Some one please rescue me cant start my baby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some one please rescue me cant start my baby

Hello all I just joined as a member. I have a 81 midnight special that I have been trying to get into fighting shape. After about a year of beg borrowing and stealing to get the bike started after years of sitting last fall I got her to run. I rode it for a few best weeks of my life. Then she died. The culprit was broken wires to the pick up coil. Fixed them and rode for a few more days and they broke again right at the coil so I had no wire to work with. She went away for the winter. Started a month ago and bought used pick up coils off eBay for 80 bucks. Ouch. Put them on and she won't fire. I the carbs keep back fireing out of the pod filters. I took of the timing plate to mess with the pick up so many times I'm afraid I might have spun the engine counter clockwise to get the bolt out. I'm also afraid that messing with it so many times the peice that the plate sits on which spins might have been loosened or screwed up some how. I have spark but it's just not hitting at the right time. Any suggestions help. Thanks Dustin

Is it possible that you have the wires to the coils bacwards?
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

+1, Yep, I am betting your wires are backwards. As in, you put the coils in the wrong positions. Easy way to fix it, pull the tank off, pull the wires off the coils and swap them. Try to start it.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Easy way to see if coils are wired wrong is to swap plug wires 1with 2 , 3with4.
        79SF
        XJ11
        78E

Comment

I tried to swap the plugs but they won't reach I want to try to swap the coil wires do they just clip into the coils I just pull them out and reverse them or do I have to take the wires off one coil and but them on another thanks

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
            Easy way to see if coils are wired wrong is to swap plug wires 1with 2 , 3with4.
            Maybe not be a possibility after all, went out to swap my XJ wires to see what would happen and the inner plug wires would not reach the outer plugs. My latent theory was that the wasted spark would run either way. May have the SF out later and will try it to see if they reach.
            79SF
            XJ11
            78E

Comment

Do I need to do anything to get the timing right. Line up the arrow on the side to the timing plate or anything like that

Comment

At the coils swap the wires. You will see one set has an orange wire with a red/white wire, the other set has grey with red/white. They probably match the wire colors of the coils. Swap the grey and red/white with the orange and red/white. The connectors are identical, so just un plug both, swap, and plug back in.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DRedel View Post
                  Do I need to do anything to get the timing right. Line up the arrow on the side to the timing plate or anything like that
                  That's fixed and controlled electronicly.......
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by DRedel View Post
                    I have spark but it's just not hitting at the right time.
                    It is possible to reinstall the reluctor 180 degrees out. IIRC it should be pointing at the top P/U coil when the engine is at #1 TDC. JAT
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      That's fixed and controlled electronically.......
                      But note that he replaced the pick-up coils... if he got an earlier assembly with slotted mounting holes, it might not be right...
                      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                      '82 XJ rebuild project
                      '80SG restified, red SOLD
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I dident change the whole assembly I just took the pick up coils off and put ones from eBay on. How so I know If it's tdc

Comment

Pull the #1 (left side) spark plug, and the cover for the pick-up coils/timing. rotate the engine until the arrow and the "T" are ALMOST lined up. Put a "new" or long pencil into the spark plug hole, and SLOWLY rotate the crank. You should see the pencil rise and then stop. at that point, you are CLOSE to TDC, and the arrow should be lined up, or very close, to the "T" mark. If not, loosen the screws that hold down the plate the coils are mounted to, and rotate it one way or the other until you are on. Tighten the screws, and you should ready to ride. You WILL want to check with a timing light soon, if possible.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            It is possible to reinstall the reluctor 180 degrees out. IIRC it should be pointing at the top P/U coil when the engine is at #1 TDC. JAT
                            Not to worry, the plate will only go on one way, due to an offset slot in the plate hub. If you don't have to use a hammer to get the Allen bolt in, you're good. CZ

Comment

I have the tank off but I can't see the wires going into the coils to swap

Comment

Working...
                              X