Fork Seal Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Seal Woes

So I just replaced my fork seals a few weeks ago. Problem is that now they leak even more than they did before. Size was right according to info on here and in other sources. I was wondering if it would be because it has been cold and the rubber has yet to make a nice seal. Does this make sense? Or do I need to just go straight to buying new seals?
    1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
    1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
    1967 Yamaha YL2C

Where did you source the seals? I just replaced mine and had oil on the fork legs last ride. The next ones will come from somewhere else.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I used leak proof on my XS with no problems, they just drop in. Im scared to use them on any of my other bikes after reading reviews of them.

But if they are leaking now I dont think they will get better, doesnt work that way in my experience. But if you have to ride it while waiting for parts putting a rolled up disposible blue shop towel under the dust boot keeps it from making a mess.

And you know standard and "special" are different sizes?

edit: jet dont be shy, say what didnt work for you
      Last edited by Elevener; 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM.
      Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

What happens sometimes on the Special forks is that the seal gets sliced/nicked by the lower stanchion bushing when reassembling. Next time, cut a piece of plastic soda bottle to wrap around the bushing until it's past the seal, then slide it out. Can also use a film negative.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
          What happens sometimes on the Special forks is that the seal gets sliced/nicked by the lower stanchion bushing when reassembling. Next time, cut a piece of plastic soda bottle to wrap around the bushing until it's past the seal, then slide it out. Can also use a film negative.
          Hmmm.....so, quite possibly, the leak is my fault.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

bikerphil, I believe I got the shop/paper towel trick from one of your posts didnt I? And negative film, didnt think you were as old as some of us .

If an old seal starts leaking I have always heard you can use something like that to slide around the seal to possibly remove dirt that causes the leak, not applyable here....
            Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I guess

I've been doing it wrong. I always put the upper in the lower first, then slip the seal onto the upper and slide it down into place. I have a piece of abs pipe trimmed down to use to seat the seal that last 1/4 inch into the lower. Never have had any problems cutting the seals on the bushings though.
              mack
              79 XS 1100 SF Special
              HERMES
              original owner
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
              SPICA
              http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
              IOTA
              https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
              https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
              Frankford, Ont, Canada
              613-398-6186

Comment

As far as keeping seals, after you ride, wipe the forks with a rag dampened with fork oil. That way, your seals won't be wiping the dirt and bugs off. I do this every day with airplane struts.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                  I've been doing it wrong. I always put the upper in the lower first, then slip the seal onto the upper and slide it down into place. I have a piece of abs pipe trimmed down to use to seat the seal that last 1/4 inch into the lower. Never have had any problems cutting the seals on the bushings though.
                  That's how I do mine too; never any issues with damaging the seals that way...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Azoroth View Post
                    So I just replaced my fork seals a few weeks ago. Problem is that now they leak even more than they did before. Size was right according to info on here and in other sources. I was wondering if it would be because it has been cold and the rubber has yet to make a nice seal. Does this make sense? Or do I need to just go straight to buying new seals?
                    Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                    Where did you source the seals? I just replaced mine and had oil on the fork legs last ride. The next ones will come from somewhere else.
                    If you get too agressive knocking those new seals in you can damage them.

BTDT.....
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I am thibking that it is a problem with the brand. I got mine from pyramid parts. My dad bought some dor my sisters bike and they leak. Same brand. I mainly bought those only because I wanted the wipers. I think the big OEM dust boots are ugly.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
                      1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post

And you know standard and "special" are different sizes?

edit: jet dont be shy, say what didnt work for you

Yeah. I worked that out. I can see that would be a first thought answer though.
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100SG
                        1967 Yamaha YL2C

Comment

Originally posted by Elevener View Post
                          bikerphil, I believe I got the shop/paper towel trick from one of your posts didnt I? And negative film, didnt think you were as old as some of us .

If an old seal starts leaking I have always heard you can use something like that to slide around the seal to possibly remove dirt that causes the leak, not applyable here....
                          Yep, the paper towel under the dust boot is a good trick for a slow leaking seal. As for the film negative, a pro dirt racer friend of mine taught me that one, for stopping leaks.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I bought a set from Georgefix, on ebay. installed them and had the same issue, leakers. Upon inspection, it appears Phil hit the nail on the head. You could see where the seal lip was torn. I used his soda bottle trick on the second set, no leaks as of yet.
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I put Leak Proof seals on my MNS about 15000 miles ago, and have had no leaks.
                              1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                              1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                              A quick death and an easy one.
                              A pretty girl and an honest one.
                              A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Working...
                              X