side cover repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• side cover repairs

Finally getting around to doing a resto thread on my side covers, I'm concentrating on repairing and restoring those pesky broken and seemingly expensive to replace side covers, these may not be XS1100's(GS1100) but they were in worse condition than the Specials so I thought these would be more suitable due to their deplorable condition. I already started the rough sanding on the first one and popped the broken plastic back in place(always tough without breaking completely) And will grind a grove in and along the crack with my dremel but not all the way through, then proceed to fill it in with the putty, and sand after it cures, followed by very fine sanding. Then I will proceed preparing it with sand-able primer. The second one has actual pieces missing, this will be fun...no really, I'm actually pretty good at making something from nothing, especially when you have nothing, you get good at it. stop here for pics and further progress.

Will also be using some superglue, cardboard for mold backing, gotta wait for that pesky dremel to charge...zzzzzzz
    81 XS1100H

The one thing I would suggest is to 'overlap' the repairs on the back side by at least a 1/2" all around for strength (about 1/8" thick). When I fixed a pair, I had trouble with them re-breaking when flexed until I did that.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah, I had planned on something for backing support, but haven't decided on what yet, I have some very thin sheetmetal I may cut and epoxy in place, still thinking on what I want to use.
      81 XS1100H

Comment

I don't think you need to use any 'other' material, just spread your repair goo out more on the backside. I used the superglue/baking soda mix, and my cracks kept opening up until I 'coated' the whole area around the fix. That did the job...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Fiberglass

I would cut a backing patch about 1/2" + bigger then the hole / crack, to use as a backing. The type that looks like a bunch of fibers, not the kind that looks like cloth. Sand the contact area with 80grit, saturate the cloth with resin mixed with hardner then attach and let cure, finish the front with the fillet, JIMHO
          Originally posted by old_skool View Post
          Yeah, I had planned on something for backing support, but haven't decided on what yet, I have some very thin sheetmetal I may cut and epoxy in place, still thinking on what I want to use.
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

not using any fiberglass
            81 XS1100H

Comment

Jat...

"Then I will proceed preparing it with sand-able primer."

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion_for_plastic/

Hey Old School, the above link is what I used on my XJ750 Mid Max plastic air filter trim. Painted them 2 years ago and they seem to be holding up fine. Krylon Fusion needs no primer and bonds really well. For a smooth finish, paint a coat, let cure, sand with 600 wet or dry and repeat until You're satisfied, as it seems to be a high build product that will sand very well.

Heres a pic of my XJ:

I painted them and slapped them on, but they could use fine sanded with 1000 wet or dry and polished then waxed but I'll get to that when the Eleven is on the road and I can take the XJ apart for a full resto.
              1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
              1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
              1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
              1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
              1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Drill a small hole @ the stopping point of the crack to stop its run. They make a plastic body filler (auto usage) that is very flexible you could try. Back it with something fill the area and sand it down. JAT
                Don
                1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

I put a single layer of thin fiberglass with some epoxy resin on the back of my 'cracked' side cover and I've been using it daily for 2 years now and its still holding on nice and strong. Once the fiberglass was dry I used a soldering iron to melt the crack back together and then filled with several layers of filler primer. I can take some pictures when I get home....
                  1979 xs1100 Special -
                  Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                  Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                  My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                  X