pull the throttle and let off it snaps right back no problem.
          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

i talked to larry today, and he said that he didnt do anything to the carbs to make it work with a single cable, that the spring was strong enough that you really didnt need the second cable. i will have to say the the throttle works the same as the stock carbs, when you pull the throttle and let off it snaps right back no problem.
            Great! Any idea if he is using the stock jets? Any idea what year bike they came from and if it was a 11 or 1200?
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Small world isn't it. Larry's shop is the one that BORED my jugs for my 1179 kit. I did all of the other mechanic work, but wanted a Pro Bike Shop that was familiar with bike cylinders to do the boring...took the pistons and rings in and he matched them up.

I would imagine that just like the XS carbs, the hole will be made so that comes thru the body/throat just behind the butterfly valve, but photos and other info would be nice to have for a tech tip!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Great! Any idea if he is using the stock jets? Any idea what year bike they came from and if it was a 11 or 1200?
                he jetted the carbs to work with my pod filters and straight exhaust, cant remember off the top of my head, and it was the 1100.
                xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Small world isn't it. Larry's shop is the one that BORED my jugs for my 1179 kit. I did all of the other mechanic work, but wanted a Pro Bike Shop that was familiar with bike cylinders to do the boring...took the pistons and rings in and he matched them up.

I would imagine that just like the XS carbs, the hole will be made so that comes thru the body/throat just behind the butterfly valve, but photos and other info would be nice to have for a tech tip!

T.C.
                  yeah i will take pics of where the vaccume will go. i talked to larry today and he said that the fj uses a vaccume advance as well, but i am not sure where it attaches on them. but i will get as much info from larry as i can and post it as i go.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

had TC and GLoweVA look at the carbs today and i think we might have found a good place to hook up the vaccume advance, dont have my camera right now, but i should be able to take some pics tomorow and post them.
                    Last edited by Nightengale; 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM.
                    xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

what we found

If you can get a picture at some point that would help too! Sounds like your going to have a nice bike when he's done. If you can, ask what jets are in them too (your motor is stock right?). Did they come off a XJ1100 or 1200? Thanks!
                      yesterday i had TC and GloweVA come over as we were going to get my monster running, but leaking petcocks and dead battery has set that back, but we did get to sit and try to figure the best place to put the vaccume advance on at. and this is what we saw (thank TC for pics)
                      this is a pic of his carbs showing the vac connection on the carbs

and this is a pic of the fj carbs and it looks like i might be able to have it attach in the same location as the stock carbs, with a little work.

any suggestions, or concerns welcome
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

still trying to figure out everything on the vac advance, just trying to make sure i have it all figured out before i start drilling.
                        Last edited by Nightengale; 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM.
                        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

still trying to figure out everything on the vac advance, just trying to make sure i have it all figured out before i start drilling.
                          Just thinking out loud here but, in the end you should end up with a hole as close to the same size of the hole in the XS carbs... dont know if you thought of that...

Now for some peer pressure... GROW A PAIR AND GET-R-DONE!
                          '79 XS11 F
                          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                          Stock, no title.

Comment

time

Just thinking out loud here but, in the end you should end up with a hole as close to the same size of the hole in the XS carbs... dont know if you thought of that...

Now for some peer pressure... GROW A PAIR AND GET-R-DONE!
                            do you or anyone else know the the size of that, but yeah i do need to get it done just makes me nervous drilling into a brand new set of carbs. I have also been busy as hell at work and between that and my kids havent had much time to mess with it.
                            xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Dont know the size but I would suggest first drilling a small hole the correct diameter first. Then you can figure out the material thickness and then you know how deep you can safely drill for the nipple hole. This is a little but of precision surgery.
                              Nathan
                              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                              K&N Filter
                              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                              OEM Exhaust
                              ATK Fork Brace
                              LED Dash lights
                              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                              SS Brake Lines
                              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

do you or anyone else know the the size of that, but yeah i do need to get it done just makes me nervous drilling into a brand new set of carbs. I have also been busy as hell at work and between that and my kids havent had much time to mess with it.
                                No idea what size it is... if it is it possible to remove the brass "insert" from an XS carb and press it into the newly drilled hole of your ZRX carbs..? JAT... might not be worth the effort.

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                                Dont know the size but I would suggest first drilling a small hole the correct diameter first. Then you can figure out the material thickness and then you know how deep you can safely drill for the nipple hole. This is a little but of precision surgery.
                                Good idea Nate, they you can mark your drill with a sharpie or masking tape so you dont go too deep...
                                '79 XS11 F
                                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                                Stock, no title.

Comment

Working...
                                X