XJ1100 transmission problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ1100 transmission problems

I have been rebuilding an 82 XJ1100 the problem I'm having now is when it is in 1st or 3rd gear it slipps and I have a grinding noise coming from the transmission. I have just put in a new clutch and found the bolt from the counter balance shaft had come out and had been ground up literally. I replaced it after a friend that has a machine shop made me a new one. with the specs I found on this forum (Thank You).

The question I have is will the transmission gears from an XS11 work in my XJ or do I need to find another XJ? I know that a lot of the parts are interchangeable and was wanting to get other opinions.

The tranny components are completely interchangable on all XS-XJ engines.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Thanks that is what I needed to know.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
        The tranny components are completely interchangable on all XS-XJ engines.
        I suppose I should clarify the XS1100 and XJ1100 engines.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

Hey there Cowboy,

I would like to add a comment here. If you haven't seen it, you may want to look at the tech tips in the forums below, the REPAIRS, then TRANNY section, and read thru the ones for the Dremel gear fixes for 1st, 2nd, that also can apply to 3rd. The gears are rather expensive, and getting used gears is possibly just slightly prolonging the inevitable trip back into the tranny to perform the dremel type fix. IT's more rare, but a few folks have commented / reported their 3rd gear also developing the "SKIP", but it's mostly common for 1st and 2nd. The problem is that you have to fix or replace the matching gear, 1st needs 4th, 2nd needs 5th, so you could end up replacing almost all of the gears on the countershaft=$$$$$

So....if you have deep pockets, or are an aircraft mechanic(they don't like used parts ), then by all means, put in new gears..the newer ones ARE backcut from the factory like they should have been, but if you're on a budget like most of us, then you may want to check out the tips and the more inexpensive repair technique that many of us have done.

I'll let you search for the washer swap portion and decide if you want to add or do that in addition to the dremel part.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

The reason I was asking is that I know where a xs1100 parts bike is for sale cheap and I thought that I would get it and swap the trannys with my xj1100. It sounds like some teeth are missing on the xj.

Comment

Teeth

The gear teeth are usely fine, it is the engagment coggs that wear and cause the "slipping" you get. Once the coggs wear at an angle the more throttle the more they are pushed out of place. A good cheap doner bike is always a good idea if you plan on keep your bike though

Originally posted by cowboy1157 View Post
              The reason I was asking is that I know where a xs1100 parts bike is for sale cheap and I thought that I would get it and swap the trannys with my xj1100. It sounds like some teeth are missing on the xj.
              1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
              1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
              1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Even if you were to replace the gears with used ones from another bike, I would still suggest performing the dremel fix on them before installation. Take the existing gears out and examine them, and chances are, you'll just need to grind the dogs/slots and put them back in.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

FWIW,
                  all i've ever done is the washer swap and replace the "star" washer on the end of the selector drum.
                  Both trannies still going good.

Comment

An XJ I got ahold of one time had the 1st gear worn so badly that anything above idle and the gear would slip out repeatedly..sounded like a machine gun going off! Read the tip, get the used gears, do the Dremel fix on either set you decide to put back into the bike, and you'll be good to go!

T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

For anyone interested, I have two (2) complete sets of gears from my XJ1100. Wasn't causing any problems, but was already going through the motor and thought while I was in there I'd replace with new OEM gears. Lete know if you are interested in a complete set or an individual gear for your repair.
                      Thanks
                      Jamie
                      Last edited by Jamie; 12-12-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Is it a given?

Is it going to have to be done on all these bikes Mine has only been adult owned and never trashed from what I can tell and been told. It has 18,000 miles on it and it shifts like new (that of course means "like a russin tractor, but I know that and shift it accordingly) It never even jumps or skips, nor has it ever mised a shift. Should I be expecting this "more fun with my XS" repair in my not so distant future Or do some of these bikes go 40,000 miles on the original gears
                        1980 XS1100 Special
                        1990 V Max
                        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
                        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                          Is it going to have to be done on all these bikes
                          Nope, some owners have had no problems, even at higher mileage.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

My 79F went out at 7K and my 79SF at 13K
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Oil

Thats cuz you use that car motor oil Just kidding, how hard do you run / shift them? do you power shift when getting on it or use the clutch?

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                              My 79F went out at 7K and my 79SF at 13K
                              1980 XS1100 Special
                              1990 V Max
                              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
                              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Working...
                              X