No announcement yet.

simple question on small oil seepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, checking valves every 10K is overkill, more like 30K+ for me. Yep, but 10K would work. To set it, put crank on C mark, loosen lock nut, tighten the center bolt until snug, tighten the lock nut. Gotta get a feel for it the first time when you have your valve cover off and can check the slack.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

cool man.. ya this old dogs only got just shy of 47k on her. I'm gonna run the valves here this winter. I have NO idea the last time they were done. I figure its time to pull the cover off and play with the feeler gauges... along with many other small projects. Gotta keep it on the road. and running good..
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

It takes about 5 minutes to adjust the chain if you know what tools to grab out of the box.//// True enough Dragon, but it won't stay and the proof I have already shown. FWIW, adjustment should be done every couple thousand....BTDT, too many times over 30yrs. for me. The adjuster worked good.........30yrs. ago......think U see where this is headed. The bolt idea will work, as long as you have a feel for tightness.......IMO, too easy to put too much load on the aluminum guide plate. Only takes once and I personnally don't care to 'chuck' a motor verses a $25 self adjuster even if it cost me $50. BTW, new self adjusters for an XV motor is $195.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ya I'm following you... I offed my ducati superbike for my r1 for 1 simple reason... Maintenance! It's not fun to change timing belts and adjust desmo valves every 2 years. I'm all about easy maintenance. I've been watching ebay for auto adjusters. Anyone one got a list of bikes that interchange?
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
          X