No announcement yet.

Looking for some someone in Portland Metro to fix my 2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before you hand your bike over to a shop, ask them how they'll do it. The 'dremal' fix isn't in the manual , most will have never heard of it and want to pull the motor and split the cases. So you have to think about if you want to pay these guys to learn how to do this... or spend even bigger bucks if they do the 'official' method...
    Last edited by crazy steve; 01-03-2012, 01:26 AM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

or spend even bigger bucks if they do the 'official' method...
      I went to a shop with mine. This guy has XS11 parts readily available. He's familiar with the bike and even owns an XJ11. To have him do it, the engine was getting pulled, the cases split, and new gears installed. Even with his low rates, it was going to cost. When I told him about doing it through the pan, he looked me in the eye and wished me luck. I don't think you'll find a shop willing to put a grinder on your dogs and slots, unless he's one of those shops in his mother-in-law's basement. But, then again...YMMV.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

I just did this repair to my bike this weekend. I think this is the fifth time through this repair for me on various bikes. I do HIGHLY recommend the washer swap. This was the 2nd time for 2nd gear on this bike, and I noticed I had not swapped the washer. On my first XS11 I did the swap and put many miles on it with out any 2nd gear issues, and anyone who has ridden with me knows I am not afraid to rip through the gears at high revs from time to time.

TCs instructions are really good. The part that is vaugue is how to remove the countershaft and how to get it back in. Getting them out will not take to much effort, just wiggle, shake and pull and they seem to just fall out. The reason it is vaugue is because there is no magic formula, every time I have done this I have struggled with getting the gears back in.

I have found two things that need attention as you go to put them in. First is that 2nd gear has to go up into the engine first and must stay inside the outer most gear on the main shaft. Second is that the middle driven gear (first one on the end where the shaft gets bolted in) and first gear have to slide all the way out on the countershaft, and that the middle driven gear has an outer "hub" to it that slides into a depression in the case on that side. It is getting that gear hub over the raised edge of the case and into its depression there that is the key to getting the shaft to go into the case. This is where turning the rear wheel and even light tap with a rubber mallet on that middle driven gear can come into play.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by tweeleft View Post
          There is a Guy in NW Portland who is a xs guru but I have to contact my buddy to get the shops name. I'll try tomorrow. My buddy may be able to do it too. He's in Portland, he has 5/6 1100 s.
          That would be awesome.... thanks for the help
          Don
          1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            I went to a shop with mine. This guy has XS11 parts readily available. He's familiar with the bike and even owns an XJ11. To have him do it, the engine was getting pulled, the cases split, and new gears installed. Even with his low rates, it was going to cost. When I told him about doing it through the pan, he looked me in the eye and wished me luck. I don't think you'll find a shop willing to put a grinder on your dogs and slots, unless he's one of those shops in his mother-in-law's basement. But, then again...YMMV.
            I use to repair and port automotive cyl heads for a living.... I'm pretty handy with a die grinders. its the pull and placing the shaft thats gonna boggle me I feel. The first time I stabbed it in 2nd and it skipped all I could think of was "well we're pulling a motor!" I'll do some talkin with a couple mom and pop shops I know and go from there
            Don
            1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
            1989 kawi ex500
            1996 yzf-r6
            1999 yzf-r1
            2001 kawi zx-6r
            2000 Ducati 748
            2002 YZF-R1
            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              ddragon,

I am a procrastinator. I put off fixing mine as long as I could. I chose to buy new gears, and I kept them sitting on the shelf for months. Don't do this job until you can get in the proper state of mind. It might be fun. I had my bike upside down for two or three months and I still managed to get it back together without issue.

I don't know your mechanical inclination, but most of this is pretty straight forward. TC's posted instructions are very good. Your luggage rack won't be an issue. Remove the trunk first. The rack comes off my Special with four bolts. Yours should be similar. Take your time and do it right. It's a labor of love. Strip the bike of lights, mirrors, etc., so none of it gets damaged.

The only real tricky part to this operation is the remove and install of the countershaft. Mine came out somehow, but putting it in was another story. I'll bet I walked away from it five times in disgust, and I are a mekanik! If I had another one to do, I could do it in a minute. It just wasn't designed to come out through the pan, but it will, and it will go back.

I recommend "the washer move" while you're in there. Instructions are on here someplace.

Soon, you'll be riding along again, enjoying the happy memories of riding with your dad!
              Mechanically sound. But like previous stated I'm hesitant to rip apart something with such hi sentimental value. I think I'm more worried about scratching the paint when I flip this thing than anything. If this was my R1 I'd flip it upside down and not think twice about it... that bike can be replaced with more money thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will keep you posted as the project draws near.

