simple question on small oil seepage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple question on small oil seepage

So "old man" seems to seep a very small amount of oil... it collects ontop of the case behind the head... checking the torque on the head nuts is on my list of stuff to do (as lord only knows when they were last checked). I'm hoping this will make it go away. Any Thoughts?

Can insert picture of area if needed

Thanks guys
    Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Motor case/

Are you talking the motor case behind the head, or Cyl case If on the motor case, is your PCV hose hooked up and clear to the air box?
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Talking right here buddy. Where the head and case come together under the carbs. its not a big leak but after a long hot ride you can find some oil out on the top of the side cases
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Maybe oil pipe Seepage? only thing in that area is the lower cyl gasket and oil pipe
        Don

old:
        1989 kawi ex500
        1996 yzf-r6
        1999 yzf-r1
        2001 kawi zx-6r
        2000 Ducati 748
        2002 YZF-R1
        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

heres a better pic from the other side... I cleaned the crap off it but you can see what i'm talking about. its not much. 100 mile ride it might seep a teaspoon. just enough to piss a guy off

Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

It could be blowing thru from the front of the engine from the CCT or leaking from the valve cover gasket.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It looks to me as if it's coming from the clinder base gasket, right where the cam chanin galley is, if I'm reading your pictue correctly. If it were me, I wouldn't bother with it till it's time for some more upper end work where it would pay to lift the head and the cylinder, maybe the next time you plan on doing a valve clearance job, especially if you plan on removing the cam. That way, you would be replacing a lot of gaskets and no matter were it's coming from you should be able to eliminate it.
              Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

This is pretty common issue, and as Phil stated, it tends to end up being either the valve cover gasket or blow through from the Cam Chain Tensioner leaking. Since it sounds liek your going through all the maintenance that the machine needs, one of those items should be checking and re-shimming the valves. That will require removing the valve cover, and maybe even pulling the cam chain tensioner. This will give you a great opportunity to address both of those items.

The other thing that is right there of course is your oil pressure sensor. It could be lekaing a little, but that is not very common.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                  It could be blowing thru from the front of the engine from the CCT or leaking from the valve cover gasket.
                  +1 on what Phil said. That looks exactly like what I cleaned off my '79 motor, and it was from the CCT in the front. There's passages F-to-R in the cylinders right there and if the CCT leaks, that's where the oil ends up...
                  Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                  '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                  '82 XJ rebuild project
                  '80SG restified, red SOLD
                  '79F parts...
                  '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                  '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                  '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                  '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                  Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                  Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The fins look clean and dry above the oil stain so it is likely the base gasket or perhaps the oil pressure switch. Clean it off real good and run the engine. If it's the oil pressure switch you may see oil flow out from that area. Or pull the rubber boot off the pressure switch and check for oil in the boot. If it's at the base gasket you can torque the head until the cows come home and not stop the leak.
                    Rob
                    KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
                    1978 XS500E
                    1979 XS1100F Restored
                    1980 XS1100 SG
                    1981 Suzuki GS1100
                    1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
                    1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

+1 nearly always the problem.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

come to think of it Phil, My CCT leaks a little... so thats probably it. only seems to show up on back of engine after a ride. so thats probably my problem. its too dry top of cylinder to valve cover gasket. regardless I'll be checking the valves here in a week or 2 so if there is any weep coming from there it will be fixed.

How much of a pain in the ass is it to remove the CCT and seal it back up. I'm gonna assume theres no gasket produced for it so I'll have to make my own.
                        Don

old:
                        1989 kawi ex500
                        1996 yzf-r6
                        1999 yzf-r1
                        2001 kawi zx-6r
                        2000 Ducati 748
                        2002 YZF-R1
                        2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

A valve cover gasket can be leaking and it'll drain down from the drain holes in the head and still look dry on top. Just sayin'.

CCT is fairly easy to seal. Just some 3Bond will do it. Be sure and line up the "C" on your timing wheel under the left engine cover when you do it though so you don't screw the cam timing.
                          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                            A valve cover gasket can be leaking and it'll drain down from the drain holes in the head and still look dry on top. Just sayin'.

CCT is fairly easy to seal. Just some 3Bond will do it. Be sure and line up the "C" on your timing wheel under the left engine cover when you do it though so you don't screw the cam timing.
                            Thanks BA... I was assuming if I followed the procedures of adjusting the CCT i can then back the adjustment screw out to remove the tension and then remove the unit. Just read up on it sounds like its a very common problem.
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Just pulled out the good old service manual....

pulling and restabbing the tensioner is pretty straight forward.

Removal:

rotate engine untill timing pointer lines up with the "c" on the timing plate. Remove the 2 allen bolts that hold the tensioner in place... carefully remove the tensioner.

Installation:

loosen the CCT holding bolt, compress the tensioner and tighten the bolt to lock tensioner in the retracted position.

push in on chain with finger thru tensioner hole to insure chain is poroperly seated. install CCT with a new gasket tighten the 2 mounting bolts to 7.5 ft-lbs (10Nm)

Loosen the holding bolt on the CCT, there should be an audible click as the tensioner is released and comes in contact with the chain. Make sure it does move into the chain; if not, remove it and correct the timing. tighten the holding bolt to 4.3 ft-lbs (6 Nm) and the locknut to 6.5 ft-lbs (9 Nm)

Now with that said I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you do this with the valve cover off so you can verify that the chain is on track and tensioner has put pressure on it.
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                              X