No announcement yet.

My carbs are getting closer, however...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My carbs are getting closer, however...

I replaced my main and pilot jets because i was having issues with my carbs. I have a 1979 XS1100 Special with 78 carbs on it.

I put in new 147.5 main jets and 45 pilots and synced the carbs, it runs good at idle and when i twist the throttle quick, it no longer stutters or backfires out the intake. However, it does seem a little slow.

So i took it out on a quick spin and it doesn't have much for power. It is extremely slow when going 55 in 5th gear and trying to accelerate. Could this be a float height problem?

It barely speeds up at all when trying to accelerate at low rpms, the more throttle you give it, slow slower it goes.

I don't know much about it my guess it either the jets are still off, or the floats aren't right.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks

Edit: The bike has pod filters and 4 to 1 kerker exhaust and i uses the formula to figure out what jets i should use for a starting point. In case anyone is wondering. Thanks
    Last edited by Haarstad; 04-12-2012, 05:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something
    Eric Haarstad
    Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

My guess is the jets are too big. That's five sizes over, you really shouldn't be more than three over....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well jets go in sizes of 2.5, so this should be 4 sizes larger...
      I was told that for:
      4/1 exhaust= +2 sizes
      individual air pods= +3 sizes
      You are suppose to minus 1 size from the total, which would make the total +4.
      Stock jet size is 137.5 and when you add 4 sizes, it should be 147.5

Is there another way to do this that will work better?
      Eric Haarstad
      Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

I agree, jets too big. I always think that chart usually ends up at least 1 size too big.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I think a 3-size add for the pods is overkill personally. What do your plugs look like? What's your mileage? What jetting did you change from?
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I didn't ride it enough to get a good reading on mileage, just enough to see what it was doing.

My starting jets were 137.5 and i moved up +4

So do you think i should get 142.5 and 145 on my jets or just try the +3 first and buy the 145 jets?
            Eric Haarstad
            Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

eric

with all the carb work we do on these bikes, ive never heard that the tech tip on jet sizes was wrong, but each bike can be diff according to what the supplier of the mods u have. the Kerker may not really even need to be included in the formula cause i have one and i didnt change from the factory jets. the bike runs great! my understanding when i bought my Kerker was you dont need to do a jet change. just my experience, anyone else have carb jetting exp. w/Kerker?
              Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
              Kerker 4/1
              stock carbs and air box.
              78 headlite, handle bars,
              1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
              crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
              78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
              94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

It's not that the tech tip is wrong, it is only a rough estimation of where to start. I especially think that the more things that you stack on the farther off it ends up being.

with some of the stuff I had on my bike previously that chart said i should have went up 3 sizes, I only went up 2 and my plugs showed that I was still running rich.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Think of the engine as an air pump. You can't move more air out than you take in, or vice versa. In theory, if the intake and exhaust are a perfect match and you change one of them, you shouldn't need to make carburetor changes because you can still only move the same amount of air. I know this is over simplified, but a good place to begin understanding the system.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by Haarstad View Post
                    I put in new 147.5 main jets and 45 pilots and synced the carbs, it runs good at idle and when i twist the throttle quick, it no longer stutters or backfires out the intake. However, it does seem a little slow.
                    OK, I keep spec sheets on my bike. I looked at one from a few years ago before I upgraded my carbs to Keihins. I was completely stock except for pod filters and 4-1 header. My sweet spot with the Mikunis was 142.5 mains and 42.5 pilot jets. I do think your jetting is a bit large right now.
                    Mike Giroir
                    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

Well, I double checked the mains that I started with, and it turns out they were 140's, not 137.5. Do you guys think I should go ahead and get the 142.5 and the 145's? I was thinking I should just get them both so I don't have to wait for the other ones to ship if one is wrong.
                      Eric Haarstad
                      Minnesota

1979 XS1100 Special

Comment

If all of the carbs are running the same way (color the plugs) then this is probably not an issue... The pressed-in air jets are easily plugged and can be difficult to clean. Those are air bleeds for the emulsion tubes over the main jets. It stands to reason that if they are restricted, the mains will pull fuel faster, leading to an over-rich condition. But it really isn't likely to have them all fouling at the same time because of this (maybe).
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
                        X