Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about bike market value

Dear all,

It's tough to put a price on this model cause I love it, but I was shocked to see that a 1978 xs11 standard carries just over 1,000$ as a kelly blue book price tag... Is that accurate?

Andrew

If so, I got taken to the cleaners for mine, but it's only got 6k miles on it

Originally posted by andrewraffaele View Post
    Dear all,

It's tough to put a price on this model cause I love it, but I was shocked to see that a 1978 xs11 standard carries just over 1,000$ as a kelly blue book price tag... Is that accurate?

Andrew

If so, I got taken to the cleaners for mine, but it's only got 6k miles on it
    It's not entirely accurate, but the loan value won't exceed that. Usually, you'll have to pay twice that and more for nice bike. Sometimes we get lucky.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

It's hard to put a value on these bikes. You have to remember that the blue book take an average of registered sales. A pristine 78E that is show room quality could fetch $2000 or more and a parts bike will sell for $100 (or even be free). It also depends on where you live. I hear they are more valuable the further north you go .

If you fill that you got your money’s worth then that’s all that matters. We all get on here and brag that we only paid $XXX (at least I did ) amount but then spent $800 to $1500 to get them road worthy and looking the way we want them.

Only 6k miles that's a great find.
      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Used motorcycle values can be all over the map... for an extreme example, look here: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35583

Blue book prices on bikes are very rarely accurate once they get beyond 4-5 years old. At that point, it becomes all about condition and how much the buyer is willing to pay. Pristine, all-original E models have been seen to sell for up to $5K, but a more typical 'average' price would probably be closer to $1-2K.

These are US prices; overseas, they'll pull a lot more money for the right model.
        Last edited by crazy steve; 02-27-2012, 10:14 AM.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Very interesting discussion

I've been meaning to post my recent experience. Three weeks ago, I bought a 1980 xs1100 sg (a special) for $1900. The guy wanted $2300, but took the $1900. It has about 6300 miles on it. The guy I bought it from put two new tires on it that still had the the little new rubber nipples sticking off the edges. So I think they're really new. No, I haven't checked the date stamp. Also, he said that he did a carb rebuild. I believe him I guess. Everything looks stock. I didn't ride it before I bought it; I watched him take it through the gears.

The thing looks in great shape. The chrome is very clean, almost no dings anywhere. Also, he didn't wash it very well, and I haven't either. I think when I do, the bike will look beautiful. One issue is that the headlight looks to have been knocked a little off center. I can only guess how that happened. I've ordered new headlight mounting ears to solve that problem.

When I bought it, I really didn't know much about the xs1100. Honestly, I didn't really know about it until I got it home. I was just looking for a an older jap bike that would go fast and would allow me to sit up pretty straight in the seat. I would have been happy with a Suzuki GS750 or Honda CB750. I was also looking at BMW r100's from the 80's. Basically, I like to ride, so I wasn't going to be picky. Bikes are call . . . all of them. I like to fix 'em, but my main purpose is riding.

Now that I know a little about the xs1100, I'm thrilled I got it. I've ridden it several times, weather permitting, and I love that thing. It's still not running quite right; the carbs need . . . . something. Balancing? It hesitates a bit when you turn the throttle. I'll figure it out. It's a 1980, so I want to re-jet it. And I'll do the fork brace, too. And a backrest. Saddlebags. Maybe a fairing. But mostly I'm gonna ride it.

As for value, I'm slightly worried that I paid too much. But on the other hand, it runs pretty darn well. So overall, I'm not going to look too hard at the market to see if I should have only paid $1300 or whatever. I'm happy with it, and feel lucky to have accidentally stepped into
          Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
          mods to come

Comment

Not such a bad price

I bought my 1980 SG a couple of years ago and paid $1200. Basically since then all I have done is get on it and ride - ran great when I got it and that hasn't changed! I must admit over this winter I did get around to doing all the fiddly bits: New tires ($121.00), fuse block ($13.00), new exhaust (headers & pipes $70.00), changed fluids, worked over the calipers and master cylinders, new s/s brake lines ordered ($150.00), clean, polish, paint, etc. my $1200 is now $1550. I don't figure that's a bad investment given how much pleasure I derive from having it. So, $1000 or $2000 - really doesn't matter if that's what it's worth to you Just enjoy it!
            1980 XS 1100 Special
            Mostly stock & original
            Added Yamaha fairing (w/ 8-track!)
            Torpedo bags
            New paint (still) pending
            Stainless brake lines
            Tkat forkbrace
            Coils from Honda 1000

Previous bikes:
            1968(?) 350 Harley Davidson
            1977 Yamaha 650

Comment

Thanks Barrel. Yeah, that's the way I figure it. I'll get around to doing the things you mention, like the SS brake lines. Plus, I live in Northern NJ, right outside of NYC, and stuff here is pricy.

