Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not to bad

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
    The tank I had that done to last year they tanked, lined and fixed a few holes that were in it for $80.
    that doesnt sound too bad. i think that is the way to go, thanks nate
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

Comment

I will jump in on this as I will be painting a tank as well. I will probably get mine dipped if I can. Seems no one around here will do it. Also, does anyone have a good list of filler products and paint products for tanks? I know there is a thread but I can't seem to find it.
      1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
      1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
      1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Has anyone tried using paintless dent repair on a tank as opposed to filling in the dents?
        80 XS11 SG
        79 XS750 SF
        74 KZ400
        78 KZ650
        78 KZ750

Comment

radiator shop

well, my friendly radiator shop is doing my Venturer tank, dip and Red Kote for $140...little steep but I didn't feel like messing with it...

I tried reverse electrolysis, but my battery charger is too small and that would take forever...so I had to shell out some dough

As to paintless dent removal, if you're gonna paint tank anyway...little Bondo won't take too long...anytime you're doing metal finishing, you should make your dents as small as posible, and then bondo the rest smooth
          Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

I got a can of bumper sticker remover at the paint shop and put it on a xj1100 with factory paint. It took every bit of it off.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
              Stripping to bare metal is best but not neccesary if: The existing paint is sound (no flaking delaminating or peeling) and if there are not multiple layers of paint. Here is how its typically done when NOT taking everything down to metal. Power sand down to bare metal around your dent only and about 3 inches beyond. Wet sand the rest of the tank/existing paint with 400 grit aggressively. Now focus on the dent only. Wipe down the dent/bare metal spot with laquer thinner and fill the dent. Sand to correct contour and keep reapplying a "skim" of filler to any low areas. Dont glop it in thick to fill with one app. Now with a clean disposable paper towel wipe the entire tank down with a Grease and wax remover. Spray the entire tank now with a High Build primer. You can buy it in aerosol- U Pol an expensive brand and Rustoleum and Krylon for inexpensive. Let it dry for a good hour. You will see imperfections in your dent repair- its normal. Keep at the dent area. Sand the dent to achieve a seemless blend with the surrounding areas. When the dent is approaching perfection you should be using about a 150-180 grit paper with a gentle hand. Re Apply the primer and sand until you are satisfied. Wet sand the primer with 400 as well- otherwise it just clogs your paper. When the dent repair is acceptable and complete -spray it one final time with primer. Let it cure and wet sand the entire tank with 600 grit. Try not to sand thru the edges. After a good 600 grit wetsand its ready for painting. Remember to always wipe down the surface with wax and grease remover before applying anything- bondoe primer ect. Thats how I have done 3 tanks and they look great. I used rustoleum brand wax and grease remover and their automotive high build primer. Bought it from Walmart. Had a body man lay down some single stage enamel and it looks near perfect.

Here are my 1100 items. I filled some dents in the tank and did all the prep work myself. I had a professional spray the base coat clear coat.

Comment

I know a can of aircraft remover works instantly. That's what I always grab if im painting something. I dont know if it will affect the plastics though. Sandpaper works good on them if the paint isnt chipped/cracking. Harbor Freight has some decent HVLP guns to spray with that I used on my Model T. Comes out great for a $99 set of guns. Or $10 single gun.
                1980 XS1100G
                -4:2 exhaust
                -Pods
                -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Originally posted by New2Me View Post
                  I know a can of aircraft remover works instantly. That's what I always grab if im painting something. I dont know if it will affect the plastics though. Sandpaper works good on them if the paint isnt chipped/cracking. Harbor Freight has some decent HVLP guns to spray with that I used on my Model T. Comes out great for a $99 set of guns. Or $10 single gun.
                  i tried the aircraft remover and didnt have much luck, i guess it was because of it having so many layers, because some places it worked really good, but others it was like i didnt have enough on it, and it was on thick.
                  xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I have had results like that before, and had to ruff up the paint in those spots and try again. Last summer I used a can of paint stripper (not aircraft) from the rattle can isle of Menards and that worked very well on my tractor. Not sure the brand though as it was a year ago.

If you got a local company that soda blasts, or have a use for a personal system that could be another good way to clean them parts. I cant buy one because I'd have a bunch of clean parts laying around and nothin ever getting finished.
                    1980 XS1100G
                    -4:2 exhaust
                    -Pods
                    -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Originally posted by mharrington View Post
                      Here are my 1100 items. I filled some dents in the tank and did all the prep work myself. I had a professional spray the base coat clear coat.

looks really good
                      xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Working...
                      X