Tempted to try......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempted to try......

Tempted to try putting the cone filters on and hooking up the aux tank i just bought for synching now that solenoid is on and seeing if she'd start with a jump. If I don't go through the carbs first is there anything worse that could happen then she doesn't start? Was told it was ridden up to about 5 yrs ago.

This is why I can't have nice things lol, always too impatient. Part of the reason I got the XS11 was to have a slow project, and learn to do it right for my primary bike.
    Nate Lintz
    Desperado Truck Lines/MC
    78' XS1100 standard
    85' GV1200 Madura
    08' Wildfire 150SE

Give it a shot roadie. Just watch the carbs don't flood and dump gas into the oil.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

5 years?

I guess you have good oil in the motor? 5 years of sitting, I would squirt some oil in each cyl and crank it 1st just to lube the rings and help keep them from sticking / breaking Also wouldnt hurt to remove the valve cover and coat everything there with oil If you hear ANY noise when cranking over, that could be a valve sticking If so, i would find out what it is before installing the plugs and starting, bend / drop one and your work has just started Good luck with your bike

Originally posted by roadgypsy View Post
      Tempted to try putting the cone filters on and hooking up the aux tank i just bought for synching now that solenoid is on and seeing if she'd start with a jump. If I don't go through the carbs first is there anything worse that could happen then she doesn't start? Was told it was ridden up to about 5 yrs ago.

This is why I can't have nice things lol, always too impatient. Part of the reason I got the XS11 was to have a slow project, and learn to do it right for my primary bike.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Yeah, prolly better if i give it another week or so, got an oil filter on e-bay but i don't have any oil around and broke for this week. See if I feel like pulling the carbs in meantime and goin through the tank. Nice to have the tank on for first attempt anyway so if it starts i can idle out of garage and check everything else. I did give the starter a quick jab once solenoid was on and it sounded weak but no noises, so that's promising at least. Didn't do more than that with air filters off in a dirt floor shed.
        Last edited by roadgypsy; 12-17-2011, 04:34 PM.
        Nate Lintz
        Desperado Truck Lines/MC
        78' XS1100 standard
        85' GV1200 Madura
        08' Wildfire 150SE

Comment

Oil filter

Dont know if you have an Advance auto there but they sell the filter and both O rings for 5 bucks, many other stores can get it also
          http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...GRPFILTAMS____
          As to the oil, many on here use car oil, less $$, just make sure it doesn't have the friction mods most car oils do, or you can kill your clutch

I know it is hard to want to here it run, but doing it right the 1st time can mean doing it only once

Yeah, prolly better if i give it another week or so, got an oil filter on e-bay but i don't have any oil around and broke for this week. See if I feel like pulling the carbs in meantime and goin through the tank. Nice to have the tank on for first attempt anyway so if it starts i can idle out of garage and check everything else. I did give the starter a quick jab once solenoid was on and it sounded weak but no noises, so that's promising at least. Didn't do more than that with air filters off in a dirt floor shed.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

In the past I'd used the same quaker state i used in the car, forget what I put in my madura when I got it, hadn't had a bike in 5 yrs and didn't even think of friction stuff. I've learned alot about wrenching since my first bike when I was 18 (Rtv for a carb gasket=a very expensive kz400!) But I've applied it less the older I've got, as when I moved home I didn't have anywhere for project cars or bikes, and my self control in aquiring them grew. Now that I'm ready to start out again, trying to go more slowly and hopefully properly. It's gonna take me a while to get back in the game.
            Nate Lintz
            Desperado Truck Lines/MC
            78' XS1100 standard
            85' GV1200 Madura
            08' Wildfire 150SE

Comment

Oil

In the 80's the Fed mandated friction mods for car oil to increase gas milage GREAT! Yea, right Well, as you know your car clutch is not in your motor oil, your bike clutch IS Some disagree with me (but none of the people who make the oil do) Those mods can make your clutch slip (learned this the hard way on my KZ) There is a stamp on the oil container and it show the ones that have the mods and the ones that don't

