air box full of oil!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air box full of oil!

here's one for you, fellas. so i'm pretty new at the motorcycle thing and learning as i go along...about a week ago the rig started smoking like crazy from the exhaust, to the point that drivers behind me were changing lanes to avoid the smoke (lol)...then i get it back home and notice that it is bleeding oil all over itself...so my instinctive reaction was "better put more oil in!" and of course the leaking got worse after that.

last night i brought it over to a bike-savvy coworker of mine and he had us pull out the airbox...and we found it full of oil! his theory was that i overfilled it so much that it was climbing up the breather pipe from the oil res up into the airbox.

we ended up siphoning about 2/3gal of extra oil out to get to the right level! the leaking seems to have stopped but i've only put on about 10mi since then. not only that, but the oil smells of gas pretty bad...is that a carb float problem? i was advised to change the oil immediately and close the fuel valves whenever its not running...which i did. what kind of problems could cause gas to get into the oil?

just looking for some thoughts from you guys.
    Last edited by silver_ride; 04-04-2012, 05:58 PM.
    80 XS1100G

Carb float valves aren't closing properly.... time to rebuild the carbs....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yep, your oil level increased due to floats leaking fuel, oil got pushed out the breather into the air box, and burned.

Strongly advise against running the engine any more with that gas tainted oil in there. Drain the oil and remove the filter, fix the carbs, then refill the fluids.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

And/or you refilled the engine with oil. Bike must be on the center stand or standing level and the oil should be between the lines on the sight class.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X