Calling all Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
    Still working on it, don't understand adjust to highest vac. How do you do that to one while the others are running. Seems to run fine until I test it on the road then the idle still fluctuates and rev's up to 2K>3K at full stop on neutral have to punch into gear to get rpm 's down.

btw I am now working with a 4 gauge setup
    If it seems to run good when setting it but runs the rpms up after riding a ways then you are too lean. I do not know if you upped your pilot jets or not but I would take them up one size and try it again. Warmed up (after riding a few miles) the bike rpm should not climb unless you are jetted to lean.
    My 79SF has K+N pods and Jardine Spaghetti headers. I had to go up one size on the pilots and two sizes on the mains to satisfy it. Doing a high speed chop still shows me a tad lean under WOT, 5th gear and a slight uphill. It also tops out about 10mph under what my 78E with a jammer will do so I will have to try one more time.
    2-79 XS1100 SF
    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
      If it seems to run good when setting it but runs the rpms up after riding a ways then you are too lean. I do not know if you upped your pilot jets or not but I would take them up one size and try it again. Warmed up (after riding a few miles) the bike rpm should not climb unless you are jetted to lean.
      My 79SF has K+N pods and Jardine Spaghetti headers. I had to go up one size on the pilots and two sizes on the mains to satisfy it. Doing a high speed chop still shows me a tad lean under WOT, 5th gear and a slight uphill. It also tops out about 10mph under what my 78E with a jammer will do so I will have to try one more time.
      Thanks for explaining that I am truly getting a grip on this finally. I am running stock 110's and 42.5's across with oem exhaust and the screws 1 1/4 turns out. Will try 1 then 3/4 turns and see how it goes. I have 45's on standby and will order 112.5 if needed. Will 45's work with 110's or do they both have to be bumped up at the same time. Trying to maximize mileage if possible. Too bad for me, your post was a day late I just ordered colortune yesterday could have saved some $, anyway it's a 2 week delivery time from across the pond.
      Last edited by Nubian; 04-03-2012, 05:08 AM.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

You ate thinking backwards with the idle needles. These needles regulate fuel not air like most carbs. Open them up to richer the mix. Try 2 turns out.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          You ate thinking backwards with the idle needles. These needles regulate fuel not air like most carbs. Open them up to richer the mix. Try 2 turns out.
          That's what I thought initially and when I could not get it right my friend took me to his bike mechanic who convinced me that they regulate air and that the synch screws regulated the fuel to help synch. So I reasoned turning them out would let more air in causing an even leaner mix. The more I turned them in the less popping I got in the exhaust so I bought I was on the right track. I guess that's why my pipes were averaging between 120-170 degrees.
          Last edited by Nubian; 04-03-2012, 05:43 AM.
          BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Yeah, they just quite firing altogether that's why the popping stopped. With my setup I am at about 2 3/4-3 turns out on mine.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah, they just quite firing altogether that's why the popping stopped. With my setup I am at about 2 3/4-3 turns out on mine.
              What kind of mileage do you get with that setup?
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

I did not realize you were that many turns in on you mixture screws. Maybe I missed it and should read more carefully. By all means try what Nate said. Take em out half a turn and see how it goes. I run anywhere from about 2 turns out to 4 1/2 turns out depending on what the bike likes. If it is not in that range then you need to rejet the pilots. Like Ba80 says if you adjust to the best vacuum and synch and repeat till it is right, you will have a great running machine.
                As far as mileage goes if you make the bike run right you will get the best mileage possible. No matter what other people get with their bikes, it is what runs best on your bike that will get you the best mileage. On another note, trying to get the very best mileage may end up with you running lean which is a killer for these engines. The leaner the mix the hotter it burns. Too hot = engine death.
                2-79 XS1100 SF
                2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Cake
                  2 turns was good but 2 1/2 was even better. When I get my colortune I will really be able to dial it in

Big THANK YOU to you and everyone else that dialed in.
                  BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Diskman01 View Post
                    I did the jet juggle when I got my XS as the PO put pods on.. Decided that the stock 110s were fine. Sparkplugs are fine after driving many interstate miles. My LOW end is a tad rich tho.. Never did figure out why. Tried swapping smaller low-speed jets to no avail. Just makes it run gaspy.
                    Drop your float levels .5mm and re-tune, or re-set your idle mix....too rich in the idle circuit which takes you up to the 3800rpm range, leaving the stock 42.5pilots in.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Nate's setting WILL be really close for you, with any varience attributed to slight differences of float level/actual fuel level settings. BTW, actual fuel levels in bowls IS the factory reccomended method for the 81/82XJ carbs. 3mm+-1mm down from upper carb base for fuel level. Have mine at the 5mm range which transfers to an exact 24mm for static float setting. This works well for consitantly ridden at 5000ft. elev. and ABOVE. 1mm of static float setting transfers to 3mm of actual fuel level change. When getting CLOSE to correct, very intricate seeminly irrelevant changes have huge changes to actual results. Just a word to the wise..................
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Latest Saga

Took a 2 hr ride yesterday and parked "Brutus" for about 10 hrs, When I started him up to go back home, he was idling rough. I thought here we go again, I thought that the carbs somehow got out of synch again. Well I had to keep on the throttle revving sometimes up to 3K to keep from stalling through stop and go traffic for almost an hour. When traffic cleared up I tried to open up and he stalled, I was just able to make it off the road. Upon inspection (which I should have done initially) I noticed the vacuum hose for #3 & 4 had practically melted off the nipple (It was a generic clear blue plastic type hose). What a relief fixed it and rode home, wasn't as smooth as the ride down just seemed a little rougher I thought, maybe it was just me being such a pessimist. Anyway after I got home it hit me, that I was most likely running/revving through stop and go traffic on just #1 & 2 cylinders before noticing the problem

Did I hurt anything?
                        Last edited by Nubian; 04-05-2012, 12:02 PM.
                        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Working...
                        X