Acceleration Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceleration Loss

Alright everybody i have had a problem with my bike since i have owned it but have been dealing with other problems so i have always ignored it. But it is time to look into it now. Here it is, when I am cruising at freeway speeds and gun it to pass someone or just fooling around my RPM's go up but i do not feel any acceleration until i let off the throttle a little bit. Once I do let off the throttle a little bit I feel some acceleration but not as much as i think should be there. If i roll on the throttle slowly it works better. It has done it in 4th and 5th gear with the same results. I feel it more when I'm going up hill. I have replaced the middle and final drive oil and I think it got better but true fully i don't know if I just expected it to get better or it actually got better. either way it still does it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle
    78 XS1100E - Rebuilt And Sold I SHOULD OF KEPT IT!!!

Sounds like your scoot has a fueling, or lack of issue.......or over abundance of the same. Lack of info on bike, what has or has not been done,......anybodies guess at this point.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Sounds like your scoot has a fueling, or lack of issue.......or over abundance of the same. Lack of info on bike, what has or has not been done,......anybodies guess at this point.
      Could be fuel, could be vacuum advance-centrifugal advance problems.

The first thing I would do, the easiest, would be to check for proper vacuum advance operation and also centrifugal advance operation. Next, check proper installation and pinholes in the slide diaphragms.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

but since the rpms are going up isn't it getting fuel? Isnt fuel required to get the higher rpms when i gun it.

Also when it does it i feel somewhat of a vibration coming what feels like the middle or final drive. Maybe the engine its self but i feel it on my feet, the lower part of the bike, rather than the whole bike.

My bike doesnt have any mods that I know of other than air pods and the first/second gear fix.
        Last edited by mmaddix; 03-31-2012, 03:01 PM.
        USMC 2005 - Present

79 XS1100F -Mileage unknown - Clubman bars, aftermarket headlight and speedometer, 4 into 1 straight through exhaust, TopCat's fuse box, 1980G rear fender - Daily driver - My first Motorcycle

Comment

It actually kinda sounds like there is a pickup coil wire trying to go bad.

Pull off the left engine cover and start the engine and let it idle. Tug around on the pickup wires and see if it dies or runs differently.

See the pickup coil wire repair in the repairs section.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok I am a little confused so I am going to ask specific. Do you see the tachometer raise like 1000 RPMS or do you here the engine sound like it is picking up and its slow week accelleration. If you gun it and the RPM's go up quick and then it starts to move faster slowly then it appears to be possible slippage of the clutch. There are other things but that is the most prone to slip under load.

Now if you here the engine try to pick up and there is no great movement of the RPM's then it could be either a carb problem or issues with the pickups.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

I agree with Ron, the problem shows up in 4th and 5th gears, it's more likely to show up there when the clutch is slipping...there's a higher load on it in those gears, and will let go if you give it too much throttle beyond what the clutch can hold!

Depending on the age of the bike, the springs, etc., it may respond to just the basic clutch adjustment at the engine, but if after doing that, and it still slips, then you probably need to put in some Barnett Springs. Also, if you're using full synth oil, that has also been known to contribute to slippage when the springs are weak!

T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Possibly too lean? Floats set for economy? Aftermarket exhaust and/or mods to the air filters without enough jetting compensation?
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Clutch slippage. CZ

Comment

well I dont have a tach so I just assumed the rpm's were rising because I can hear the engine speed up.

Clutch slipping might be it. I do use full synthetic oil. I will try to adjust the clutch as per the manual and see what happens.

I actually have the bike taken apart upside down on my porch doing the First/Second gear fix because I didn't do it perfectly the first time(second gear only worked for about 6 months) so when i get it back together this week I will let you guys know what happens.

Oh i also forgot to mention I am running straight pipes. and still working on some carb problems.

Thanks for the input.
                    USMC 2005 - Present

Comment

Now that I've gone back and reread through this thread I have to concur with the others about a clutch slippage problem.

As long as you have it down anyway go ahead and order some Barnett Springs and put them in and when you put oil back in get some motocycle specific oil like Castrol 4T 20w50 that is designed to work with the wet clutch. The synthetic works for some with more gentile riding habits but people who tax the clutch notice slippage with it.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

If you can hear the engine revs going up, and the bike is not moving any faster, then you have a clutch slippage issue. The synthetic oil may well be your problem. Some folks run it without issues, but it is not uncommon that it causes clutch slippage like your experiencing.

Most folks use standard dyno oil (non-synthetic). You do want one without friction modifiers. Otherwise, your favorite brand you like for your cage of a 20W50 weight will work perfectly.

You can get a set of clutch springs for about $15 or so. Since you already have it all broken down, I would recommend replacing them also.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          If you can hear the engine revs going up, and the bike is not moving any faster, then you have a clutch slippage issue. The synthetic oil may well be your problem. Some folks run it without issues, but it is not uncommon that it causes clutch slippage like your experiencing.

Most folks use standard dyno oil (non-synthetic). You do want one without friction modifiers. Otherwise, your favorite brand you like for your cage of a 20W50 weight will work perfectly.

You can get a set of clutch springs for about $15 or so. Since you already have it all broken down, I would recommend replacing them also.
                          Which is pretty much in all automotive oils today.....
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            Which is pretty much in all automotive oils today.....
                            +1. If you're trying to save a few bucks and not buy the generally expensive 'motorcycle' oil, you definitely have to check the automotive oils. Locally, I found the AutoZone 'house brand' 20-50 doesn't have the modifiers and seems to work well... That's a national chain, so they should have it everywhere.
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                              I agree with Ron, the problem shows up in 4th and 5th gears, it's more likely to show up there when the clutch is slipping...there's a higher load on it in those gears, and will let go if you give it too much throttle beyond what the clutch can hold!

Depending on the age of the bike, the springs, etc., it may respond to just the basic clutch adjustment at the engine, but if after doing that, and it still slips, then you probably need to put in some Barnett Springs. Also, if you're using full synth oil, that has also been known to contribute to slippage when the springs are weak!

T.C.
                              I agree. If RPMs rise quickly but the bike does not keep up with that change it is likely the clutch adjustment or cluch plate condition.
                              Rob
                              KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                              1978 XS500E
                              1979 XS1100F Restored
                              1980 XS1100 SG
                              1981 Suzuki GS1100
                              1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                              1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

Working...
                              X