Carb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
    Ah! Are you happy with your dynajet? Now you experienced that kit would you try something different next time?
    It gave me several MPG, and a better throttle response. For the later carbs, it's the only way to get new replacement slide needles anyway. If I had it to do all over again, I would still do it. I don't know of anything else to do, besides leave it the way it was.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Ok I'm seriously getting irritated with this carb business and my Clymer may be making it worse. I tried ordering a carb kit based off what was in the carb and ended up with a 78E kit, but the needle jet dont match the serial on my carbs. Whats on there now is 5GZ6 which is different than the K&L Kit needles from Georgefix. Those are Y265 and I cant tell if they are shaped different or if my eyes are playing with me.

The serial on my carb bodies read 3H3-00 which according to Clymer is for XS1100/SF.
      1980 XS1100G
      -4:2 exhaust
      -Pods
      -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

The E-tubes on carb 1 & 4 have less holes in them them carbs 2 & 3. Is this normal for 78-79' xs1100SF carbs?
        1980 XS1100G
        -Pods

Comment

Ok I'm seriously getting irritated with this carb business
          Use the 5GZ6 needles, c-clip in center slot with the least holed emultion tubes in carbs 2&3, that is the way they came from the factory. The further you get from factory tested setup, the more difficult it will be to get them right, BTDT.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
            Use the 5GZ6 needles, c-clip in center slot with the least holed emultion tubes in carbs 2&3, that is the way they came from the factory. The further you get from factory tested setup, the more difficult it will be to get them right, BTDT.
            That's what I was hoping to hear. What's the point of having different E-tubes? I know they put larger jets in the center cylinders to keep them cooler but wouldn't less holes in the the E-tube just make the engine less responsive?
            1980 XS1100G
            -Pods

Comment

The holes in the emultion tubes are air bleed holes. Less holes= richer mixture=lower cylinder temp. on the two center cylinders.

Edit: The 79SF (3H3) used the different emultion tubes but the same main jets across the board. Later models used all identical emultion tubes but staggered main jet sizes.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 04-10-2012, 08:16 PM.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I see well that makes sense thanks.
                1980 XS1100G
                -Pods

Comment

That's what I was hoping to hear. What's the point of having different E-tubes? I know they put larger jets in the center cylinders to keep them cooler but wouldn't less holes in the the E-tube just make the engine less responsive?
                  Early carbs were done that way........................later model carbs were two steps difference in the mains. That was for the Standard. The late model Specials were the same size mains across.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

You never know

what your going to find when you take apart the carbs. I've been cleaning up a couple banks of 78/79 carbs. One was set up for an SF and have the 266/301 emulsion tubes with 42.5 pilots. No issue with them but the other came off an E. It only has the 266's but the mains were all 137.5 accross the four with again 42.5 pilots. The air jets were 210's. This has me stumped as what I expected was 266/301 tubes,137.5 mains, 45 pilots and 185 air jets. Not sure what the PO was trying to accomplish with his set up. Obviously it ran like crap. I know he had just put on a 4-1 exhaust with stock air box, but he never got it to run well. He thought it was a timing issue and played around with that, started the bike and bent all the valves. He ordered and recieved the required parts but gave up on it and bought a new bike instead. Parted out the E and thats how I got the spare motor/ carbs and air box.
                    mack
                    79 XS 1100 SF Special
                    HERMES
                    original owner
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                    SPICA
                    http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                    IOTA
                    https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                    https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                    Frankford, Ont, Canada
                    613-398-6186

Comment

Originally posted by mack View Post
                      ...but the other came off an E. It only has the 266's but the mains were all 137.5 accross the four with again 42.5 pilots. The air jets were 210's. This has me stumped as what I expected was 266/301 tubes,137.5 mains, 45 pilots and 185 air jets..
                      Some of the early '78s came with the 45 pilots and 210 air jets, so that's probably a OEM setup....
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                      X