In the past I'd used the same quaker state i used in the car, forget what I put in my madura when I got it, hadn't had a bike in 5 yrs and didn't even think of friction stuff. I've learned alot about wrenching since my first bike when I was 18 (Rtv for a carb gasket=a very expensive kz400!) But I've applied it less the older I've got, as when I moved home I didn't have anywhere for project cars or bikes, and my self control in aquiring them grew. Now that I'm ready to start out again, trying to go more slowly and hopefully properly. It's gonna take me a while to get back in the game.
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

resist the temptation...

If the bike has been sitting for 5 years and you do not know the history I suggest you go slow.
                The following is my approach: I do and oil and oil filter change first, any mc or car oil that is on sale usually, choice not important as I will change it again after a few hours of running time. I use a can of Pennzoil fogging oil and pull the plugs and spray into the cylinders and into the intakes, then turn by hand to make sure everything turns over smooth. By hand, I mean I pull the left side cover and use that nut on the crankshaft to turn it, with tranny in neutral. At the same time I set the cam shaft chain tension.
                If it turns over several times smoothly by hand I will put a battery to it and spin it for awhile with the plugs out to prime oil pump and circuit. If it turns over well for a few minutes I will put plugs in and try to start it. I had not pulled cam cover before, but base on what I read I think I would do that from now on and hit that whole top end with fogging oil. It will let you see that everything is working fine. The cost is at most the price of new gasket, but you will know that it works properly and can also take feeler gauges and check valve clearance while in the area.

These bikes are incredibly tough, but taking the extra minutes now might mean avoiding valve or ring problems later.
                Good luck,
                Scott
                I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

What do you expect? Compression test is the only thing to look for in a long sitting engine as a starter. I would lube some mystery oil in the cylinders first. Carb cleaning is a given if the compression is good. While the carbs are off strip the brakes which certainly need doing Of course clean oil and filter before a start test. and from there up who knows.What ever it takes for bliss.
                  79SF
                  XJ11
                  78E

Comment

Aye, I need to just take my time and do it right. Part of why I was considering jumping right in is the guy i got it from said it had been stored inside up until about a week before i picked it up covered in snow, and that it would fire when he sprayed carb cleaner in. But that doesn't mean compression or timing. The wiring looks to be a bloody mess as well, the fuse box has been replaced with individual in-line fuse holders and some of the wires a bit raw looking.
                    Nate Lintz
                    Desperado Truck Lines/MC
                    78' XS1100 standard
                    85' GV1200 Madura
                    08' Wildfire 150SE

Comment

Welcome aboard Roadgypsy,
                      If you are serious about trying to make your new find a genuine rider then you will have to get real familiar with the machine long before you actually ride it. This engine is an interference contraption. If you don't know what that means, it means for all intent that if the cams get out of time with the crank would are SCREWED, and in the worst way because you'll end up with a lot of broken parts including valves, pistons, and possibly even a rod. There are guys on here with a lot more time with the XS than me but after I drove from Michigan to Minnesota and back when I picked the bike up, I did nothing but read everything I could on this forum and the links from this forum. I told the PO that the machine had to start and run or all he'd see of me was my butt going home. It did start and run but very poorly. At least I knew there was something to start with. The PO, I found out later, either didn't know as much as he thought he did or he was telling me a story. I pulled the valve cover, read the valve clearances and checked the cam timing FIRST. When it appeared there was hope afterall, because the cams were in time and none of the valves had zero clearance (but a couple were close, there was a good chance the engine was in good shape. I ended up getting seven out of the eight valve shims to get the valves correct, a new cam chain because the old one was stretched to it's max, rebuild kits for all four carbs, new gas lines, vacuum lines which were bad, and brakes. I payed $1000 for the bike and put another $400 or so into parts and about 140 hours getting it straight in about 3 1/2 weeks. I also changed all fluids, crankcase, mid and rear gear cases. When I was sure everything was ready for countdown I opened the gas petcock, filled the floatbowls, closed my eyes and hit the starter. I don't think it too a complete revolution before it came to life and she purs like a kitten..thanks to many on this forum who gave advice and information and my willngness to do it right and take my time. I do have another bike so getting the XS to run wasn't exactly a necessity. I also bought a Clymer manual, although I did the vast majority of my work from what I was able to get here and other places on the net. The manual is well worth the money and it can act as a document for notes as well and an source of information as you get your ride in shape. Good luck, ask all the questions you can and follow the advice you get on here.
                      Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

