Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
    I've never heard of this before ?
    Was there ever a determination as to why the threads were different, what were they made for ? What carbs were they supposed to fit ?
    The package was marked as "VM main jets" I think. Their website did not indicate anything specific for BS34 carbs, nor did it say VM. This is what the return looked like:

Returned Items:
    Item Name Quantity Total Price Status
    Mikuni Round Main Jet 4-Pack 1 $12.95 Returned

Their tech assistance was no help in that they said you have to "know your own carbs."
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

They are selling them to you ? They should know what in the sam h they are for, yes or no ?
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
      80 XS 1100 SG
      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Like I said, be careful about what you buy, or you will pay shipping both ways. Their tech department was no help. I would go with another supplier. YMMV.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

The Mikuni jets for the XS11's are the LARGE ROUND MAIN JETS:

(KN100-604) 4-Pack $12.95

The other types, small round or just Round are not the correct ones, as was said, VM type for the Mikuni flatside type carbs.

The pilot jets are also specific for the BS series vs. the VM series.

Mikuni (KBS30/96) pilot jets. The metering opening is at the END of the jet.
          The VM type has the metering opening near the head/threads/wrong type.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thread revival!!! Haven’t been on here in a long time because I sadly sold my XS11, but I just got my hands into another (buddy bought it and came to me to get it tuned up right) and it’s a 78, (mine was an 80) and I jumped right into the carbs, thinking it had stock jets (with pods and spaghetti pipes, no baffles) it was exhibiting lean symptoms (pipes are dark blue and hesitated badly upon giving it throttle) but when I opened the carbs up I found 145 mains and 45 pilots, should be ideal jetting for this setup. But what’s stranger, to me, is the caps over the pilots, so they have to feed thru the main channel, I don’t recall my 80 having plugs over the pilot pickup, and nothing else I’ve taken apart to date has such a setup. Theoretically opening that up should allow fuel to flow more freely, correct? Would that solve this leaning issue? Or should I reinstall the plugs over the pilots and fiddle with the air screw and needle positions instead? Thanks for the help!
            BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
            80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

The 78-79 use different carbs than the 80-81. There should be a screw covering the pilot jet tower. Those jet sizes seem fine, probably just need a good cleaning. BTW be careful not to break the tips off the idle mixture screws by overtightening. May want to check them to see if the tip(s) is broken off and stuck in the carb body, this for sure will cause a low RPM lean issue.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

A general rule, if there is a drilled passage between the main and pilot jet towers, you will need a plug covering the pilot jet tower. No passage, no plug required.

2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                X