Carb Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Help

I finally got around to opening up my carbs which are 78-79's. Besides needing a real good cleaning something don't seem right. The mains are all 135 and the right carb has a 180 pilot while the rest are capped off with brass screws. What angle could the PO been going for here? Many of you already know I dont know what I'm doing myself which is why I keep bother you guys but this seems really wrong.

Any ideas? I'll get a pic up soon.
    1980 XS1100G
    -4:2 exhaust
    -Pods
    -Who knows what the future holds..

Better do some detailed pics.... you might have a 'mixed' rack that the PO tried to compensate for. You're right, that ain't right...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm not sure what pic's to take exactly.
      1980 XS1100G
      -Pods

Comment

Looks like someone lost the screw and just put a jet in there instead. Is there a regular pilot jet under that one?
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Exactly Nate, looks like someone lost the screw for that and put a pilot air jet in there instead! You are correct, it ain't right!! Get yourself the correct screw to put in there.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

That's good news actually! What would I call that screw? I'm not sure how to search for it and nothing is popping out in the linked stores.

Ya know what I might just stop at Ace and grab a brass screw that measures out.
            Last edited by New2Me; 04-02-2012, 07:56 PM.
            1980 XS1100G
            -Pods

Comment

Worst case, solder the hole in that jet closed. It's just a plug....
              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '80SG restified, red SOLD
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I'm confused as usual. I was shopping for rebuild kits and see there are different kits for 78' & 79' so I checked this http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73 to see where I should go with the jets and got stumped.

My carbs are 78-79' with 135 mains 45 pilots and a bag with (4) 120 mains that came with the bike.
                1980 XS1100G
                -Pods

Comment

Stock for the early carbs was 137.5, so your 135 would be too lean with those carbs. Start with the 137.5 and work from there.

Stock for the later carbs was 110-120's.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Stock for the early carbs was 137.5, so your 135 would be too lean with those carbs. Start with the 137.5 and work from there.

Stock for the later carbs was 110-120's.
                    That's where I got confused because why would the PO have 120's in there then swap them out for 135's? Even more conserning is why did someone go from the 137.5 to 120.

The question I should have asked last night was is there a serial number to indicate which year my carb body is? I think someone posted 2H? for a UK carb the other day, maybe there is a list somewhere.

I tried to pull the needle jet last night because that seems to be a difference by the year but my cir-clip pliers were not long enough. It seems like between 78-79 they have 1 mm difference and then 80-81 has the screw type.
                    1980 XS1100G
                    -Pods

Comment

What do you mean "screw type"?

2h9 was the UK type 2h7 is the early us type. It is sort of printed on the body, not very well though and may not be there anymore. By your pic it it looks like you have the early us type with the later plastic floats. With those floats you need to uses the later float height of 23 mm rather than the normal 25.7mm.

And if you don't know for sure that you have uk carbs (i doubt you do) then go with the 137.5 as your base jet number.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        What do you mean "screw type"?

2h9 was the UK type 2h7 is the early us type. It is sort of printed on the body, not very well though and may not be there anymore. By your pic it it looks like you have the early us type with the later plastic floats. With those floats you need to uses the later float height of 23 mm rather than the normal 25.7mm.

And if you don't know for sure that you have uk carbs (i doubt you do) then go with the 137.5 as your base jet number.
                        Don't the 80' carbs use a threaded needle and the 78'-79' use an adjustable clip? I am going to tear down the carb completely today and document everything inside that thing. Probably what I should have done to start with.
                        1980 XS1100G
                        -Pods

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
                          Don't the 80' carbs use a threaded needle and the 78'-79' use an adjustable clip? I am going to tear down the carb completely today and document everything inside that thing. Probably what I should have done to start with.
                          Nope. The needle in the later models simply lack the extra notches for adjustment. Switching to a Dynajet kit gives you back those notches.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold
                          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                          -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                            Nope. The needle in the later models simply lack the extra notches for adjustment. Switching to a Dynajet kit gives you back those notches.
                            Ah! Are you happy with your dynajet? Now you experienced that kit would you try something different next time?
                            1980 XS1100G
                            -Pods

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
                              That's where I got confused because why would the PO have 120's in there then swap them out for 135's? Even more conserning is why did someone go from the 137.5 to 120.
                              Simple.........cause they or a shop was clueless..............us oldies see that and worse here.......nutin' unusual.......
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X