Tip Over Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip Over Switch

I got a good deal on a wire harness so I have been cleaning connections and testing continunity. One of the missing parts is the connector for the tip over switch. There is just a black and a black/white wire sticking out. I checked all the old posts I could find for a bypass and they all say just unplug the connector. If there is no connector, do I connect these wires together or ensure that they never touch. Thanks in advance for your help, the knowledge base here is priceless.

Leave the black/white disconnected and not touching anything; the tipover switch grounds out the TCI to stop the motor. The black is ground, the black/white goes to the TCI...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Thanks, Always trust your bartender and XS11.

Comment

HOWEVER,

The switch is there to shut the motor down in the event of a tip-over. If you fall down ( it CAN happen, DAMHIKIJK) and don't have the switch, the motor keeps running, etc... etc...
        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
          The switch is there to shut the motor down in the event of a tip-over. If you fall down ( it CAN happen, DAMHIKIJK) and don't have the switch, the motor keeps running, etc... etc...
          Hi DaVinci,
          in the unlikely event of my sidecar rig getting flipped on it's side and me surviving the flip, will the switch reset itself when the bike is turned back upright or will I have to know where it is and how to reset it?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Fred, if anyone could flip a hack, it would have to be you! The switch is like a clock pendulum, it resets itself when upright.

Comment

where is this switch located?
              81 XS1100H

Comment

Do you have a manual?

It's under the tank, between the frame rails, above the ignition coils. It's got a rubber boot on it with the word "UP" embossed in it.

Comment

with the word "UP" embossed in it.
                  Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry! nearly fell off me chair reading that
                  Tom
                  1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
                  1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
                  1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
                  1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Do you have a manual?

It's under the tank, between the frame rails, above the ignition coils. It's got a rubber boot on it with the word "UP" embossed in it.
                    Yes I have a manual, sorry I wasted your important time typing.....
                    81 XS1100H

Comment

Don't take it to harshly, it is hard to impart intent in a typed message. It is a good idea to have the manual for the bike, and its easy tog et a PDF version, just look for a post or the member page for Catatonic Bug, he host the manual on his personal web site.

that tip over switch is a good feature but not a fool proof either. When I had my "incident" with Thunderstruck, the bike got leaned against the guard rail and wound up riding the guard rail till it hit a support post and then got flipped.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
                        Yes I have a manual, sorry I wasted your important time typing.....

Ok, but don't let it happen again (joking).

Really, though, the BEST place to get information about your bike is the manual. Sure, there are some mis-prints, but the manuals are 90% correct or better.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          Don't take it to harshly, it is hard to impart intent in a typed message. It is a good idea to have the manual for the bike, and its easy tog et a PDF version, just look for a post or the member page for Catatonic Bug, he host the manual on his personal web site.

that tip over switch is a good feature but not a fool proof either. When I had my "incident" with Thunderstruck, the bike got leaned against the guard rail and wound up riding the guard rail till it hit a support post and then got flipped.
                          IIRC, I read somewhere that the switch operates when the bike is beyond a 60 degree angle. that is practically ON THE GROUND. That may be why it didn't activate for you?

Comment

Found it....

Comment

I agree with why it did not activate, I just meant that having that switch is not a guarantee that the bike will be shut off when you need it to be for safety reasons. It is not a bad thign to have on the bike, but IMHO, I would not go through the trouble of rewiring to add it if it were missing.
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X