Value really is in the eyes of the beholder. Some guys around here play golf on Sundays. I'd rather ride. Do you have any idea how much it costs to play golf around here? Club memberships cost more than houses. So I'm happy with what I've invested.
              Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
              mods to come

Comment

I'm gonna take some pictures so you guys can see my ride, I'd like your thoughts and opinions about the bike's authenticity and condition. I'm a 3 year XS11 rider and I own two 78's.

I don't know the model's history like you all, I've gotten curious the more I ride. Last summer I put several thousand miles on my LA bike going from Northern Michigan to Los Angeles. She took care of me the whole time, can't beat these bikes...

I'm tempted to list my cleaner 78 over seas... Jesus those brits, I could sell mine and buy 5 more.

Comment

First off, the brits are looking for the stock european models. They appear to be more rare than the US models.

As tot he value of one in the US, well, first it depends what time of year you go looking. In the late fall every bike is cheaper than it will be in the late spring when the bug gets ahold of folks. My first XS was listed at $1800, I spent three weeks or so emailing the fella before I went to look at it. Then another week before I called to make an offer on it. Got it for almost half that. Now, same bike in the spring and he would have sold it in a week for that. Of course condition, and miles play a big part in the value at the end of the day, but timing is also important.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Generally speaking, to bring the big bucks you need four things; the bike shouldn't have any mechanical/electrical 'issues', low miles (under 20K, 15K is better), and perfect/excellent OEM paint and exhaust. The latter two items if not there will be at least a $2K 'fix' (probably closer to $3K), so if the bike has non-OEM paint and/or exhaust expect a big hit on value.

With modified bikes, it can be a real crapshoot. Find the right buyer, you can get a good price. But again generally speaking, a modified bike won't bring the same money if it's the same condition as a stock version. There's always exceptions; if the mods have been exceptionally well done and you haven't 'shifted' the bike too far out-of-catagory (into a more limited market chopper/bobber/cafe/etc style) you may get a close-to-mint-OEM price but don't count on it. You'll almost never recover major mod costs.
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

. Jesus those brits,
                      Not nice, old chap. Especially if you ever want one of my ultra-rare LHS rear wheel bearings...
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

[QUOTE=JerseyJon;359221 No, It's a 1980, so I want to re-jet it.[/QUOTE]

If that scoot has the stock air box and stock exhaust, NOT a good choice. Run some Sea-Foam in a tank of fuel, then maybe at the most just get the carbs synced. Having vacuum slide carbs, elevation changes not an issue on these. Just a word of advice...
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Mr. England,

My favorite prof from undergrad is a Londoner, and the professor I'm working under right now is an Oxford man. The English are ok, I guess...

Andrew

Comment

Mr. England,

My favorite prof from undergrad is a Londoner, and the professor I'm working under right now is an Oxford man. The English are ok, I guess...

Andrew
                            Vive la difference, as we say. You'll think I'm OK (you guess) too, when your wheel bearing explodes and you politely ask me to sell you one.... and I, being an English gentleman, politely oblige.......... Anyway, the chances are that you're from the same genetic stock as "those Brits" (unless you're native American?).... so don't knock mummy, daddy and the old homestead too much, old sport, eh?
                            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                              If that scoot has the stock air box and stock exhaust, NOT a good choice. Run some Sea-Foam in a tank of fuel, then maybe at the most just get the carbs synced. Having vacuum slide carbs, elevation changes not an issue on these. Just a word of advice...
                              Thanks for this advice. A question: Why is re-jetting a bad choice if there's a stock airbox and exhaust? (I may start a new thread on this question and add more details, just to foster some real good discussion of the sort that I have come to see here).

80sg
                              mods to come

Comment

Working...
                              X