I've got other stuff to do to this old girl this winter too. Need to get her ready to take the wife on a 800 mile trip thru central Washington and a 1000 miler thru central Oregon.
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by ddragon63 View Post
                I'm hesitant to rip apart something with such hi sentimental value. I think I'm more worried about scratching the paint when I flip this thing than anything.
                You don't have to flip your bike over. Raise it up a bit and put jack stands under the aluminum passenger footpeg brackets. This will get it plenty high enough to crawl under and do the repair and the centerstand won't be in the way. That's how I fix mine when needed. +1 on the washer swap mod, worth doing. There is nothing in that engine that if broken can't be fixed. Good luck!
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                  Sorry to hear about your Dad, I mean that. Nice you have memories with your Dad and ridding on the XS His, your bike won't be harmed with the fix. All members will walk you through it and if you got a local member to help, even better If it is slipping, will need fixed. Although, you can ride by skipping the 2nd gear with no bad results except preformance. Hope someone local can help you with the fix. It is nice you honer your Dad in his bike, best of luck and God Speed, with you and your Dads bike
                  I've been riding it the last couple years with this problem... I've just learned to not ride it like its my r1. Question: since 2 is attached to 5th what are the chances of 5th starting to have this problem if i continue to ride it with this problem?
                  Don

old:
                  1989 kawi ex500
                  1996 yzf-r6
                  1999 yzf-r1
                  2001 kawi zx-6r
                  2000 Ducati 748
                  2002 YZF-R1
                  2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Gary Black, Metric Cycle is the guy in NW Portland. He's in the phone book. I got some valve shims from him one time. Nice guy. He has a mint XS11E with 100K+ on it. Looks show room fresh. Geezer recommends him.
                    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Thanks pop... I'll look him up. I'm probably gonna need some shims. Is rather buy from a guy like him than a big dealership like pro caliber.
                      Don

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Not necessary to flip scoot in order to drop that lower tranny shaft out.......Mine being a factory dresser(Venture1100) was done on centerstand using a short piece of 6x6 and blocking front tire after lifting up and placing block under centerstand......the extra height giving more "working" room. Plus the fact that gravity was my friend pertaining to the "pre" install of two of the three shift forks that need placed above out of way in approx. position prior to shaft/gear assembly. Gravity allowed them to drop perfectly in place once shaft/gear assembly was back in place. I used to short(12") pieces of 6x6, one under each centerstand leg facing same direction as scoot so they would not "rock" over like possible if perpendicularly located. Using this method, the bike can be rocked back till rear wheel touches giving even more working room, but blocking front of front wheel is necessary to keep from rocking forward off centerstand........worked very well for me........JAT.
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I live across the bridge, but unfortunately i have not had the 2nd gear problem yet. If i did, i would not have a choice but to do it myself. Not to much worries me about tearing things apart though. If there is a Guru in Portland, i don't think he is on the forum, or maybe he just doesn't know about us.
                          1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                          1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                          A quick death and an easy one.
                          A pretty girl and an honest one.
                          A cold beer and another one!

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100 Newbie View Post
                            I live across the bridge, but unfortunately i have not had the 2nd gear problem yet. If i did, i would not have a choice but to do it myself. Not to much worries me about tearing things apart though. If there is a Guru in Portland, i don't think he is on the forum, or maybe he just doesn't know about us.
                            Newbie I'm not too far from ya. I live in ridgefield. Ya I don't know of any gurus in the metro area. I've come across a lot of people with some knowledge. A family friend worked @ the old Vancouver yamaha. He's actually the one who assembled this bike for my dad. He's long since retired and move to Arizona.
                            Don

old:
                            1989 kawi ex500
                            1996 yzf-r6
                            1999 yzf-r1
                            2001 kawi zx-6r
                            2000 Ducati 748
                            2002 YZF-R1
                            2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Motoman.... Thanks for the info. I was sizing it up this morning. Almost thinking if I do it grabbing the frame up front with a strap and a chain hoist and yarding the front end vertically. Then all is have to do is pull the wind jammer. From the pics I've seen inside the tranny it would be pretty easy to work on from that position. And with the rear tire still onthe ground it won't move around.
                              Don

old:
                              1989 kawi ex500
                              1996 yzf-r6
                              1999 yzf-r1
                              2001 kawi zx-6r
                              2000 Ducati 748
                              2002 YZF-R1
                              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Wow I guess I oughta fully finish my thought here before people think I'm nuts what I'm getting @ is taking the tank, seat, and fairing off... Heaving the frame with a hoist. Yarding it vertical leaving the rear tire on the ground then supporting it with jack stands under the passenger pegs so it won't walk side to side on me. I reread my last post and thought that ain't gonna work out well sport
                                Don

old:
                                1989 kawi ex500
                                1996 yzf-r6
                                1999 yzf-r1
                                2001 kawi zx-6r
                                2000 Ducati 748
                                2002 YZF-R1
                                2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Working...
                                X