vaccume advance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaccume advance question

is there any reason the vaccume advance is connected to the number two carb, because i am setting my fj carbs to work with the vaccume advance and wanted to make sure it worked as it should. my thinking is that it shouldnt matter which carb it is connected to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, i just want to make sure i am doing it right.
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

I am not sure about that but i do know the connection on #2 is metered because i hooked my advance to the carb boot nipple and it started clanking because of too much vacuum so the one on the #2 carb is just the right amount of vacuum at the right time. It also makes a huge difference on how the bike runs with a load. My bike would rev awesome until i put it in gear to take off then i would have to rev it to move until i figured out my vacuum was unhooked then it ran great when i hooked it up.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

As long as the vacuum is ported, that is no vacuum at idle, it shouldn't matter which carb you use.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        As long as the vacuum is ported, that is no vacuum at idle, it shouldn't matter which carb you use.
        thats what i thought.
        xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I honestly think it is just put on an inside carb for protection of the nipple so that it does not get hit and snapped off.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            I honestly think it is just put on an inside carb for protection of the nipple so that it does not get hit and snapped off.
            that does make sense
            xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Hey Folks,

He said he has FJ carbs, not XJ carbs, I just looked at the fiche and they don't show any vacuum ports on the carb bodies, just the fuel inlets, and the vent T's...surprised to see vent T's....Yamaha was able to eliminate those with the later style XS carbs, so wondering why they put it back on the FJ carbs?

But, we've talked about the vacuum advance vacuum source before, and you can't put it on the INTAKE BOOT port, the #2 XS/XJ carbs have the proper metered and controlled vac. port for the vac. adv.!

There has also been discussion of folks drilling a NON-XS/XJ carb to put a vac port on the carb body behind the butterfly valve.

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Yeah, he is looking at drilling the FJ carbs for the vac advance.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                  Hey Folks,

He said he has FJ carbs, not XJ carbs, I just looked at the fiche and they don't show any vacuum ports on the carb bodies, just the fuel inlets, and the vent T's...surprised to see vent T's....Yamaha was able to eliminate those with the later style XS carbs, so wondering why they put it back on the FJ carbs?

But, we've talked about the vacuum advance vacuum source before, and you can't put it on the INTAKE BOOT port, the #2 XS/XJ carbs have the proper metered and controlled vac. port for the vac. adv.!

There has also been discussion of folks drilling a NON-XS/XJ carb to put a vac port on the carb body behind the butterfly valve.

T.C.
                  I think the folks you talk about are the ones who use the ZXR carbs. Do a search and you will probably find some tips on where to drill the hole and how big it needs to be.

Im interested in hearing how well the FJ carbs work. Keep us posted and if you can, write a how-to. Im going Friday to pick up a FJ parts bike and have been wondering if the carbs/exhaust can be used on the XS.
                  '79 XS11 F
                  Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                  Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                  GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

read it

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
                    I think the folks you talk about are the ones who use the ZXR carbs. Do a search and you will probably find some tips on where to drill the hole and how big it needs to be.

Im interested in hearing how well the FJ carbs work. Keep us posted and if you can, write a how-to. Im going Friday to pick up a FJ parts bike and have been wondering if the carbs/exhaust can be used on the XS.
                    i read that forum and know where to drill the hole, i just wanted to know if it mattered which carb to do it on. and from what i have read on here they have been used before on these bikes, and have had good reviews. So far all i can say is that there was no problem fitting them to the bike, and the guy that i got the carbs from set them up to use a single cable instead of the push/pull cables that the fj uses.

also TC i was looking at the vent T's what are those for exactlly.
                    Last edited by Nightengale; 04-18-2012, 07:49 PM.
                    xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

id like too see what you come up with , because I havent the heart to drill into mine yet .
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
                        i read that forum and know where to drill the hole, i just wanted to know if it mattered which carb to do it on. and from what i have read on here they have been used before on these bikes, and have had good reviews. So far all i can say is that there was no problem fitting them to the bike, and the guy that i got the carbs from set them up to use a single cable instead of the push/pull cables that the fj uses.

also TC i was looking at the vent T's what are those for exactlly.
                        Let us know how what he use to convert it over to pull cable.
                        '79 XS11 F
                        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                        Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

You know those POs we laugh at and hate at times? Don't become one.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I think if you try to drill them all you'll end up with is a FUBAR set of carbs.

LoL

There's no reason to believe that... the ZRX carbs worked fine with a hole drilled into them for vac advance...
                            '79 XS11 F
                            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                            Stock, no title.

Comment

not me

I am not going to do it myself, the guy i got the carbs from is going to do it for me, he has a full machine shop and builds drag bikes for a living. yeah the last thing i need is to mess up my new carbs. so i will leave it to the pros. and i will ask him what he had to do to set the carbs for the single cable. I have to call him tomorow and will ask him then. on thing about my carbs is that they were originally set up to be used on a legands race car, and as far as i know all he did was to put in a heavier spring in it for the single cable to work, but i will check.
                              Last edited by Nightengale; 04-18-2012, 09:16 PM.
                              xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Working...
                              X