straight header

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straight header

so now ive put the bike back together after lubing the driveshaft/wheel splines and i see how the zirc fitting doesnt get the grease anywhere near the spline, only around the outside of the housing bearing (cup). i used a butter knife and packed it with Coastal NLGI-2 grease with moly. there wasnt too much grease inside around the driveshaft spline, so im glad it took care of it, thanks to all who posted. it was extemely easy. so i had to remove my 4/1 Kirker pipe and before reinstalling it, i was thinking about taking it out without the muffler and make some noise. my question is, will i cause any problems just running the straight 4/1 cause of lack of back pressure? im not planning on leaving it off, but i want to hear it and ride it without being mufflered. will it run too lean, or will it be ok?
    what do ya think?
    Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 03-01-2012, 08:53 PM.
    Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
    Kerker 4/1
    stock carbs and air box.
    78 headlite, handle bars,
    1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
    crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
    78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
    94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

I run my Kerker with no baffle most of the time, it makes no difference, runs great either way, I prefer the louder sound unless on a long trip. I run larger jets and a drilled airbox with K&N. Kerker makes 2 collector sizes on their 4-1's, I have the larger size, 2 1/2" IIRC.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

You may notice a slight reduction in low end torque due to a leaner fuel mixture, or maybe not notice it due to the increased volume from the open exhaust confusing the senses, but as a temporary experiment, it should cause no harm.
      If you do however like the results and want to stick with the open exhaust, some jetting changes should be considered.
      '78 E "Stormbringer"

Purrs like a kitten, roars like a lion, runs like a gazelle (being chased by a cheetah).

pics http://s1209.photobucket.com/albums/...tormbringer45/

Comment

Kerker with no baffle, Click on video....

2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Rumble

hey Phil, that sounds great. i like the rumble. im talking about no muffler, just the 4/1 open where the muffler attatches, not just the baffle. if it wont cause an issue, ill do a test ride and see how it sounds.

Last edited by mjpxs11sh; 03-02-2012, 12:02 AM.
          Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
          Kerker 4/1
          stock carbs and air box.
          78 headlite, handle bars,
          1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
          crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
          78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
          94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

Working...