No announcement yet.

Some one please rescue me cant start my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to clean the whole system but I'm scared of messing with them. Can anyone recommend a thread on how to take apart and clean the caliper and the mc

Comment

They are both pretty straight forward and simple to do. Just lay out your parts in the order you remove them so you know what order to re install them.

Clean EVERYTHING real well. In the caliper take the rubber square cut seal out of its groove and pat particular attention to the gunk that has built up behind it inside the groove. That is where your biggest problem will lie. Some have reused the seal but every time I have it's leaked. Your choice there.

In the MC pay particular attention to the 2 holes in the bottom of the reservoir. The feed hole (the larger one) and the spooge hole (the tiny easy to clog one). Be sure they are both clear. Also, on the inner end of the plunger are some holes that are covered on the end with a thin disc of metal. That disc acts as a one way valve to feed the front cup seal. They need to be very clean also. I have reused the cups in there with some success but recommend a kit there also.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

What do you use to clean it

Comment

Air, brake cleaner, soap and water........nothing petroleum based though.

You can get aerosol brake cleaner at the parts store. Don't get it in your eyes 'cause it hurts like hell.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The one thing you may want to do before tearing the parts off the bike is to remove the rear pads, then 'pump' the caliper piston out with the pedal. These can be tough to get out sometimes, all the rest will come apart fairly easily...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
              Can't do a stopped (bike is too heavy for that) but I can lock up the brakes on clean dry pavement.
              When the bike (and myself!) was much younger (around 1990 or so), I did a stoppie on my 79 standard coming down off the interstate. Good asphalt and good tires and the front brake did have enough to pull the back wheel about 6" off the ground. Probably more, but I let off the brakes! FYI: no one else was on the road and I was intentionally testing the brake system to see what she could do. It was better than I thought!

Of course, it was nothing like my '99 YZ250! That bike would have the back wheel up and over with only a LIGHT squeeze with a single finger... I almost when over the bars the very first time I rode that thing! And yes, I DO know it is apples/oranges (or maybe apples/watermelon!).
              -- Clint
              1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

If you clean with soap and water (it really does the best job) don't clean the lines with it and make sure everything is very dry before reassembly!
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  The one thing you may want to do before tearing the parts off the bike is to remove the rear pads, then 'pump' the caliper piston out with the pedal. These can be tough to get out sometimes, all the rest will come apart fairly easily...
                  +1 Steve. I meant to mention that and forgot. Thanks.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    If you clean with soap and water (it really does the best job) don't clean the lines with it and make sure everything is very dry before reassembly!
                    You could maybe do the lines with soap and water, but you would have to get them completely dry when done. Soap and water isn't best for the lines though because of the difficulty of getting them dry afterwards.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                      You could maybe do the lines with soap and water, but you would have to get them completely dry when done. Soap and water isn't best for the lines though because of the difficulty of getting them dry afterwards.
                      New teflon lined lines I would be comfortable cleaning with soap and water but not these pos brittle fabric lines.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                      X