No announcement yet.

Steering Head Bearing Races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced them on the Venturer this past weekend. Ended up using the dremel to cut into the lower neck race on an angle at that notch in the neck so as not to cut into the neck itself. Once almost through, I used a cold chisel in the void with a swat and the race fractured along the cut. I was then able to easily push it out. I re-used the old race(reversed) to drive in/on the new races. Same process for the lower triple tree inner race.
    Richard

Comment

It has been a couple years since I did mine. It was the most frustrating thing I did on that bike. I tried several sizes of punches, punches with the tip ground to an angle, and several over things.

What I finally had to do is use a dremel to make a larger notch the steering head on either side of the race (so I could wiggle it back and forth to get it out), bent a punch, and put a socket with an extension over the punch to get even more length. This took a couple nights of work and it was so bad that I was even having dreams of trying to get the races out.

I get frustrated even when I think back on that project. Good luck!
      1980 XS1100 Standard "Touring"
      Fairing, Trunk, and Bags
      850 FD
      Fork Brace
      Progressive Front Springs
      Engine Guards w/Foot Pegs
      Oil Cooler
      Throttle Lock
      Uni Air Filter in Airbox

2009 Suzuki Bandit 1250S ABS

Comment

When I did Mine

Looking for the right hammer in BDF tool box.

BDF already has one end out with the Dremel

So I have seen it done

Phil
        Last edited by MaximPhil; 01-11-2012, 11:04 PM.
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I made a tool to get in there and knock the race out, something that fit in the recess perfectly. It didn't work. So, I went ahead and replaced the main wiring harness.

I guess I need to go pick up a Dremel tool.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

OK. I finished replacing the main wire harness and sourced a Dremel from my local Ace Hardware. Even with that miniature cutoff wheel it was a PITA. It came out, but not before I cut all the way through it in two places. I cut deeper recesses in the neck in case there's a next time.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

That's good thinking. As long as the head bearing torque is good, the bike should handle sweeet now, you'll notice.
              Last edited by bikerphil; 01-14-2012, 09:50 PM. Reason: clarify
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
                When I did Mine

Looking for the right hammer in BDF tool box.

Phil
                Phil, I have never seen so many ball-peen hammers in one place, except at a store! Nicely arranged I might add. :-)
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Phil, I have never seen so many ball-peen hammers in one place, except at a store! Nicely arranged I might add. :-)
                  Which is why I took the picture. BDF has a wonderful collection of tools and knowledge of rebuilding XS1100 which is how Addie was turned from what looked like a bike into a running useable bike. not to forget tinman905 who spent countless hours too. Many others contributed parts and advice.
                  Phil
                  1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                  1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                  2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I must have done something wrong, or just lucky!!

I just took the front steering mechanism off my '79 XS1100, and this is what I was the result. Both bearings just fell out!!! You can see at photos 068 and 070 at http://jimphoto.freeprohost.com/Yamaha. I will clean and re-pack the bearings when I put is all back together!!! Jim P.S. It says in the book to use a wood dowel and a hammer to loosen the bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      I'm not quite sure what I need here.

Z1 page 3

It's on the 3rd (last) page.
                      Hi Marty,
                      both of those bearing kits say they will fit all XS11s. AB22-1024 (All Balls?) has both bearing seals while KL31-2218 (a Kawi part#?) has only one seal plus the kit is ~$10 more.
                      You pays your money and you takes your choice.
                      BTW, while it's apart tap the frame tube for a grease nipple so the races can be re-lubed now and then without a tear down. You can shove a sleeve of foam water-pipe insulation down there so it don't take a whole tube of grease to fill the cavity. I shoulda thought of the sleeve before I put tapered rollers in my XS650 rather than after I pumped my grease gun empty while packing them.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

You can shove a sleeve of foam water-pipe insulation down there so it don't take a whole tube of grease to fill the cavity.
                        Great idea! I'm glad you thought of that.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

I had this idea- what if one bought an aerosol can of compressed air (for blowing the dust off your computer.) Install the straw, hold it upside down and spray the race. When upside down it sprays liquid nitrogen for an instant freeze effect. It may shrink the race enough to where you can smack it out with a drift or beefy screwdriver. There is another product sold at industrial supply stores that are specifically for freezing rusted nuts.

http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05002-Free.../dp/B000TFTH00

Comment

The mothership didn't leave me any place to get on the race and knock it out. The recesses in the neck were much too small.
                            Marty (in Mississippi)
                            XS1100SG
                            XS650SK
                            XS650SH
                            XS650G
                            XS6502F
                            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                              ...BTW, while it's apart tap the frame tube for a grease nipple so the races can be re-lubed now and then without a tear down..
                              Only do that if you don't mind cleaning seeping grease off the bike on a very regular basis... Some Harley's have that 'feature', and few owners use it...
                              Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                              '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                              '82 XJ rebuild project
                              '80SG restified, red SOLD
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                              '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                              Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                              Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                                Only do that if you don't mind cleaning seeping grease off the bike on a very regular basis... Some Harley's have that 'feature', and few owners use it...
                                Hi Steve,
                                gonna crank on like an old fart because I am one.
                                I remember when bikes had grease nipples everywhere.
                                Head races, girder fork pivots, footbrake pedals, seat pivot points, indeed, anything that moved and the stock tool kit always had a grease gun in it.
                                My 16H Norton even had a grease nipple for the exhaust valve guide.
                                (grease every long ride & before steep hills.)
                                Yes, if you go mad with a modern high-pressure grease gun it's gonna seep out, that's what shop rags are for.
                                Fred Hill, S'toon
                                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                                X