No announcement yet.

Calling all Pods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree fully about the 1 guage method. I don't know how you could get it done properly that way. Like Tod says it can probably be done but to quote Fred it would "require the patience of a saint".

As far as the mixture screws, I got this from XJOK2PLAY and Maximan, if you sync then adjust the mixture screws to the highest vacuum on all cylinders then repeat and repeat until you get steady readings .............man that IS the way to get it right.

You have to have a 4 guage setup though.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
      Now I'm having a hell of a time trying to fine tune it.
      btw I kept the stock 110's and 4-2 exhaust.
      Oh and which is best screw or plug terminal top type? and what is the optimal spark plug gap? FSM gives a range (.023 - .032)

Yours truly
      Hey Nubian,

IS the 4-2 exhaust OEM or aftermarket, I can't remember? IF aftermarket, then it combined with the Mikes pods may make your machine a bit lean with those 110 jets!?

Aside from the vac gauge, did you get a 4 way air valve to place between the plenum and the engine, so that you can easily and quickly change from 1 cylinder to another without having to remove and reattach the tubing??

As to the spark plug caps....even the ones that have/use the threaded top, they are still press on fittings. The screw/thread tops are more commonly used with motorcycles vs. the large smooth tops for cars.

With OEM coils, best to keep the gap within oem spec, with hi output coils it's been suggested to use a slightly larger gap.

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I do like the chamber to dampen the pulses. Someone on this site had a contraption made from an aquarium manifold where hoses from each carb fed the manifold and he could just switch from one carb to the other for pressure comparisons by turning the valves.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

By ear. I made a synch tool on the cheap.
          Spend the few extra bucks and get the 4-way aquarium valve for this; that way you can quickly and easily switch between cylinders while syncing, plus the valves can be used to dampen the gauge making it much easier to read.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

OEM exhaust. Negative on the 4-way, working on that. BTW how come the 4 gauge set-ups need not a plenum?
            Also there is a wide range with gapping, is there a setting that works best for most?

Thanks again all.

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
            Hey Nubian,

IS the 4-2 exhaust OEM or aftermarket, I can't remember? IF aftermarket, then it combined with the Mikes pods may make your machine a bit lean with those 110 jets!?

Aside from the vac gauge, did you get a 4 way air valve to place between the plenum and the engine, so that you can easily and quickly change from 1 cylinder to another without having to remove and reattach the tubing??

As to the spark plug caps....even the ones that have/use the threaded top, they are still press on fittings. The screw/thread tops are more commonly used with motorcycles vs. the large smooth tops for cars.

With OEM coils, best to keep the gap within oem spec, with hi output coils it's been suggested to use a slightly larger gap.

T.C.
            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

BTW how come the 4 gauge set-ups need not a plenum?
              Because the motorcycle-specific gauges have restrictions in their inlet to help with damping. Automotive gauges don't need that because the 'plenum' is the intake manifold....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Ordering up a brass one.
                Thanks
                No batters up on the gapping?

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                Spend the few extra bucks and get the 4-way aquarium valve for this; that way you can quickly and easily switch between cylinders while syncing, plus the valves can be used to dampen the gauge making it much easier to read.
                BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Someone on this site had a contraption made from an aquarium manifold where hoses from each carb fed the manifold and he could just switch from one carb to the other for pressure comparisons by turning the valves.

Don't know if you were talking about me, but I used to have a single gauge setup much like what he does, but used one of these I found cheap off Ebay. They make cheap plastic ones, but these are brass.

That way you could open and close the valve to each intake quickly. Also, you could just barely open the valve and it acted like an additional dampener. But.. I did away with the setup because it was too hard to get things anywhere except maybe somewhere close.
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

...No batters up on the gapping?
                    With high-output coils like the Dyna 'green' ones, you can bump the plug gap up to .035", I personally wouldn't go any wider than that.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

With no previous replies and OEM coils I went with .030, running rough right now will mess with screws after warm-up.

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                      With high-output coils like the Dyna 'green' ones, you can bump the plug gap up to .035", I personally wouldn't go any wider than that.
                      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

are you selling?
                        Originally posted by trbig View Post
                        Don't know if you were talking about me, but I used to have a single gauge setup much like what he does, but used one of these I found cheap off Ebay. They make cheap plastic ones, but these are brass.

That way you could open and close the valve to each intake quickly. Also, you could just barely open the valve and it acted like an additional dampener. But.. I did away with the setup because it was too hard to get things anywhere except maybe somewhere close.
                        BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

are you selling?

Nope, but I'm giving if you PM me your address. I got two of them when I bought it for mine.
                          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                          '06 Suzuki DR650
                          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                          '81 XS1100 Special
                          '81 YZ250
                          '80 XS850 Special
                          '80 XR100
                          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Did you go up one size with just the mains or the pilots also?
                            Your stock jets will work, but I finally went up one size and it runs a little better and cooler going down the road. Two sizes was too rich. Main jets are cheap... so experiment. Since you'll have pods on, taking the carbs in and out to do so wil be a snap! I'm running stock exhaust by the way.
                            BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Still working on it, don't understand adjust to highest vac. How do you do that to one while the others are running. Seems to run fine until I test it on the road then the idle still fluctuates and rev's up to 2K>3K at full stop on neutral have to punch into gear to get rpm 's down.

btw I am now working with a 4 gauge setup

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              I agree fully about the 1 guage method. I don't know how you could get it done properly that way. Like Tod says it can probably be done but to quote Fred it would "require the patience of a saint".

As far as the mixture screws, I got this from XJOK2PLAY and Maximan, if you sync then adjust the mixture screws to the highest vacuum on all cylinders then repeat and repeat until you get steady readings .............man that IS the way to get it right.

You have to have a 4 guage setup though.
                              Last edited by Nubian; 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM.
                              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Even when your not trying....
                                Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

Working...
                                X