No announcement yet.

Rev limiter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe check the mechanical timing advance unit, could be frozen/stuck closed, JAT.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Maybe check the mechanical timing advance unit, could be frozen/stuck closed, JAT.
      And after that remove the mouse and his house from the airbox
      Maxim Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        So you've never had it over 80MPH? With the stock FD 5K is about 60MPH. Come on bug.

You'd have to have a REALLY short tire as 5K is 75mph(GPS also) on my Venturer. But yea, the motor is definitely "happy" at 5K.......all day long on the 'slab'. Economy seems to start suffering the more above 4200rpm you go, but the grin gets better........
        Last edited by motoman; 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, on my SG with the 16" tire and the 850 FD 70 MPH is just under 5K. I had to ride from KC to here last summer going by the tach because my speedometer cable snapped.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm tellin' ya, on my SG with the 16" tire and the 850 FD 70 MPH is just under 5K. I had to ride from KC to here last summer going by the tach because my speedometer cable snapped.
            Interesting.............as my H is still stock diff.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Greg, your tach is optimistic.... rpm at 70 mph with a 16" tire and stock gearing is about 4400; you should be right about 4K even with the FD swap...
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

rpm

need more info Jeruel when you come back. just happens i was comparing rpms to my 6spd Honda and my SH was 4k at 60mph with a stock FD and carbs. im always lookin for a 6th gear on the Yammy for some dang reason.
                Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 04-10-2012, 11:23 PM.
                Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
                Kerker 4/1
                stock carbs and air box.
                78 headlite, handle bars,
                1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
                crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
                78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
                94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

yes, i think its on the fuel system again. thats what i think, i just have to confirm that it dont have a rev limiter just like my cbr 98 before...the carb was all stock but i just remove the stock airbox and just put individual air filter, i just replace the needle seat due to gas leaking problem,,maybe it was starved w/ gas just because i over do the adjustment of the floater due to excessive leaking of gas before ,,or maybe i have to change the neeedle jet 1st and start from there, any suggestion? my exhaust now is a Kerker 4-1..

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post
                    Ahahaha....you and I ride these bikes slower then the actual old men on this forum!
                    You are definitely an ageist, Joab! Just wait til you get there yourself, mate......although at this rate, I reckon I'll be coming to the USA to ensure you don't get much older
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                      You are definitely an ageist, Joab! Just wait til you get there yourself, mate......although at this rate, I reckon I'll be coming to the USA to ensure you don't get much older
                      I do seem to dig into the vintage folk quite often, dont I? Ah well, like you said, willing or not, I will be joining their ranks eventually.

And you should certainly come visit...you can help me chop up that old XS2 I have in the shop!
                      Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                      Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Originally posted by Joab View Post

And you should certainly come visit...you can help me chop up that old XS2 I have in the shop!
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

but i just remove the stock airbox and just put individual air filter

This was my first thought when you said this. What kind of air filters did you put on? If they are the cheap Emgo style where the filter slips onto a boot, then the boot blocks some of your carb jets. Others have said they didn't have problems, but mine would only run up to @ 6500 rpm when I tried them the first time. I can't find the picture that I took of the boot covering the jets, but here's the difference between those and a better set. Notice the throat openings where it goes against the carbs.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                            LOL...James and Marty, the old 650 is safe for now... no chop chop in the near future for it anyhow.
                            Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

When I had the opportunity to run my XS for the first time on the open road I was a little surprised to see that according to the tach it was running just about the same RPM at 60 MPH as my FZ1, which is just about 4000. It just seemed strange that yamaha would set up a 1100 cc cruiser to run at the same RPM as a "high energy" sport bike with a little over 100cc less displacement and a tendency to be "pipey". (the FZ1 that is)
                              Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Originally posted by Lonerider62 View Post
                                When I had the opportunity to run my XS for the first time on the open road I was a little surprised to see that according to the tach it was running just about the same RPM at 60 MPH as my FZ1, which is just about 4000. It just seemed strange that yamaha would set up a 1100 cc cruiser to run at the same RPM as a "high energy" sport bike with a little over 100cc less displacement and a tendency to be "pipey". (the FZ1 that is)
                                From reading the Bob Jones book, it seemed like Yamaha was getting into uncharted territory with the XS1100... I think perhaps they were still in a bit of "lets see what happens if we do this" phase when this bike was produced. I don't know that they really had sport and cruiser classes back then? Could be wrong though, it was before my time.
                                Joab

Ozark, Alabama

Comment

Working...
                                X