No announcement yet.

Worth buying these 2 bikes for parts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth buying these 2 bikes for parts??

I stumbled across these two XSes this morning, told they were a '78 for parts and an '80 that "was running" but lost spark. The inspection sticker on the '78 expired in 2001 and the '80 in 1998. The current owner bought them both last year figuring he could make one running bike out of them, he's tinkered with them but no longer has time for them and wants to sell them. What I found is that the supposed '78 has matching numbers on the frame and motor starting with 3J6 making it an '80SG, not a '78. The supposed '80 that "lost spark" has a frame with 3J6 with a motor starting with 2H7...a frankenbike with a '78E motor in an '80SG frame. I snapped a few pics of the bikes and spare parts and figured I'd throw them up on the site for your viewing pleasure. If there is enough interest, I thought I'd buy them and sell needed parts to fellow XSives at reasonable prices and maybe pocket a little scratch for myself to feed my own habit. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them as best I can. Here goes...

"Parts Bike"-1980SG

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Parts Bike exhaust

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

'80SG frame with '78E motor

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

and it's Pacifico Fairing/bracket

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Air box and side covers

[IMG][/IMG]

Seats

[IMG][/IMG]

Seats pans (with octy instructions)

[IMG][/IMG]

Misc. parts

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Owner says he has titles to both bikes. I understand and appreciate the purists here who love to see these forgotten bikes make their way back to the roads but with 30 year old bikes, if some of them don't end up as donors, it's hard to find parts to keep the running ones running. Thoughts, impressions...what do you think?
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Lots of parts there, but not many in very good condition. I guess it depends on how much he's asking for them. I'd think anything less than $200 would be enough to make me want to take the pile home.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

So the reality is that he has 2 non-runners. I think you'd have to be pretty lucky to get 1 running bike out of the 2. I think it would be tough even parting them as most of the parts are rusted/beat up.

I recently had a similar opportunity for $1200 and 1 actually ran although it looked like these and I walked away without even counter offering. I was thinking $500 was high with 1 running considering the shape
      1970? Honda Z50... gone
      1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
      1974 Honda CB200... gone
      1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
      1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
      2008 Honda VTX 1800F
      1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

I had the opportunity to by two bikes for $300 a month ago. 80G and an XJ they were both in bad shape. There were missing seats, controls, side covers and exhaust. I was able to put the 80G together with parts I had laying around and sold it for $900 the same day I listed it. (The new owner had a grin from ear to ear when he got back from test ridding it...I knew it was sold )

It might be worth getting if it is under $300 and closer to $200.
        Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
        80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
        82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
        82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
        72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

There's a couple hundred $$ worth there.... maybe a bit more if that standard exhaust on the 'runner' would clean up...
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

time & trouble

Lots of crappy parts there. A long ordeal to try to get a runner out of em.
            Parts are not easy to sell. Everyone looking for cheap parts.
            You got 2 special tanks that may or may not be worth something.
            The gold in the pile is the 3 sets of carbs. both bikes had carb & 1 in the basket. Everything else is a lot of work for a little return. if they're early carbs they'll be easier to sell & 3 should be worth around $300 if complete.
            $200.00 for the lot might be ok if you just want the adventure.
            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

I have brought home several nicer bikes that I got for $0.00. It's a hassle just to haul them off. I might reconsider if there's something in there that I really needed. Selling those parts off is a job as well. I have brought home lots of junk that I wish I hadn't. It's a lot of work for little return.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Hell, just try to give away parts on this forum for shipping from here and it will give others nightmares. Unless you see yourself making something of the parts do not go there. I have parts here that people desire for sure but shipping can make or break a deal. If you think parts are the way to go you will be suprised at how cheap everyone is on this site. Not everyone but most for sure, are looking for the deal they will not get.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                X