Sumitomo Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sumitomo Brake Pads

Question: Ever heard of anyone using Sumitomo Brake Pads for the Front Brakes on a 78' XS1100 E??

PO or somebody had put in Sumitomo A8K A21 66 in both front brake calipers. Could be maybe Sumitomo ASK A21 GG since it is a bit hard to see. Looks to me to be Auto Brakes and Google search doesn't give me much info.

PO had Bleed Screws loose but brakes still really ON..... It is difficult to move the bike around the garage with the brakes stuck. Rotor is centered in the Caliper on the right side, but Left rotor is dragging/scraping on the outboard side of the left Caliper body. What I'm seeing makes no sense.

Nothing looks bent or misaligned. Both Rotors are OK and would be all ripped up if the bike was actually ridden this way. Bleed screw on right was already loose so I removed the Bolts holding on the Calipers. Even with the bolts off and no pressure on the line the brake pads it still has a major bite on the brake rotor.

I ordered XS1100E Master Cylinder rebuild Kit and Caliper rebuild Kits today so I plan to get to the bottom of the puzzle. Maybe the Sumitomo A21's worked for a while then after they wore down a bit a retainer may have jumped or bent. Just wondering if anyone has any experience or info about the Sumitomo pads.

Thanks, Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

I believe Sumitomo was OEM....
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The front end probably isn't aligned properly.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

[QUOTE=natemoen;365499]The front end probably isn't aligned properly.[/QUOTE

Yes, that might be it! If Sumitomo A21 was the OEM brake pad then that is not the issue. After further inspection I see the PO had not had the front axle off anytime recently. Rotors have never been off. Forks are not bent. If nothing is bent -and- the right caliper will not come off easily and the left rotor is scraping the caliper body; then misaligned forks is a top candidate.

This the is $450 "Save" bike I got in Louisville in January. I've rebuilt carbs and got the parts to r&r the petcocks arriving Friday. Bike seems to have had good dealer maintenance for a long time without any major PO hacking. Seems like just a few goofy things done in the last year or so as the bike was neglected and somebody tried to 'get her running'. So far, so good with the refurbishment. With the symptoms I've described, I think you are right about the whole front end alignment. The electrical tape in lieu of fork seal rubber covers might be an indication of what I need to fix next after R&R the Master Cylinders and Calipers.

Thanks, Jeff
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E
        78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
        '99 Triumph Sprint ST
        '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Possible stuck piston in the caliper as well
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone