Model vs model advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model vs model advice

Ok, so I now know that the XS Eleven that I am after is a 1980 XS1100G model which I dicovered here:http://www.biker.net/81_xs1100h_part...ls2_index.html (Pics below)

It has some cosmetic damage, but nothing that can't be fixed or replaced. My biggest headache is that the bike was last licensed in 1986 and there are no papers. So I will have plenty of work to get the bike into my name which is going to cost between $375 and $750. It will probably also take a few months to get the process completed with the state of our authorities here. I don't mind spending the bucks on the licensing, as I can get the bike for $250. So it will still be a bit of a bargain.

Another option I have is to buy up a Midnight Specail, which is licensed, but the the head will need new valves and a new crank (according to the advert). I was then thinking of stripping down the motor of the unlicensed bike and using the spares to rebuild the midnight special's motor. Unfortunately the guy lives about 700km from me so I'm not really keen to go all the way down and see that the motor is completely stuffed and cannot be salvaged. I have no history on the bike so don't know what caused all the damage.

What does concern me is that the ad said it will need a new crank. I do not know if there will be any damage to the sub assembly (block) itself, apecailly where the bearings will have to go back. There might even be problems with the bore and maybe damage to the pistons if the valves hit the piston heads.

Questions:

1) Are the motors from the Mdinight special and XS Eleven the same or were there mods between the different models?

2) If the motors are identical, what do you think the chances are of the sub assemly being totally stuffed?

My main concern is the sub assembly, as that is where the engine no. is usually stamped and I will have to reuse it. All other parts I can build over from the XS eleven.

Thanks in advance

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Like This

MultiQuote
    Edit
    Life is not measured by the amount of times we breathe, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Current Bike: Yamaha TDM900

The engines are the same mechanically but the MNS has a black powder coated engine case.

That picture you put up is NOT either an SG or LG. That is a Standard. 78 or 79.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Thanks BA80

Sorry, but I'm still learning about all the different models. What is an SG and LG?

The serial no. on the frame of the bike is 3X1-00288. According to http://www.biker.net/81_xs1100h_part...ls2_index.html my model is a 1980 XS1100G

Is there a link for a site that explains all the different models and what the major differences are?
      Last edited by Speed Devil; 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM.
      Life is not measured by the amount of times we breathe, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

SG is a 1980 Special,LG is a1980 MidnightSpecial.

that one you have in the pic is very similar to a 1978 Standard but appears to be some European model I don't actually recognize.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Devil View Post
          Questions:

1) Are the motors from the Mdinight special and XS Eleven the same or were there mods between the different models?

2) If the motors are identical, what do you think the chances are of the sub assemly being totally stuffed?

My main concern is the sub assembly, as that is where the engine no. is usually stamped and I will have to reuse it. All other parts I can build over from the XS eleven.
          I'll take a stab at this....

1) All the motors are basically the same. There are differences in the pistons/head/etc on the various US models, but that may not be true elsewhere. But the Midnights were primarily for the US market, so that may be US-spec. Getting numbers off the motors should tell which version it is.

2) Even if the motors are different versions, all the differences will be limited to the top-end, so swapping parts between them will work as long as you change 'matched' parts.

The other thing to be aware of is there are major differences between 'standard' and 'special' models in terms of the rest of the bike. Frames, forks, fenders, seats, and lots of smaller parts won't interchange or not easily so a 'special' model won't be much help for parts on a standard and vice-versa.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            SG is a 1980 Special,LG is a1980 MidnightSpecial.

that one you have in the pic is very similar to a 1978 Standard but appears to be some European model I don't actually recognize.
            Thanks

This is a New Zealand/ Oceania version

Comment

...that one you have in the pic is very similar to a 1978 Standard but appears to be some European model I don't actually recognize.
              Greg, the 'everywhere but here' Standards looked like our '78-79 standards all the way to the end of production, so that can be a '80 model.

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
              '82 XJ rebuild project
              '79F parts...
              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

I just went back and read your first post. Sorry, I see you said a G model which IS a standard. My mistake there.

That pic looks like an older model though, mainly because the brake rotors aren't slotted and the tail piece behind the seat that was only on the 78 standard I believe.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  Greg, the 'everywhere but here' Standards looked like our '78-79 standards all the way to the end of production, so that can be a '80 model.
                  Yeah, OK.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

I just went back and read your first post. Sorry, I see you said a G model which IS a standard. My mistake there. - No problem

That pic looks like an older model though, mainly because the brake rotors aren't slotted and the tail piece behind the seat that was only on the 78 standard I believe.
                    I do not know the full history behind the bike, but have been told that some parts have been changed. Unfortunately I do no know which parts

Comment

From what I see, it looks mostly original if somewhat abused. The one hard-to-find bit will be a proper exhaust, so getting a bike with that already on it is worth looking for...

'82 XJ rebuild project
                      '79F parts...
                      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

If you can get the MNS at a decent price and the engine in that standard is good you've got a bike + a parts bike.

It looks like the engine will match the MNS by the pic. They must have used the black cases on the euro bikes.
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

VIN # IDENTICATION
                          Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hi Sean,
                            yes, you can swap the good motor into the titled frame and it'll work just fine.
                            As the titled bike is a Midnight Special (which is just a blacked-out Special with gold chrome) it will have the Special's front-mounted axle, Weird Harold front calipers, tiny gas tank and 16" rear wheel.
                            If those features are not to your taste you can swap in the complete front end, gas tank and 17" rear wheel from the bike you are robbing the engine out of. Or any combination you fancy to build yourself a unique hybrid.
                            Fred Hill, S'toon
                            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Doesn't the MNS have different brakes Fred?
                              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                              X