Carburetor Rebuild - Butterflies stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetor Rebuild - Butterflies stuck

I was amazed to get this 79XS1100SF with only 6K miles. However, It hasnt been run since 1985, maybe 1984. It was stored with fuel in the tank, so I undertook the rebuild, along with corroded electrical, but enough about that.

On to the issue:
    I've managed to painstakingly work out all the varnish, which practically painted the thing shut. The rebuild kit is here (ordered from eBay). Now my only issue is that the butterflies wouldn't open at all. I've sprayed the hell out of it with PB Blaster and worked it pretty hard up and down. Now they move with much less force, but the return spring is still not shutting the valves.
    Is there somewhere specific that I should be lubricating; or should I keep working it back and forth? I've never taken a carb apart until now and I think I've done pretty good with this one, but the sticking throttle is the only thing that's really keeping me from getting this on the road (and waiting for the new TCI to come in- scheduled Monday or Tuesday).

More specifically, the throttle lever (where the cable attaches) is what I'm referring to.

Welcome Neighbor

Watch how much PB you use on this area of the carbs as there are rubber butterfly shaft seals that may not withstand the harsness of the solvents.
    You may want to try some silicon spray lubricant. HTH
    1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
    1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
    1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
    1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
    1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

The thought off possibly unmolested 79 special carbs makes me drool with envy.

In regards to your specific question I suppose carb spray would be my suggestion. Having busted my cherry on these carbs a long time ago ,with less than stellar results I must say, I hope you've done due research on this site on the subject. Will greatly increase the odds of successful results .

My approach to carb rebuilding now bears little resemblance to my first attempt. I wish this site had existed then. Good Luck
      79SF
      XJ11
      78E

Comment

Try soaking them in some fresh gasoline. Gasoline will dissolve the varnish.

Your other choice is to further disassemble by removing the plates and pulling the shafts out.

Gas should work. Choose a well ventilated area away from any pilot lights or anything like that.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I am unable to get the rail that holds the carbs together off of them to get to all the slides. I'll try the silicone first, then, if that doesn't work, I"ll soak in gasoline (with the diaphragm assembly still apart).

When it comes to the slide needle attached to the diaphragm assembly, how do I remove the slide needle, so that I may replace it (one of them is loose)?

This site has been a wealth of information. 2 days until this bike is whole again. I can't wait to be back on the road, even though it seems a late snow is rearing its ugly head.

I'll be sure to add some pics when I've reassembled the bike. Other than a little oxidation on the chrome, its in impeccable condition.
          Last edited by CWLindeman; 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWLindeman View Post
            I am unable to get the rail that holds the carbs together off of them to get to all the slides. I'll try the silicone first, then, if that doesn't work, I"ll soak in gasoline (with the diaphragm assembly still apart).

When it comes to the slide needle attached to the diaphragm assembly, how do I remove the slide needle, so that I may replace it (one of them is loose)?

This site has been a wealth of information. 2 days until this bike is whole again. I can't wait to be back on the road, even though it seems a late snow is rearing its ugly head.

I'll be sure to add some pics when I've reassembled the bike. Other than a little oxidation on the chrome, its in impeccable condition.
            Use some heat to help remove the screws that hold the carbs onto the rail.

The slide needles should move some. There is a spring sitting on top of the needle to allow some movement. So it is the 3 that do not move that are gummed up and need the attention. There is a C clip down inside the slide tube that needs to be removed and that will allow the needles to be removed.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Nate is right about the needles, they should all be loose and you should be able to pull them down a bit from the diaphragm slide and they will be pulled back in by the springs.

You shouldn't have to separate the carbs unless your going to pull the butterfly shafts out. Just strip them down and put all the bodies in the gas all together. It won't hurt anything.

Work the butterfies while your soaking them and they should loosen up and wash out the varnish.

As I said before, do this in a well ventalated area away from anything that could possibly ignite the fumes. Outside would be best.

Don't want you burnin' down bro'.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                they should all be loose and you should be able to pull them down a bit from the diaphragm slide and they will be pulled back in by the springs.
                Now I could be wrong here BUT I think that the early carbs the spring goes on top of the needle and the spring pushes the needle down and not up.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Your wrong.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Your wrong.
                    Prove it to me
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well Nate, I have 8 slides in my carb parts bin that tell me your wrong and 2 banks on the bikes I have that tell me your wrong and one extra bank of carbs I rebuilt that tell me your wrong. All of the 78-79 style.

Prove them wrong.
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I am unable to get the rail that holds the carbs together off of them to get to all the slides.

The impact driver is what you need to remove the rail. Replace the cross point screws with allen head screws.

I look forward to the pics. Go after the chrome with a wad of aluminum foil and some water. Follow up with chrome polish.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                          The impact driver is what you need to remove the rail. Replace the cross point screws with allen head screws.

+1 on that. I replaced all those stupid phillips heads with allens. They had it going good with the allens in the cases and then went and put phillips in the carbs.
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Try soaking them in some fresh gasoline. Gasoline will dissolve the varnish.

Your other choice is to further disassemble by removing the plates and pulling the shafts out.

Gas should work. Choose a well ventilated area away from any pilot lights or anything like that.
                            i have them soaking in a 5 gallon bucket (on the deck for safety- thanks BA80). when i get done work at 6am, ill try working them loose. i wish i had known gasoline would remove the varnish. i would have saved a few bucks there. new tires ordered today, expected by Friday. im a little anxious about this rebuild, now that i made my MBSR hotel reservations. Getting this running PROPERLY is key.

can anyone reccomend a removable windshield? last year i was so fatigued from the wind tearing on my half-helmet, i swore to never undertake a 5+hour trip without a windshield ever again. i would prefer to take it off once i reach my hotel. any reccomendations are appreciated.

I guess after the new TCI comes and the carbs are done, ill mount the backrest and get ready for new saddle bags. a little early to worry about such things, but i want this trip to go off as smooth as possible from the start. maybe ill just rig it up kinda half-assed packing and buy my bags there for super-cheap.

Comment

i wish i had known gasoline would remove the varnish.
                              The varnish is just the residue left by the evaporated gas. The reason it's not widely used is it's so flammable and dangerous, that's why I added the precaution. Please be careful.

can anyone reccomend a removable windshield? last year i was so fatigued from the wind tearing on my half-helmet, i swore to never undertake a 5+hour trip without a windshield ever again. i would prefer to take it off once i reach my hotel. any reccomendations are appreciated.
                              There are several universal windshields available. They are, well mine is, easy to remove and you can just leave the mounts on the bike. I got my street shied from JC Whitney. Here's a pic......

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X