Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy here

Hello guys,

Im new here, i have an 80 1100 midnight special that i put a 4 into 1 and pod filters...wondering if the stock jets are "good" enough for it to atleast start? or do i need to jet them? I have done the conversion to new style fuse box..am getting spark but backfiring not turning over?//Dont know what to do next..carbs have been apart and thoroughly cleaned..there were at least 2 pilot jets that were clogged real bad...still no changes...also replaced timing wires correctly as suggested on a lot of threads...trimmed spark plug wires 1/4"...bike has run for a couple min since ive owned it.. have owned for past two years..was on rd before i bought it from the "other" guy...could bad plugs cause this..?...or maybe my timing that far off?

Helllp!!

I have owned a 1980 xs1100 midnight special for two years now and have been unsuccessful to get the old girl up and going again...wondering if there are any xs mechanics in the rochester ny area that could help me out...thanks in advance!! I wanna ride this beast!!

Comment

You may still have carb issues; these are notoriously hard to clean and great care must be used when reassembling to make sure they're 'right'. Many owners have had to clean their carbs multiple times, you may be one of them...

Start here....http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36017
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Have you tried starting it with the fuel enricher (choke) on? When you cleaned your carbs did you pay attention to cleaning the bowl passages that feed fuel to the fuel enricher circuit? Will the bike start if you spray starting fluid on the pod filters?
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

And what did you do with the stock exhaust??????
          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
          A quick death and an easy one.
          A pretty girl and an honest one.
          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I'd avoid the supposedly 'professional' carb rebuild places which are all over eBay. My experience of one was dreadful and other people have been dissastisfied with the results (and the cost). I would persevere with doing it yourself. It's a bit of a learning curve but well worth doing and you're in the right place for lots of help. No question is stupid, so don't be afraid to ask.

Have you checked your carb diaphragms, by the way?

Personally, I prefer the stock filter setup on these bikes. Pod filters usually do mean rejetting in order to take advantage of the improved respiration. Pod filters with standard jets is (IMO) a bit pointless. I also think pods look ugly but, again, that's a personal opinion and we all have one of those, right?
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
            X