Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Out of The Woods, Yet

Hey XSives,
    I got the old gal going, then discovered gas in the crankcase and changed out the oil, but didn't have a filter to replace the one in it that was saturated. Is this a problem in the short term?

Next, as it was running on idle fine for a few minutes after the oil change, it just stopped rather abruptly and wouldn't start. I checked and added more gas and still nothing. After pulling carbs for the 99th time (rechecked all floats 4 times in last 45 days) and pulling out the inline cone feul filters, still nothing. [BTW- am main jetted at 110 outside and 120 in, with 170 air pilot jets out and 185's in-make sense to you?]

Then, I pulled spark plugs and 1 & 4 were sooted up pretty badly (too rich?-see jetting?), but would not even spark when I grounded them. So, I checked coils (primary and secondary-both within spec), checked pickups all the way to black box- still good. By this time battery was pulled down a bunch and I set it up last night on a trickle. I am hoping a full charge will make a difference-but not so sure.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious, "plain as the nose on ma face", or what?

As usual, thanks for the 411, boys.
    RobMan
    '80 SG "Velvet Hammer"

When you checked the pick-ups "all the way back to the black box", did you make sure to give the pick-up wires some pretty good tugging and pulling to check for intermittent broken wires?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Alas, no, Ken, I forgot to give them a good tug that far back, but I checked the coils out pretty well. Soon as I get to the hacienda, will start from the front and tug away!

Just thought just now that I may have some condensate probs, as well, since I haven't heated up the shrink tube (in case I needed to rewire again). I remember that this fall, I pulled them to check for broken wire and when I took off the tubing, the wires were wet!? I am assuming (yes, yes, outta me and you) that this won't be a problem when I apply heat to them, but???

Grats, later.
      RobMan
      '80 SG "Velvet Hammer"

Comment

Change the coils... one fires 1&4, the other one 2&3... change them so the first one fires the middle pots, the second one the outer ones... and recheck spark.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

My 79 xs will do that ever now and again, drove me nuts, then I found out as soon as I knock on the black box, the bike will fire and run fine for a while, I've had to do this about 10 or 12 times, it always worked, I have a new box coming. Later 'Dog

Comment

Hey there Scalded,

Sounds like you've got some bad soldered joints in you CDI, so after you get your replacement, are you going to take a peek inside the old one and check for loose/corroded contacts and solder joints, might find the problem and fix it and then you will have a spare for those rally trips!?!?

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TC, that is the plan, hope to meet you at a rally this year. Later 'Dog

Comment

Regarding your uneven mix of mains and air pilots, I'd be tempted to exchange them with an even combination right across. It'd probably be easier to sync and the motor may run smoother when tuned.

Comment

Working...
                X