CARBS!!! Now what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
    Try a little heat RJ. Propane torch should do.
    Agreed, that is where the little butane kitchen torch comes in handy again, very small compact flame. Heat the little metal frame more than the set screw.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by RJFort View Post
      - - - I have a question about the set screws that hold the choke bar. I can't seem to get them loose. Any ideas? I wont dare use the impact screwdriver there, and they sat with penetating oil on the for more than a day and still can not get them loose. if I have to totally "screw" them up to get them out do you think I should be able to find replacements? I bought all the other screws in allen wrench screws. This is a slow process right now as I do not want to damage anything as I am a total NEWB at this. - - -
      Hi Rich,
      Just to add to James "work on a towel" tip. Work inside a big cafeteria tray so those tiny parts are less liable to fall down and disappear.
      Especially the tiny balls & springs that make the choke bar go "click".
      They lurk behind the bar in #1 & #4 carbs.
      You'll find them when you get that bar out.
      If you know they are there, the balls will tip out and the springs will need to be hooked out with a bent wire.
      If you don't know they are there, they'll fire out by themselves and fly away.
      And if nobody has said yet, don't immerse the carb bodies in anything that'll dissolve rubber.
      If you dissolve the butterfly shaft seals you'll really HATE the procedure for swapping them out.
      Last edited by fredintoon; 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
      X