Transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trbig View Post
    Working on the flightline in the Air Force, the new guy always gets sent to get the keys for a certain jet... usually the general's to add more urgency. (For those puzzled, they don't use a key) That and a bottle of pneumatic fluid.
    Let's not forget, "Go get me a bucket of prop wash...six feet of flight line....a stack of ID-10-T forms...etc."
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
      The allen socket in the head of the filler plugs are notorious for rounding off making removal a bitch. When you put the filler plugs back in here is a little tip that will make them much easier to get off next time. At an auto parts store buy some of the large size copper washers for banjo bolts used on brake systems. They are the right size and will seal the cap off with just a snug.
      Mike,

Is the copper washer a better choice than the OEM aluminum ones? I know with copper I can hit it with a torch and reuse it. What about aluminum?
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by TADracer View Post
        The allen socket in the head of the filler plugs are notorious for rounding off making removal a bitch. When you put the filler plugs back in here is a little tip that will make them much easier to get off next time. At an auto parts store buy some of the large size copper washers for banjo bolts used on brake systems. They are the right size and will seal the cap off with just a snug.

Great tip! Somehow, those allen bolts go from @ 14 ft pounds when I put them on, to 50+ ft pounds when taking them off. Those crush washers hold back tons of PSI, so it should be just fine there without leaking with NO pressure on it.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow I learn so much here for the filler plugs I just put a thick Oring on there and finger tight is about right. The terms in the Navy were different so would you guys go look for the bulkhead remover then maybe you will get the sweet job of cleaning out the honey pit.
          To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
          1980 G Silverbird
          Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
          1198 Overbore kit
          Grizzly 660 ACCT
          Barnett Clutch Springs
          R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
          122.5 Main Jets
          ACCT Mod
          Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
          Antivibe Bar ends