Valve adjustment strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adjustment strategy

I just put a feeler gauge to my valve train. For the first time, it failed. I have one intake, and two exhaust valves that are too tight. I don't have a tool to remove the shims and I don't have any shims. The remaining intake valves are right at .004", and the exhaust are right at .008".

Any suggestions on the most expediant way to handle this? The front end is off, so loading it on a trailer is not an option. I'm home for ten consecutive days a month. The closest Yamaha dealer is 25 miles away. I would hate for a simple valve adjustment to last three months.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Without the tool, the way I would do this is to remove the cams.
    Record all your measurements, pull the cams out, pull each shim and record what numbers they are. (unless you already know what they are)
    You may be able to re-use some of them in the other lifters.
    Use the table/formula in the manual to figure out which ones you need and then post on the site and someone might have them.
    Your longest time will be waiting for the mail to get the replacements in.
    (or you can go down to the dealer next time you're in town and get them) (they may swap them out with your old ones, call them)

Pulling the cams is (at worst) a 1/2 day job.
    I've done it in a few hours. (just make sure you got a bungee on that chain!)
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Tools

I use this tool
      http://www.sportsmancyclesales.com/v.../TR-150464.htm
      Some don't like (cuz they don't know how to use it) but it works fine for me, 11 bucks There is a shim exchang link on here, so you might be able to swap out for what you need. i would stay to the tight side on the exaust at .021mm to keep the noise down

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
      I just put a feeler gauge to my valve train. For the first time, it failed. I have one intake, and two exhaust valves that are too tight. I don't have a tool to remove the shims and I don't have any shims. The remaining intake valves are right at .004", and the exhaust are right at .008".

Any suggestions on the most expediant way to handle this? The front end is off, so loading it on a trailer is not an option. I'm home for ten consecutive days a month. The closest Yamaha dealer is 25 miles away. I would hate for a simple valve adjustment to last three months.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Marty,

When I check valves and replace shims these days, I start day one with taking mesurements like you have. Then, with the bike on centerstand and the timing mark on C I remove the cam chain tenssioner, and loosen/remove the cap nuts form one cam. With the cam loose you can use a screwdriver on the unmachined shaft of the cam to pry it up as needed to remove the shims that need changing. I then keep out the shims I need to change, and record what I need to replace it with. Reinstall cam cap nuts, and repeat on opposite cam. Both can be completed in about two hours time.

Now find a place to exchange shims/ purchase shims if you did not already do this. Get what you need, and then repeat that same process to install the new shims. I do carefully adjust the slack of the cam chain back to the front of the engine before re-installing the cam chain tensioner. To date, it has never slipped a tooth on the crank or a cam.

Thsi process, you should easily be able to do what you need to do in a couple evenings time. Of course, locating the shims may take longer if you do not have a source lines up.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

After checking and rechecking, only the #4 exhaust valve is suspect. I won't pull the cams for that. I can push the .008 in. feeler gauge under the cam, so perhaps my best course of action is to buy the tool now and ride for another season. All of my valves are on the tight side of OK. I'll take that as a positive sign.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Valve seats

The valve seats and shims are made out of the same mat. but the seats wear much faster then the shims, thus the tight fit at the cam. If you are in spec and / or very close to spec on all the valves, "RIDE" and ejoy the quiter motor a few thousand miles down the road, shim them and enjoy a singer sewing mach sounding motor good luck with your bike

After checking and rechecking, only the #4 exhaust valve is suspect. I won't pull the cams for that. I can push the .008 in. feeler gauge under the cam, so perhaps my best course of action is to buy the tool now and ride for another season. All of my valves are on the tight side of OK. I'll take that as a positive sign.
            1980 XS1100 Special
            1990 V Max
            1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
            1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
            1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Don,

I have a couple of shim sources. None are close. But I can go get them in a half day.

The last time this was done, I dropped the bike at the shop and let him do it. No adjustments were made. The trouble is, I don't know what the measurements were. As far as I know, this bike has never been reshimmed. I got it with 10K miles on it. It has over 50K now. All of the intakes are .004 in. and the exhaust are all .008 in. I might be a little too fussy.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Shims?

I thought you said all are in spec or very close to spec If they are all in spec or within 5% of spec, i would just RIDE, if not, and you gat a cheap place to get shims (30 bucks each some places), set em all while you go her apart

Don,

I have a couple of shim sources. None are close. But I can go get them in a half day.

The last time this was done, I dropped the bike at the shop and let him do it. No adjustments were made. The trouble is, I don't know what the measurements were. As far as I know, this bike has never been reshimmed. I got it with 10K miles on it. It has over 50K now. All of the intakes are .004 in. and the exhaust are all .008 in. I might be a little too fussy.
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Hey Marty,

Not sure how many other valve shim threads you've read, but one of the points that are made is that the clearances tend to get tighter as the engine wears due to the hammering of the valve seats into the head. The 650's tend to wear looser. So...being on the tight side of spec is fine, but you'll not want to rest on your laurels for too long. You'll want to check them again at the end of the next season so you can catch any that gets too tight before it burns a valve! The tighter spec is supposed to provide the best performance due to more effective valve lift, valve open time, etc.!

But shimming them to the looser spec can allow longer time between subsequent shimmings...YMMV. After my initial breakin service for my bike which was done by the shop after I got it back home from Japan, I then rode it for some 9 years and don't recall EVER checking the valve clearances!! This was of course in my earlier ignorant youth....20-30 years ago! I don't know what specs they were set to, but when I did my big bore kit, all I had to do was lap the valves/seats and of course reshim, but had the engine apart when doing that, so I didn't have/use the special tool either!

I used the special tool (on loan from the shim library) last year to check a fellow Xsive's shim values, worked just fine!!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
                    ....Use the table/formula in the manual to figure out which ones you need.....
                    Forget that table.... all you need to remember is each change in shim size is .002", so for example if a valve measures .004" (and you want .006") and you can't get a .005" in there, go down one shim size. Simple!
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yep. I'm in good shape....for now. I will be prepared to replace shims next winter.
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Here Ya Go...

...and from a reputable seller also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XJ650-XJ750-...item2c6220e480
                        1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
                        1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
                        1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
                        1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
                        1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

Thanx Schming! I'll get one from somebody the next time I order parts. I'm going to pass a Yamaha dealer later in the week, so I'll drop in and see if they have it. It appears the list price is about $12-13. It's something that needs to be in my tool box.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

Marty, when you get around to ordering your shims, if you can't get them on here, try this guy. He got me my shims in about 5 days and I needed 7 out of 8.

http://www.newmotorcycleparts.com/mo...lve_shims.html
                            Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

Shims

I bought this kit a while back and am happy with it, a little over kill if you just want what you need, but I work outside (no garage anymore) so I wanted to open it up, shim it and close it back up in one day. It got all valves in spec and I have a good mix for the next time
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/29mm-Valve-S...sories&vxp=mtr
                              1980 XS1100 Special
                              1990 V Max
                              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                              X