No announcement yet.

Some one please rescue me cant start my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you don't have a manual, get one; otherwise you'll just be thrashing around in the dark...

Pick up a cheap meter too and read these:
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35338
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35337
    http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35339
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah I need one. I just thought it had to be something simple because the bike was running good until the wires broke on the pick up coil and I dident have enough wire to fix it. The only thing I can think of is that thing that spins in the center the reluctor I think it's called one time I remember it being loose or comming out when I was messing with the coils and I thought it was strange because it was never loose before. I want to check it but I don't know where to start messing with it

Comment

If I look at it now the reluctor is not center in the hole it spins wobbly

Comment

Originally posted by DRedel View Post
          If I look at it now the reluctor is not center in the hole it spins wobbly
          Yup. There is a pin sticking out from the end of the crankshaft that fits into a slot on the end of the reluctor shaft. Feel for the sweet spot and it'll drop in and fit nicely. You'll know when it get's there.

I used to have some pics of that but I can't find them now
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

How do I get the mounting plate off I looseded the screws that had tabs to hold the plate on do I have to pull the Vaccume peice off as well

Comment

I took the whole peice off but the reluctor won't budge how to I take it off and re seat it

Comment

You shouldn't have to take it off. Just run the bolt that holds the timing plate on through the reluctor shaft and start it into the end of the crankshaft, then just push and turn the reluctor until it lines up and it should drop right into where it belongs. You'll have to take that bolt back out to get the plate on so you'll have to be careful that the reluctor shaft doesn't fall out of place again.

Clear as mud?
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I can see that it's seated crooked I just don't know how to losen it to re seat it on the pin

Comment

Originally posted by DRedel View Post
                    I took the whole peice off but the reluctor won't budge how to I take it off and re seat it
                    It must have jammed in there crooked. You'll just have to knock it loose somehow.............carefully.

You did remove the timing plate right?
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Got it back in much better now. Two things any tricks for getting the .07mm gap on the pick up coils and should I switch the coils back before I try to start it. I reversed them because I thought the timing was 180 out

Comment

Yes, switch the coil connections back to where they belong.

As for the gap just be sure the reluctor isn't hitting the pickups and the gaps are fairly even for now and get a feeler guage at Autozone or somewhere and set them correctly ASAP.

It should start like that.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

The suspense is killing me. Will he get this damn thing started? Will a team of gurus break out their xs11's and zoom to the rescue in chicago? Will he get a feeler guage?

This site is the best.
                          Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                          mods to come

Comment

The screw for the ground to the pick up coilsis not turning in or out any ideas or can I put the ground somewhere else

Comment

It's killing me and I'm not from Chicago I'm from western mass once I get this thing dialed in I'll put all my info and a pic of the bike

Comment

Running thank you to all who helped I'm going for a ride

Comment

Working...
                                X