No announcement yet.

Carburetor Rebuild - Butterflies stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BA80 is correct in saying the rail does NOT have to be removed to remove the caps off the top of the vacuum diaphrams. He is also correct with the spring location for the needle retainers. I would advise not seperating the carbs, unless they are known for sure to be totally wacked internally. Doing this will require a whole array of new pieces(o-rings,etc.) and a new language learned.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

i'm always careful around petrochemicals. i've got 3K gallons of diesel behind me atm. nonetheless i thank you for the concern. the windshield you have looks to fit well and seems clean w the lines of the bike. i'm going to check JC Whitney and price it. this is becoming a more expensive project than i anticipated, but the only NEEED as of now is the air filter.

I really like the king/queen seat you have there. I had one on my '80cb750k and it was nice for the long hauls. Maybe I'll look into one for the XS later in the year. For now, I'll settle with my backrest.
      Last edited by CWLindeman; 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWLindeman View Post
        but the only NEEED as of now is the air filter.
        Whitney has those too. I've got the reusable foam Unifilter in both my scoots.

Originally posted by CWLindeman View Post
        I really like the king/queen seat you have there. I had one on my '80cb750k and it was nice for the long hauls. Maybe I'll look into one for the XS later in the year. For now, I'll settle with my backrest.
        Thank you CW. Everybody else gives me crap about that seat. Yes, it is great to tie stuff on for long trips. I have a pillow I always take along for a backrest.

Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

[QUOTE=BA80;360336] Thank you CW. Everybody else gives me crap about that seat. Yes, it is great to tie stuff on for long trips. I have a pillow I always take along for a backrest.

QUOTE]

It's not the seat Greg, it's the skid mark down the center.

Well, maybe it is the seat, a little.
          CZ

Comment

Hey all. I am having this same problem. Soaking them in a off the shelf bucket carb cleaner because they are really bad. I was wonder how you did with those carbs soaking in Gas. My #1 carb is so stuck at this point it doesn't move at all. I would rather not have to buy a second set of carbs and piece them together, but it looks like that is something I will have to do.
            79 SF "Under Construction and in a million pieces"

Comment

You might as well buy new shaft seals now and just replace them, that will solve all the problems.

Often times those gallon cams of carb dip will ruin (more rhan they already are) old shaft seals and cause air leaked.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah I was thinking I may have to get new seals. There is other issues with this set of carbs I got that I need to soak them for. This is going to be a completely new carb set by the time I get done. Grrr. Alas, I love doing it.
                79 SF "Under Construction and in a million pieces"

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  Prove it to me
                  Not proof but yup you are wrong. No smileys on edit function sucks
                  2-79 XS1100 SF
                  2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                  80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                  Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                    Not proof but yup you are wrong. No smileys on edit function sucks
                    This was the thread that made me fund the one last Issue that was the cause of my problems. Those springs being on the wrong side of the needl made the bike run like crap! And now she runs great!
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights
                    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines
                    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                    X