No announcement yet.

No more OEM Fuseblock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know as an electrician I'd have to say i think I've seen that kind of work before on DGXSER's bike, thank God it's not in a house this time.
    Last edited by Rooster; 01-19-2012, 08:07 PM.
    Even a blind monkey gets the odd banana.

1979 XS 1100 special (been down the PO trail and it was messy)

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
      You know as an electrician I'd have to say i think I've seen that kind of work before on DGXSER's bike, thank God it's not in a house this time.
      I tore into a Lincoln LN25 wire feeder today that the customer tried to repair himself.. the feeder took a tumble @ the job sight and broke the wire speed (rheostat) control off. so he went to the "DEPOT" and bought himself a Rheostat to try and jery rig it. I should have taken pictures of it. Unfortunately I've become numb to these things. Nothing much surprises me anymore. It was a mess of black tape and random wires they found laying around. When the speaker wire they tried burnt up they finally brought it in for a "professional" to work on
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
        The fuse box replacement is one of the easiest, cheapest, and rewarding things you can do to these old girls. 10 bucks from TC and half hour of your time will prevent many posts asking why this and that. Trust me it is a worthwhile endeavor.
        rasputin, that's only true if you know WTF you're doing. Some do more harm than good.I'm reminded of the thread that starts out.."I'm no electrician, but I ripped out my whole harness..and now...."
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          rasputin, that's only true if you know WTF you're doing. Some do more harm than good.I'm reminded of the thread that starts out.."I'm no electrician, but I ripped out my whole harness..and now...."
          True enough. I am not always thinking some guys do not have the experience or abilities that I presume they have. That said I will change every bike I work on, or own to have the newer fuseblock simply because I can, and I think it to be one of the best mods yet .
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

drips of gas in the airbox thing

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
            Improvments, now the blinkers blink even at idle, the headlight seems brighter, doesent pop through the exaust now and the nutral light doesnt fliker. Just wish it could stop the dirps of gas in the airbox thing
            I had that problem and noticed when I took down the carbs again that the float valves had over the years had worn a slight divot in the float tang. The float valves were sticking on the divots just enough to allow one or more of the carbs to overflow. I lightly sanded the tangs with a Dremel and the highest number sanding wheel I could find ‘til the divots were gone, keeping the tang surface as flat as possible. Then polished the tangs to a mirror finish just enough to erase any signs of the sanding. That problem salved. Don’t forget to check float adjustments. My back-up plan if I goobered up this project was to solder the thinnest square of brass to the goobered tang. But my first plan worked. The cost of replacement floats had me sweating bullets.
            1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
            Braded stainless brake lines
            4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
            V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
            Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
            Vetter Windjammer III faring
            Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
            James Madison, The Federalists Papers

Comment

Gas

Ya, I checked that and polished them, polished the shafts on the retainer pins, pollished the float mounting towers, then pollished off a 5th of JD

Originally posted by je2wheeler View Post
              I had that problem and noticed when I took down the carbs again that the float valves had over the years had worn a slight divot in the float tang. The float valves were sticking on the divots just enough to allow one or more of the carbs to overflow. I lightly sanded the tangs with a Dremel and the highest number sanding wheel I could find ‘til the divots were gone, keeping the tang surface as flat as possible. Then polished the tangs to a mirror finish just enough to erase any signs of the sanding. That problem salved. Don’t forget to check float adjustments. My back-up plan if I goobered up this project was to solder the thinnest square of brass to the goobered tang. But my first plan worked. The cost of replacement floats had me sweating bullets.
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Shrink wrap

I am going to put the shrink wrap on the term ends, cant hurt and cheap insurance, thanks to all who shamed me into it
                1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
                1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

I got lazy a few years back when I was sick of what my fuse block looked like and replaced them all with individual inline blade fuse connectors. Yours looks a lot cleaner and maybe I will eventually change it to that. What I like is it would be easier to add the accessory stuff that way too. Thanks for the idea.
                  Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I see Parts-N-More no longer lists an OEM replacement fuse box. I went that way with a couple of XS650's because going to the blade box wasn't going to be as straight forward as the XS11. Those new boxes work great too. I just have to be vigilant because in 25 years or so, the fuse holders might fall apart again!

Parts-N-More might still have the box, but I have trouble finding anything on their site.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Working...
                    X