No announcement yet.

XJ1100 transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope, both the PO's beat the crap out of them. I don't run them hard at all. I always use the clutch when shifting unless the cable is broken.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Cable broken

Been there, done that Starting off in 1st in traffic is the most fun part of the broken cable

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      Nope, both the PO's beat the crap out of them. I don't run them hard at all. I always use the clutch when shifting unless the cable is broken.
      1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
      1980 XS1100 Special
      1990 V Max
      1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
      1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
      1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
      1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
      1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Hey there OEM/Lon,

I got my bike NEW in '83, rode it for some 9 years, but my odometer broke at ~900 miles, so I just used the tripometer to monitor fuel stops. I calculated that with my 1.5 years of daily commuting I did when I first got it back in the states, along with several LDR's and such, that I had about 50k miles on it before mine started acting up. I always used the clutch, and was fairly firm in most of my shifts, but I did "play" with it occasionally and did some speed shifts and such from time to time, but not habitually.

As stated, many folks have not had any gear problems with 10's of k miles and being original owners. So...just ride it like you said, enjoy it, and just be aware that IF/WHEN it does happen, you'll know how to fix it economically!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks TopCat I love my bike, but am tired of fixing stuff When i keep reading about droped valves and trannie problems, and on and on, It makes every ride a WTF will happen next Every tapping sound, every motor noise, I am like, is that the dreaded timming tensioner or the crank bearings spinning Is that tapping my valves stretching / about to drop My bike seems fine but all the crap other owners have gone through I dont go on a long trips, just in case Damm, no wonder fokes buy HD's, they don't go fast, but they do seem to go

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
          Hey there OEM/Lon,

I got my bike NEW in '83, rode it for some 9 years, but my odometer broke at ~900 miles, so I just used the tripometer to monitor fuel stops. I calculated that with my 1.5 years of daily commuting I did when I first got it back in the states, along with several LDR's and such, that I had about 50k miles on it before mine started acting up. I always used the clutch, and was fairly firm in most of my shifts, but I did "play" with it occasionally and did some speed shifts and such from time to time, but not habitually.

As stated, many folks have not had any gear problems with 10's of k miles and being original owners. So...just ride it like you said, enjoy it, and just be aware that IF/WHEN it does happen, you'll know how to fix it economically!

T.C.
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Followup reply

Lon,

I read your other thread and concerns about the reliability of your bike. I should have commented that aside from oil/gas and tires, I also didn't do much in the way of maintenance on my NEW machine from '83 till '92 when the tranny went! I don't think I even had the valve lash adjusted, etc.!?

Then the bike sat for 9 years OUTSIDE, I covered it the 1st year, but didn't seal or prepare it for long term storage, and then life's troubles happened, financial problems, etc., and so it became an 8 year barn find! In 2000 when my Dad passed, that's when I tore into it, rebuilt just the bottom end due to the exposure, cylinder rust and such, and regular oversize pistons/rings rare, so I went "little" big bore,but still has the OEM main/rod bearings. Fixed other stuff, fuseblock, brake hoses, rebuilt calipers, carbs, etc.. Rode it just locally the first year to get my road legs back, then did a modest LDR the next year from Norfolk, VA to Alexandria Bay, NY and back, then next year to Suches, GA, next year back to Penn., brought lots of tools and parts with me, but essentially never had a breakdown.

It's been 11 years, and my front calipers started locking up again, so I'll need to tear into them and clean/rebuild them again, but that's really about all I expect to be a problem. I've had to play with my carbs, but was due to previously broken and ineffective repaired float post! I also don't ride it very often, just a few K miles a year, so as stated, problems can happen more due to lack of use!!!

If you've done a proper rebuild and reconditioning of the bike and all of it's systems, then it should be about as reliable as a new bike. However, these are not new bikes, 30+ y/o engines, metal, etc., dropping a valve or such is always a possibility. YMMV!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I will say that most of those I've seen with valve problems have been those bringing bikes back to life after a long time sitting. It's thought that it's to do with rust on the valve stem or such that makes the valve stick open and causes the valve to hit the piston. Not really a dropped valve, but the end result is the same. All the problems I've seen people have seem to have come either from sitting or from something going wrong with the carbs (normally also from sitting or rust in the tank and no inline filter). If you make sure that the work was done properly, and keep up on the ongoing stuff that needs doing, things should be fine, you might consider doing the auto cam chain tensioner mod, although I'm still running the OEM one and it's just fine, but I don't really hot rod my bike either, and I do try to remember to adjust it like it should be, which to me is one of the draws of the auto adjusting mod, not having to adjust the thing all the time.
              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
              Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
              Spade Fuse Box
              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
              750 FD Mod
              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks T.C and C.Y. I have just been wanting to take a real road trip on my bike, and I read post after post about "tried to go for a ride BUT" I mean, my bike seems fine I have rebuilt the brakes, carbs and adjusted everything you can adjust It goes when I tell it to go, I have never even hit 8000 rpm, it is babied I just don't want to have to junk it along side the road cuz i can't affored to tow it home from two or three states away $$$ are tight now, but would love to do a road trip
                1980 XS1100 Special
                1990 V Max
                1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Lon, you better get a gremlin bell and Triple A before that trip.

Maybe a trip around Lake O. to start. Me and Cobia went last week.
                  Last edited by bikerphil; 12-13-2011, 09:42 PM.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Aaa

I have had AAA, and they won't tow my bike home I have tried AA also, and they won't even tow my fat a$$ home anymore

Maybe a thip around Lake O. to start.
                    1980 XS1100 Special
                    1990 V Max
                    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                      I have had AAA, and they won't tow my bike home I have tried AA also, and they won't even tow my fat a$$ home anymore
                      Progressive will, but you need to get full coverage. You can also get and AMA membership and add roadside assistance on to that as well. I got the progressive with state value and roadside assistance, and they are one of the companies that will do MC roadside assistance. I talked with a farmers ins guy the other day that says that farmers will do MC roadside assistance as well.
                      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                      Vetter Windjammer IV
                      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                      OEM Luggage Rack
                      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                      Spade Fuse Box
                      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                      750 FD Mod
                      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks

WELL, thanks for the invite on that trip I would have loved to gone with you guys, that is if i don't drop a valve, slip a clutch, spin a bearing, fowl a plug, lose a coil, blow a fuse. Next time, give me an invite, at least I can hitch a ride on back of one of the remaining running XS's (if any) if need too

Maybe a trip around Lake O. to start. Me and Cobia went last week.
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                          Next time, give me an invite
                          You got it, sounds good, maybe meet you over around Moore Haven, I'll bring a spare transmission
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Thanks guys for all the helpful suggestions. I plan on working on my bike after the first of the year and get it ready for my every day commute. Then I'll ride it to Thunder Beach. I'll let you all know how it turns out. This bike has over 50k miles on it and the motor runs like a top.

Comment

Working...
                            X