finding parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding parts

i might finally be able to get back into this after a ****ty year. so i am on the hunt for parts now. the main ones i am looking for is the electrical. i do not trust the harnass and came with the bike and am just going to start over. where is the best place to go? also i need a seat. i do not care if it is ripped or anything as i am going to most likely recover it. any suggestions for the seattle area ? or on-line ?
    81 XS 1100 H

Hey DD,

First thing you need to do to help us is specify which model you have, and if your looking for stock or if your modding the bike. Each year and model had some changes to it, some of which changed the wiring harness. The seat is one of the least interchangable parts, so it is critical to ensure your getting the pan for the year and model of your bike.

For future post, it can be very helpful to dit your signature line to include the model and year of your XS1100, then folks won't have to ask when it is important.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

ooooops

i am sorry i ment to type that in but i forgot i have an 81 XS1100H that came to be as a basket case and sat behind a guys garage since '93.
      Last edited by devildork; 01-12-2012, 01:12 PM.
      81 XS 1100 H

Comment

ok well in that case, I have a wiring harness from an SH, which should be relatively if not completely the same. Never owned a Standard so I am not certain of it. The primary things I can think of being different are the turns signals if they are still running lights int hat year, but I think there is a wire on the harness to feed those.

As to the seat, I believe the Venturer (an 81 H model) is a one off.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

how much would the wiring harnass run?
          well that is not a good thing on the seat. hopefully i can find one if not i guess will have to fab something up. thanks for the info.
          81 XS 1100 H

Comment

One thing you need to verify is if all of the bike is a '81 (seeing how basket cases can sometimes be a 'mix' of 'stuff' ). Specifically, if you have a '81 ignition setup on the motor as that's a one-year-only piece with little interchange of parts.

As far as a wiring harness, unless yours is really hacked up, you'll be just as well off to repair yours or replace with a decent used one. Building one from scratch will cost a small fortune...

If you're willing to make a 2-hour drive south to Yelm with your harness, I'd be happy to help you check it and maybe even repair any problems. I'll send you a PM with contact info...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

well i was TOLD that it was all the same year. i guess i am nto 100% sure. the story is that friend of mines ex father in law bought it years ago but dropped in in '93. got parts to put it back together and never did. freind thought would be fun to play with took it all apart got bored and gave it to me to actually to scrap. i just could not scrap it so now it is my turn to play.

I will look at see how bad really the harnass is.

where does one check that the engine truly is an '81?
              81 XS 1100 H

Comment

Serial number should start---4R1-
                Canadian ----4T1-
                Right side of the engine crank case. Right there close to the oil fill.
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

there is a 4R1, guess that means it is the 81 engine. cool thanks.
                  81 XS 1100 H

Comment

Hey DD,
                    Welcome to the forum.
                    As far as getting the best deal on parts, and you being in WA, I have two golden words for you....... Andreas Weis. He's in WA and the best person I've found to deal with for replacement parts.
                    Look him up in the parts for sale section.
                    Good luck.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                    X