I'm thinking my best bet may be to collect tools and parts till spring, gonna need compression gauges, timing light, feelers, alot of stuff I lost/sold/had stolen over the years. My loose dirt floor shed probably isn't the best enviroment either, better save up and lay some concrete before i start digging into carbs and pulling engine covers. I always get too many things going on at once and half ass them, this is a good project to turn that around on.
                        Nate Lintz
                        Desperado Truck Lines/MC
                        78' XS1100 standard
                        85' GV1200 Madura
                        08' Wildfire 150SE

Comment

Tools

Here where I live Advanced Auto will rent you the tools for a few $$, if so where you live, save your cash for other stuff You don't use a compresion gauge everyday (I never needed one, just plug the hole with your finger, if it got compression, you will know) Just take your time to do the carbs right, make sure all the valves are moving and timming chain is good and set right. These bikes are low tech by todays standards (two valves per cyl, not 5 like the FZRs, pice of cake) Cranking the motor over by hand and checking that everything lines up and moves free and nothing hits, new oil, and fire it up

I'm thinking my best bet may be to collect tools and parts till spring, gonna need compression gauges, timing light, feelers, alot of stuff I lost/sold/had stolen over the years. My loose dirt floor shed probably isn't the best enviroment either, better save up and lay some concrete before i start digging into carbs and pulling engine covers. I always get too many things going on at once and half ass them, this is a good project to turn that around on.
                          1980 XS1100 Special
                          1990 V Max
                          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

I agree with this. If it turns over by hand and your carbs are bench synched, you have spark etc, why not give her a go.
                            I get a "new to me" one home I check the obvious and make sure the oil is good Throw a set of carbs on it and see if it fires. Often I do not have great compression on all cylinders, but that seems to come back after running them a bit. Personally I think that if I have to oil the cylinders etc just to break it free that it is simply not worth the time. That said to drop some oil in the plug holes before turning it even by hand is a very good idea.
                            Welcome to the site and good luck with your bike. You are at the right place to find any info you need, or questions you need answered.

QUOTE=XS1100_OEM4ME;350251]Here where I live Advanced Auto will rent you the tools for a few $$, if so where you live, save your cash for other stuff You don't use a compresion gauge everyday (I never needed one, just plug the hole with your finger, if it got compression, you will know) Just take your time to do the carbs right, make sure all the valves are moving and timming chain is good and set right. These bikes are low tech by todays standards (two valves per cyl, not 5 like the FZRs, pice of cake) Cranking the motor over by hand and checking that everything lines up and moves free and nothing hits, new oil, and fire it up[/QUOTE]
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

ready to go....

Hay Road...if I may........I have a 81 1100 H mod and have turned every nut and bolt on it! Took me about a year and half to sort out the probs it had. This bike sat for 12 years, bad carbs......bad 2nd gear, real mess. My main thing I wanted to say is...I noticed you said you were running air filter pods? I tried them and found that running the fact air box did the trick. The pods are a royal pain when trying to get this bike to run correctly. Unless you have a carb guru near by stay with the air box!
                              At this time:
                              1985 Goldwing Innr.
                              1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                              2007 vtx 1300
                              81 sx 1100 s h
                              81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                              X