pops & gurgles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pops & gurgles

Hope this hasn't been discussed too much previously...my bike does a lot of popping and gurgling at slow speeds, in 1st and 2nd gears. Sounds like its coming from the exhaust. Can anyone explain why this happens, if its bad (I don't really mind it, I think it sounds kinda cool but I want to fix it if its harmful), and what can be done about it. Many thanks, as always
    80 XS1100G

Either sucking air from a leak in exhaust somewhere, lean idle circuit or float levels a bit too low. Now if you've done any changes such as pods or 4into one.........all bets are off as you've opened up an entirely different can of worms.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

What kind of exhaust do you have? Popping is a known side effect of some exhausts, the Jardine spaghetti exhaust being one of them, gurgling could also be from a slight shifting of the tuning from the same cause.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
        What kind of exhaust do you have? Popping is a known side effect of some exhausts, the Jardine spaghetti exhaust being one of them
        Never heard a TIGHTLY sealed Jardine spaghetti system as of yet do that Cy. And any 4into1 system I've heard always seems to be a previous used one, and yea, they seem to do that, but there cond. leaves alot to be desired, least the ones I've seen used on most XS's would fair better if scrapped.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
          Never heard a TIGHTLY sealed Jardine spaghetti system as of yet do that Cy. And any 4into1 system I've heard always seems to be a previous used one, and yea, they seem to do that, but there cond. leaves alot to be desired, least the ones I've seen used on most XS's would fair better if scrapped.
          I know mines tight with no leaks, and it pops on decel. I was concerned but the plug color is correct, and the idle is good, and I've found multiple references to popping on decel being normal for Jardine Spaghetti systems. I don't get any popping any other time, it's ONLY on decel, and I don't get any gurgling which is why I said it might be something that's off adjustment wise because of the exhaust or something.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

I have yet to completely identify the pipes I have, I think they may be Jardine 4-2. There is a Kerker sticker on them, but I do not recall Kerker dealing in 4-2 systems.

Anyway, I have colortuned, plug color tuned, synched this bike more than once. I always end up with poping on decel. No backfire level pops, but the typical putter put poping. Same thing with Thunderstruck when I had that one. It had stock exhaust, but a PO had drilled out the end plates to let it breath better. I always atributed the poping to the drilled out exhaust. No tuning would ever get rid of it on either bike.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

mine also pops/gurgles during decel...I have no idea what kind of exhaust it is, its just stock. no modifications. the rubber of my carb boots is cracking a bit but i doubt that's what causes this
              80 XS1100G

Comment

If no leaks, usually means a tad lean in the idle circuit Silver.

Comment

Working...
                X