No more OEM Fuseblock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM,

Why do you keep giving me ideas of stuff to do... My fuse block works fine but a Fella can always make things that work... better or F them up tryin
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Hey Dragon, that OEM fuse block is one of those known defects if you will with these bikes. It has been the torment of many a owner chasing electrical gremlins for months at a time.

With TC selling the nice replacment unit he has along with the stab on connectors with 90deg ends, it makes replacement not only economical, but very simple as well. Hardest part is that the holes do not 100% line up and I end up slotting them out a bit with a dremel to make them fit.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        If it helps you feel any better, here is what I got for a "Fuse box" when I bought Banshee...
        Note the lack of any connector or cover.

Bah-ha-ha! Now THAT was a cryin' shame! What a funny wiring modification.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          Hey Dragon, that OEM fuse block is one of those known defects if you will with these bikes. It has been the torment of many a owner chasing electrical gremlins for months at a time.

With TC selling the nice replacment unit he has along with the stab on connectors with 90deg ends, it makes replacement not only economical, but very simple as well. Hardest part is that the holes do not 100% line up and I end up slotting them out a bit with a dremel to make them fit.
          Only "Electrical Gremlin" I've got is battery run off when sitting. Fixed it with a battery tender
          One of these days I'll get around to putting in a new fuse block. About the same time I wire the CB and Stereo to a keyed power source
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

The fuse box replacement is one of the easiest, cheapest, and rewarding things you can do to these old girls. 10 bucks from TC and half hour of your time will prevent many posts asking why this and that. Trust me it is a worthwhile endeavor.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Tender

I use a tender, you can see the cord in my pic's. As to your CB, the headlight has a postive "on" just laying in there in my bike that is hot when the key is on. Going to use it for my GPS soon
              Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
              Only "Electrical Gremlin" I've got is battery run off when sitting. Fixed it with a battery tender
              One of these days I'll get around to putting in a new fuse block. About the same time I wire the CB and Stereo to a keyed power source
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin View Post
                The fuse box replacement is one of the easiest, cheapest, and rewarding things you can do to these old girls. 10 bucks from TC and half hour of your time will prevent many posts asking why this and that. Trust me it is a worthwhile endeavor.
                I'll have to add it to the list... Thanks for the heads up. I'll hit up T.C.
                All the parts I've ordered are finally all showing up so I'll be digging in to the bike here soon. Got my R1 to do plugs in before spring also. Some where in the process I gotta help my buddy get his Goldwing ready for spring too. not sure how I ended up with his GL1100 in my garage... there was beer involved so the details are fuzzy
                Don

old:
                1989 kawi ex500
                1996 yzf-r6
                1999 yzf-r1
                2001 kawi zx-6r
                2000 Ducati 748
                2002 YZF-R1
                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Beer

Beer has made my do some crazy things, at least that is what my friends tell me

I'll have to add it to the list... Thanks for the heads up. I'll hit up T.C.
                  All the parts I've ordered are finally all showing up so I'll be digging in to the bike here soon. Got my R1 to do plugs in before spring also. Some where in the process I gotta help my buddy get his Goldwing ready for spring too. not sure how I ended up with his GL1100 in my garage... there was beer involved so the details are fuzzy
                  1980 XS1100 Special
                  1990 V Max
                  1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                  1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                  1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                    I use a tender, you can see the cord in my pic's. As to your CB, the headlight has a postive "on" just laying in there in my bike that is hot when the key is on. Going to use it for my GPS soon
                    ya I'm gonna plug a power port in for my GPS too... Guess I need to make junction block to plug all my Keyed power needs into. Great another idea
                    Don

old:
                    1989 kawi ex500
                    1996 yzf-r6
                    1999 yzf-r1
                    2001 kawi zx-6r
                    2000 Ducati 748
                    2002 YZF-R1
                    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                      Lets say you did, they are ALL postive 12v wires If they dont make grond (and like I said, they are all way far from contacting any ground contact, if fact, you would have to break one off to make ground) So, I am guessing I am OK
                      Hi OEM,
                      Let Mr. Careless poke his screwdriver in there to touch any live terminal and the metal plate the fusebox bolts to and POP there goes another fuse.
                      If you are lucky.
                      Connect the 30Amp fuse feed wire to ground and you have re-invented the arc-welder.
                      Shove some shrink-sleeve on 'em, eh?
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Panties

Now, dont get your panties in a bunch
                        http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/a...ss/XSwoman.jpg
                        Some one pushes his screw shaft into a box I own, well, look back at my post about my cage fighting days

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                        Hi OEM,
                        Let Mr. Careless poke his screwdriver in there to touch any live terminal and the metal plate the fusebox bolts to and POP there goes another fuse.
                        If you are lucky.
                        Connect the 30Amp fuse feed wire to ground and you have re-invented the arc-welder.
                        Shove some shrink-sleeve on 'em, eh?
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          I was just thinking of eliminating the possibility of one shorting against something.

Probably won't be a problem but bare connectors like that make me nervous.
                          The open tabs don't matter in the least. This fuse block is an individual block, which simply means that each and every fuse in independent and requires two wire connections to work. The more common automotive blocks are, well, common blocks. That means that power comes in on a common power feed that feeds every fuse. Then, only one wire is required to deliver power to the circuit as all the fuses are powered by the common power wire.

With no connections to the individual, unused fuses, those bare terminals really can't do anything unless you have a bare power and ground line right next to each other where the terminal can short them out.
                          -- Clint
                          1979 XS1100F - bought for $500 in 1989

Comment

Originally posted by clcorbin View Post
                            The open tabs don't matter in the least. This fuse block is an individual block, which simply means that each and every fuse in independent and requires two wire connections to work. The more common automotive blocks are, well, common blocks. That means that power comes in on a common power feed that feeds every fuse. Then, only one wire is required to deliver power to the circuit as all the fuses are powered by the common power wire.

With no connections to the individual, unused fuses, those bare terminals really can't do anything unless you have a bare power and ground line right next to each other where the terminal can short them out.
                            +1 YES.. power + power = power. you can have 2 positives touch and nothing will happen... hell you can wire them all to 1 fuse if you'd like.
                            You should see the junction block on my jeep with about 4 positives coming off of it
                            its power touching ground that's a no no. power + ground = welding untill the fire starts
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

+1 YES.. power + power = power. you can have 2 positives touch and nothing will happen... hell you can wire them all to 1 fuse if you'd like.
                              You should see the junction block on my jeep with about 4 positives coming off of it
                              its power touching ground that's a no no. power + ground = welding untill the fire starts
                              Yup, and it's surrounded with places to ground. The frame, the fuse box bracket, even the occaisionally dropped hairpin could cause disaster with those connectors naked to the world.

Just sayin'
                              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                                Yup, and it's surrounded with places to ground. The frame, the fuse box bracket, even the occaisionally dropped hairpin could cause disaster with those connectors naked to the world.

Just sayin'
                                very good point...
                                Don

old:
                                1989 kawi ex500
                                1996 yzf-r6
                                1999 yzf-r1
                                2001 kawi zx-6r
                                2000 Ducati 748
                                2002 YZF-R1
                                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X