No announcement yet.

Some one please rescue me cant start my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WOHOOO!!! Glad to know another one is back on the streets!! Ride over to the auto parts store and get that feeler gage!
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
      ...Ride over to the auto parts store and get that feeler gage!
      Better yet, ride over the office supply store and get a printer cartridge so you can print out the manual...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I got a quick ride in I'm gonna get the feeler gauge and also print outthe manual. My rear brake is seized shut so I'm gonna have to fix that next. Thanks again to all those who helped I wanted to go out today so bad and I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for everyones help

Comment

Happy to help you out. Being a part time tree hugger, don't run out and print the entire manual just yet. Do download it to your computer for future use. Print out the pages you need when you need them. Somewhere on my list of garage improvements is adding a remote monitor with remote keyboard and mouse to the garage, a 42" LCD should do it. Yeah, WAY down on the list though!

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

wouldnt a laptop for ur garage cheaper? then atleast its mobile lol
            1978 XS1100 Macho Maroon!
            http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...s/DSC00361.jpg

Comment

Your obviously young enough to see the laptop screen from ten feet away without switching glasses and squinting hard.

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                Happy to help you out. Being a part time tree hugger, don't run out and print the entire manual just yet. Do download it to your computer for future use. Print out the pages you need when you need them. Somewhere on my list of garage improvements is adding a remote monitor with remote keyboard and mouse to the garage, a 42" LCD should do it. Yeah, WAY down on the list though!
                Better yet, get a tablet, such as an android tablet and put the pdf on it, then you can have the manual out there on it. Granted you need to have your hands clean, but you should be doing that with a paper copy anyways. What else is cool is I can zoom in on any illustrations if I need to (yes I know their not that clear anyways). I have pretty much all the manuals that I have/need on my tablet so far.
                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                Vetter Windjammer IV
                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                OEM Luggage Rack
                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                Spade Fuse Box
                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                750 FD Mod
                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

My back break is real tight. When I took my bike for a ride the disk got real hot any ideas as to where to start to fix this?

Comment

Open the bleeder screw and see if it frees up. If it does it'll more than likely be the spooge hole in the rear master cylinder, if it doesn't it'll be in the caliper and you'll need to disassemble that and clean it out.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Ok when I loosen the bleeder should I let a little fluid out. I turned it a little at the gas station wating for the rotor to cool down a little but I was afraid to let the fluid come out.

Comment

If some brake fluid comes out it is not a problem, just wipe it up before it eats away at the paint. With the bleeder open, see if the rear brake releases. If it does, you will probably have to clean out the master cylinder. If it does not, you will probably need to clean out the caliper. There is a remote chance that it is just the brake pedal mechanism sticking/misadjusted. Report back.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I loosened the break petal adjuster because I thought maybe it was too tight but it dident help I just looked at a thread about cleaning the sponge hole so i know where to look if I need that.

Comment

If it's been sitting it'll probably be the caliper corroded up.
                            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Personally, I would take an evening and pull the entire rear brake system off, caliper and MC. Tear them both down and clean them out really well. Stopping one of these bohemoths is not easy with all the brakes working right.

You can clean the spooge hole, and maybe get it working...for a while. Or clean the rear caliper and maybe get it working.... for a while. But their part of one hydraulic system, and share the same fluid and dirt and goo that has one of them sticking in position. Only cleaning one of them is a waste of good energy, the crud will just be back when you use the system again.

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

You know, I get that these brake systems are old and you have to squeeze the lever hard. But I've never had a hard time stopping my bike. Can't do a stopped (bike is too heavy for that) but I can lock up the brakes on clean dry pavement. Are everybody else's brakes that much worse than mine? Yeah newer bikes have better, but these still work fine.
                                Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                                Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                                Vetter Windjammer IV
                                Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                                OEM Luggage Rack
                                Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                                Spade Fuse Box
                                Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                                750 FD Mod
                                TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                                XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                                XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                                X