Transmission question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission question

I found the caps for the front and rear trans. It requires an allen wrench. I have all kinds of Allen wrenches but not one that size. Can anyone help with the size?
    79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

8mm..............
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by virstens View Post
      I found the caps for the front and rear trans. It requires an allen wrench. I have all kinds of Allen wrenches but not one that size. Can anyone help with the size?
      Hi Virstens,
      Make sure you have the filler hole opened before you open the drain hole and loose all the oil with no hole to refill
      Be sure to use METRIC Allen wrench as you need the proper fit to not strip it.
      Soak with PBBlaster or even WD40 to help loosen the threads. They can be real bastards to get out especially if the bike has sat for a long time.
      If choosing synthetic apparently you need 80/140 for Dino oil 80/90 as the manual says.

Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

aaaah. metric. Did not know they had metric Allen wrenches. I was looking at a YouTube video and this guy used Walmart super tech 80-90 gl5. what is Dino oil ? 80-90 seems to be in most stores but I had a hard time finding 20-50 for the engine. Ended up at K mart.
        79 XS1100F

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

"There are four boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order."

Comment

Originally posted by virstens View Post
          aaaah. metric. Did not know they had metric Allen wrenches. I was looking at a YouTube video and this guy used Walmart super tech 80-90 gl5. what is Dino oil ? 80-90 seems to be in most stores but I had a hard time finding 20-50 for the engine. Ended up at K mart.
          Hi virstens,
          Dino refers to the dinosaurs. some people suggest their bones are what mineral oil is made from. The crude stuff
          Yes 20/50 is getting more difficult to find.
          Phil
          1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
          1983 XJ 650 Maxim
          2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Yep, metric allen "Hex head" wrenches for our metric bike!

The hard tool to find is the metric channel locks! JJ.

Dino is natural crude, recommended for the engine proper, but it's perfectly okay to use SYNTHETIC for the middle and final drives gear lube oil.

Also, make sure the 20/50 you found does NOT have any friction modifiers, the upper half of the SAE circle should be blank.

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The size of the fill bolts on the middle and final drive units is a 6MM allen wrench. It is ok to use synthetic gear lube if you wish.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yup, your right Phil. Sorry my bad. That's what I get for trying to work from memory.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

that's just too funny....I remember my first day in machine shop...they sent me to get a metric channel locks from one guy...that wasn't funny then..it is now thou
                  Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I started into Carpentry at 15, Got sent for the left handed hammer and screw driver set. Fortunately for me, my father was a carpenter (how I got into the work) and he was left handed, so I knew better. But I played along, went somewhere else on the job site and did some other work for a couple hours, came back with this puzzled look. They all laughed for a while. Easier to let them think they got me on an easy one than make them try harder.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

The 20-50 casterol gtx that I found has "API SN" in the top half of the circle. I drove al over to find this oil. I hope this will work?
                      79 XS1100F

Comment

Hey Virstens,

Sorry, my bad, the Castrol GTX you found is good stuff, the energy conserving phrase is in the LOWER half of the API seal! That darn CRS gets me sometimes!

T.C.
                        T. C. Gresham
                        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                        History shows again and again,
                        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The one on the left is correct......

The one on the right is not.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by mikubuilder View Post
                            that's just too funny....I remember my first day in machine shop...they sent me to get a metric channel locks from one guy...that wasn't funny then..it is now thou

Working on the flightline in the Air Force, the new guy always gets sent to get the keys for a certain jet... usually the general's to add more urgency. (For those puzzled, they don't use a key) That and a bottle of pneumatic fluid.
                            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                            '06 Suzuki DR650
                            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                            '81 XS1100 Special
                            '81 YZ250
                            '80 XS850 Special
                            '80 XR100
                            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The allen socket in the head of the filler plugs are notorious for rounding off making removal a bitch. When you put the filler plugs back in here is a little tip that will make them much easier to get off next time. At an auto parts store buy some of the large size copper washers for banjo bolts used on brake systems. They are the right size and will seal the cap off with just a snug.
                              Mike Giroir
                              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Working...
                              X