CARBS!!! Now what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CARBS!!! Now what to do?

Ok so I was taking my carbs apart and I get to take the top of the carbs off and the screws are frozen and the couple that I dared to try to remove shredded on the first try. Now they need to be tapped. I am afraid that the rest of the damn thing is going to be like this. Anyone have any suggestions as to what my next step should be please? Should I just have them done by the shop up the road, and do away with any headaches? I really want to learn how to do these however. I was looking at the break apart diagram in the manual and it was overwhelming. I am sure I can learn to do it, just need to figure out how to get them apart without destroying anymore screws. Also do you know where I can find replacement screws? or will any do? Not sure if they were proprietary to mikuni.

Thanks, just confused and wondering how to proceed next
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

If you're overwhelmed, farm it out. BUT, be prepared to pay top dollar for carbs that may be clean, but may not run on the bike. Final adjustments are AFTER they're installed. If you just hand them to the shop, they can't do final adjustments.
    Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

gonna bring them down to the shop so I can just talk to the guy about what I should do. Still want to hear your expertise. Not getting it done by him just want to show him what I am talking about and maybe he can show me too. Now that I started want to feel like I am continuing to move forward.
      Rich (Ringo)
      '79 XS11 Special

Comment

the picture is overwhelming. I want to learn them, so I am going to try to do it myself but looking for guidance.
        Rich (Ringo)
        '79 XS11 Special

Comment

There's a post here by a lovely member named Wildkat, look it up. Everything you want to know about carb cleaning is there.
          Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

They actually aren't that overwhelming. Remember, it's really just ONE carb you're doing.....four times over. Do them one at a time, is my advice and don't split the bank of carbs off the angle iron that holds them together.

Spray penetrating oil on all the screws and leave for a few hours. Then, when it comes to removing them, use the correct screwdriver bit (no electric tools here) and, once you feel the head move slightly, spray more penetrating oil on it and tighten it back up and leave for a while, then, on screws that seem to get harder as you unscrew them, always screw them back in a turn. It clears the crud from the threads. If a screw you're undoing feels like it's getting harder to undo, stop! Tighten, penetrating oil and then carry on.

Always use correct screwdrivers on all components, especially the jets. Don't use the wrong size flat screwdriver on them. Keep firm pressure on anything you're unscrewing, in order to stop the screwdriver from slipping and chewing things up.

Have a well-lit DESK that you can sit at, with the carbs on a towel. Have a small pot into which you can put the various bits you take off.

Take care removing the float pin (which sits in alloy 'legs' in the carb body). Use wire cutters under the flattened end to start getting the pin moving.

If you do one carb at a time, stay methodical, and don't panic, you'll find iut easier than you think
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

thanks guys. Went to the motorcycle shop down the street and he loosened all teh screws with an impact screwdriver, the kind you hit with a hammer. All the screws came out without issue afterwards. (thinking of investing in one of those). I took everything all apart and stuff was stuck. Very gummed up. I will post pics in a few.
              Rich (Ringo)
              '79 XS11 Special

Comment

vise grips

I've never failed to get em out with penetrating oil & vise grips.
                When you get carbs that've been POd & no screwdriver will turn the screws, try vise grips ( not the cheap imitation). Then, get new screws.
                Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

ok, here is where we are at the moment.

everything separated.

gunk in bowl

gunk...

bottom

front

top down of dirtiest carb

back, green gas that was left over too
                  Last edited by RJFort; 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM.
                  Rich (Ringo)
                  '79 XS11 Special

Comment

they were pretty gunked up, so I don't think the pine sol will work on this application. need to continue to disassemble to go dip them.
                    Rich (Ringo)
                    '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Ultra-sonic using PineSol...........might be surprised...........
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

They look pretty nasty for sure.
                        But you have further teardown ahead. Remove and clean:
                        - floats, valves, and seats (be very careful with the float pin)
                        - main jets and emulsion tubes
                        - pilot jets
                        - the two jets on the air intake side on all of them

Now you're ready to clean

Buy yourself four cans of the spray carb cleaner at Walmart, that stuff will really clean the gunk off. Spray it in every circuit (hole) and make sure it comes out somewhere else, typically where it should .

You may want to wear rubber/nitrile gloves and eye protection, that stuff is nasty and burns the skin. I recommend a respirator as well.

Good luck, have fun.
                        1980G Standard, Restored
                        Kerker 4 - 1
                        850 Rear End Mod
                        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                        Automatic CCT
                        1980GH Special, Restored
                        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

yeah I was gonna further take them apart, but I had other stuff to take care of sadly. I was gonna soak them in the pine sol first to try to take some of the smell and some gunk off first. I am working in the basement of a condo. No garage sadly. The GF loves the smell of engines and tools, but it is way strong, lol. I saw an ultra sonic cleaner at harbor freight, you think that would work? work will continue tomorrow after work. Gonna soak them overnight in pine sol i think.

Thanks guys. very helpful.
                          Rich (Ringo)
                          '79 XS11 Special

Comment

oh, forgot to mention. The number 2 carb. The little pin under the float is stuck up. The other three bounce freely. number 2 is gummed up.
                            Rich (Ringo)
                            '79 XS11 Special

Comment

Jets

Just finished round three on mine thanks to all I am good Make sure you get the emulsion tubes out that was my bid mistake Also my pilots were stripped I got the smallest easy out and they came right out and I replaced with new pilots and needle valves Hang in there it gets easier this group will get you through anything
                              82 XJ1100J
                              81 Venturer
                              Newly acquired Aches N Pains collection

Comment

Working...
                              X