What would cause this???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would cause this???

I am helping MaximPhil repair his second gear on "Addie" and I found this all I can say is Phil is lucky we went in to repair his second gear. I think Phil will be needing another gear Phil should be online soon adding his comments

As you can see there is a crack straight across the gear
    Last edited by tinman905; 04-10-2012, 07:50 PM.
    BDF Special
    80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.
    Dyno tuned to 98 hp at the rear wheel.

Someone probably installed the clutch basket improperly and tightened it down without meshing the teeth on the two gears.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

"Hey, this clutch basket won't go on all the way?"

"Slide it back and shove it forward REALLY hard! If that doesn't work, just hit it with that dead-blow hammer until it goes!"
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I realized that after I posted. I am surprised the gear didn't come apart by now. Glad we caught when we did, it almost went back together like this.I think better lights in the garage will be needed too.

Originally posted by tinman905 View Post
        I am helping MaximPhil repair his second gear on "Addie" and I found this all I can say is Phil is lucky we went in to repair his second gear. I think Phil will be needing another gear Phil should be online soon adding his comments

As you can see there is a crack straight across the gear
        BDF Special
        80SG Vetter bagger 1196 Wiseco big bore kit, Mega Cycle Cams, slotted cam gears, ported and flowed head, bronze intake seats, Dyno Jet kit, Dyno coils and Mikes XS air pods, Venture cam chain adjuster,Geezer's regulator, Clutch mod, Mac 4 into 1 with custom built and tuned baffle, Oil cooler,MikesXS emulators mod.

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          "Hey, this clutch basket won't go on all the way?"

"Slide it back and shove it forward REALLY hard! If that doesn't work, just hit it with that dead-blow hammer until it goes!"
          Looks like a 3lb sledge was used.
          BDF Special

Comment

Better lights or less imbibing?

Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

[QUOTE=Elevener;367216]Better lights or less imbibing?

Better lights of course ,there's nothing wrong with the beer
              BDF Special

Comment

Hmmmmm.... Noticing the metal lathe in the back. I don't know what I'd do with one, but I sure would like to have one! lol.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
                  Hmmmmm.... Noticing the metal lathe in the back. I don't know what I'd do with one, but I sure would like to have one! lol.
                  You saw that too huh?

Hey, one more post and you hit 6,000!
                  Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                  Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by trbig
                    You saw that too huh?
                    What I noticed was the chuck key still in the chuck. Might be handy for keeping track of it but it's asking for trouble.
                    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                      You saw that too huh?

Hey, one more post and you hit 6,000!

Just goes to show you... post count does NOT necessarilly equal knowledge/intelligence.

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100