No announcement yet.

update on my project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

George, just get some old gas and varnish up one hole in those pilot jets till they match

If timing is same, Backfiring says lean to me, try to figure out why its lean.

My $.02 and thats what its worth.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Too lean eh? I set the pilots out 3 turns. I know I have to sync but I'd like to get it idling better first.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
        Too lean eh? I set the pilots out 3 turns. I know I have to sync but I'd like to get it idling better first.
        But the poor idling can (and often is)cause by not having them synced. Do a sync then readjust things and then resync again.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My poor scarlet has been patiently waiting for months.
          So, a few weeks ago, I did my shims in my G and in order to help that process along, I pulled all 8 shims out of my SG.
          Anyhow, just this Saturday, I got around to put my SG back together with the right shims.
          Since it had been sitting so long, I knew I had to pull the carbs and give them a once over again. Planned for Sunday.
          Sure enough, #3 carb had the jellies in it.
          I didn't use the right size flat head and I stripped the #4 pilot jet.
          Luckily, I found a small enough eazyout and it came out, but it was toast.
          So I pulled out my box of carb parts and saw those 4 shiny new pilot jets that came with those kits. I figured, what the heck, if I'm running a little lean anyway, then an extra hole in the pilot jet might help that out and I'm running a K&N filter so go for it.
          Got them put back together and back on the bike and put about a gallon of gas in the tank.
          Full choke and it started to come to life.
          After a min or 2, I came off the choke and she idled somewhat okay.
          I sprayed the pipes and #3 & 4 didn't sizzle like #1 & 2. ---- Fuel delivery issue on that side.
          Checked the bowl drains and #4 was minimal and #3 was almost dry.
          Had to put it on hold, football game started. (got to have priorities!)
          So, I've got to figure out if it's the petcock, the fuel T or both float valves. (I ditched the octy, so that's not it.)

The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

Hey there George,

Welcome back, was beginning to wonder where you were!?

I doubt it's the petcocks, most likely the float valves, but also could be inline filters(remember the jelly) as well as inlet fuel "T"s, screen on bottom of float needle seat. You can test the petcocks just by pulling hose and turning ON, if they flow quickly/plentyful....there you go!

Did you check those pilot jets for the location of their metering constriction? At the tip/pointy end is good, at the threads is bad.

BTW, do I still have your OEM headlight lens??? Can't remember if you came by to get it swapped back out again??

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey TC. Been busy at work trying to get our Navy's newest submarine into the water.
              I still have your headlight, maybe sometime in the next few weeks I can swing by and swap them out.

I didn't think to check the petcocks before putting the tank on the bike and putting fuel in it. Maybe this weekend/Friday, I'll pull the lines and see if they flow then, if those are okay, off with the carbs again.
              I'm planning on buying some tires this weekend for her and once they get in, maybe I can come by and we can put them on at your place.

As for the pilot jets, they did have the metering hole at the tip, so they should work, just one extra hole. (you can see them here in the pic)

The Green Monster
              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
              Cold weather ride

Comment

As far as I know those are incorrect for our carbs. The pilots should not have that many holes. There should be two and then one, for a total of 6 holes and not 8 in the pilots. I may be wrong and have been many times before but I am certain you have the wrong jets.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Gotta watch out, the spray pattern on these jets will differ where they won't spray the fuel correctly. The 6 hole type will have the correct spray angle for our type of carbs.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    As far as I know those are incorrect for our carbs. The pilots should not have that many holes. There should be two and then one, for a total of 6 holes and not 8 in the pilots. I may be wrong and have been many times before but I am certain you have the wrong jets.
                    I know they're not the exact correct ones, but I didn't really have a choice at the time. The old one was stripped out and I needed to put something in the hole.

Phil: I'm just gonna try them out and see if they'll work. They were stamped 110 on the end, but comparing them to the old one, it's obvious they are not exactly the same.

I'll let everyone here know as soon as I can get the bike on the road if they seem to work or not.

The Green Monster
                    Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                    Got her in '11
                    Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                    Cold weather ride

Comment

I wonder, if the side holes are the same size, one to the other, would it work to plug two of the holes on the new jets, and get a closer to original mixture out with the remaining six holes? JAT CZ

Comment

Got them put back together and back on the bike and put about a gallon of gas in the tank.
                        Full choke and it started to come to life.
                        After a min or 2, I came off the choke and she idled somewhat okay.
                        I sprayed the pipes and #3 & 4 didn't sizzle like #1 & 2. ---- Fuel delivery issue on that side.
                        Checked the bowl drains and #4 was minimal and #3 was almost dry.
                        Had to put it on hold, football game started. (got to have priorities!)
                        So, I've got to figure out if it's the petcock, the fuel T or both float valves. (I ditched the octy, so that's not it.)
                        Okay, so this morning I found that she has been leaking a little gas. I looks like it's coming from #3 carb, so this afternoon I got around to pulling the tank and the carbs off.
                        My left petcock barely leaks by on the prime port. (just a drop every few mins.)
                        Sure enough, #3 carb was flooded and it was leaking out thru the intake. After I got the carbs off, #3 intake boot was full of gas all the way up to the intake valve! (glad that particular valve was shut) No extra level in the oil, so no leakby past the intake valve.

So, My 2 new tires came in today, Maybe I can get TC to help me put them on.

This weekend it looks like the carbs are coming apart again to check the floats and valves and I might as well check the actual fuel heights too. While I'm at it, the petcocks are coming apart again to check them out too.

Oh, and I've got to wait for Nightengale to get his new clutch cable in, so I can get mine back. (it sure is nice to have friends local that can offer up parts when you're stranded on the side of the road. )

The Green Monster
                        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                        Got her in '11
                        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                        Cold weather ride

Comment

Picture!!!

Here's a pic of my Project: "Scarlet"

The red lettering on the tank and side covers is actually red sticky vinyl that the PO put over the letters and trimmed to fit. I think it looks pretty good and it matches the painted calipers and the frame cover near the neck.
                          Last edited by GLoweVA; 11-02-2012, 07:32 AM.

The Green Monster
                          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                          Got her in '11
                          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                          Cold weather ride

Comment

Looks nice!! I like the red also.

As to the VM style jets, hopefully you will have better luck with them. A while ago a member out of Indianapolis came on with issues trying to get an 80 Special running. He was ready to pitch the bike he was so tired of screwing with it, and SWMBO was ready to divorce him for spending so much time in the garage with it. I stopped by and took a look at his bike and carbs, sure enough he had the VM jets like you do. swapped out the jets and she purred like a kitten.

Good luck getting her going!!
                            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I don't think that they are VM style jets.

On mine, the metering orfice is at the tip end, like the BS ones in the pic.
                              They just have an extra air bleed hole. (8 instead of 6)

The Green Monster
                              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
                              Got her in '11
                              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
                              Cold weather ride

Comment

I don't think that they are VM style jets.
                                On mine, the metering orfice is at the tip end, like the BS ones in the pic.
                                They just have an extra air bleed hole. (8 instead of 6)
                                Just my 2 cents but then for sure I would not use them myself. You do what you will but I would not go to some jetting that is neither for our bikes or known (to us) bikes. They may fit the chainsaw TC has been talking about for all you know. they may also work great for all I know. Thing is for ten bucks give or take you get the right jets and we all breath easier knowing we are not answering questions that you knew the answer to going in.
                                2-79 XS1100 SF
                                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                                X