bad flasher unit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad flasher unit??

checking all the electricals, I've noticed the left signal operates as it should, but the right flashes maybe 2 times, then goes solid lit. If its the flasher, wouldn't it affect both left and right? What can cause this, bulb going bad, corroded switch...or?? Still looking for a special tail light lens, the small square one.
    81 XS1100H

light

I am guessing both f/r bulbs are working? If so, is this only when bike is not running, if so, low or going bad battery could be your cause. Some times one side will require more current then the other side (old wireing, poor grounding etc) and with the bike running, the charging makes it work better If even when running at a good rpm, I would check / clean the handlebar switch

Originally posted by old_skool View Post
    checking all the electricals, I've noticed the left signal operates as it should, but the right flashes maybe 2 times, then goes solid lit. If its the flasher, wouldn't it affect both left and right? What can cause this, bulb going bad, corroded switch...or?? Still looking for a special tail light lens, the small square one.
    1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
    1980 XS1100 Special
    1990 V Max
    1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
    1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
    1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
    1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
    1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Already thought of that, has brand new battery, and double checked the charge. Both front and rear signals work, when the right quits flasing, both front and rear right lights stay lit.
      81 XS1100H

Comment

Running?

Running or not?

Already thought of that, has brand new battery, and double checked the charge. Both front and rear signals work, when the right quits flasing, both front and rear right lights stay lit.
        1980 XS1100 Special
        1990 V Max
        1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
        1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
        1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

Automotive bulbs can cause a similar issue............that's partially why scoot bulbs are specific to scoots.....JAT...
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

sorry, not running, have to finish the carbs first to try it in running mode
            81 XS1100H

Comment

99%

99% sure it will work fine once running, mine does the same thing after sitting (new battery in mine also) clears right up after the first ride, XS gremlins

sorry, not running, have to finish the carbs first to try it in running mode
              1980 XS1100 Special
              1990 V Max
              1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
              1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's

Comment

Originally posted by XS1100_OEM4ME View Post
                XS gremlins
                Sorry, no passengers, gremlins please disembark the vehicle with your hands up!
                81 XS1100H

Comment

I agree that the problem will likely be diguised once the engine is running. However, I'd say the handlebar switch is in need of some maintenance. There are a bunch of connecitons in there that are known issues, so take the whole thing apart and clean the contacts, re-solder the wires as needed, and lube the whole thing with a nice coating of dielectric grease. Having the right bulbs may well be an issue too, since the flasher is reliant on the current that the bulbs draw to tell it when to flash. It's a bit of a safety thing that tells you when a bulb is out.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

I'd bet a new cheapo $3 two prong flasher will fix it. No more self cancelling though. The OEM flasher unit comes apart and the contacts can be filed down like you would an old set of breaker points.

A million other Yami's use that tail lite lens (79SF)....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...521-60-00.html
                    Last edited by bikerphil; 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Appreciate all the help and suggestions!!
                      81 XS1100H

Comment

Appreciate all the help and suggestions!!
                        Hi Rich,
                        my best guess is a partial ground fault. Along with every other ground connection, check the continuity between the signal's pot-metal casting and the steel threaded tube that holds it on; nasty crystals can grow in there.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I figured I'd be going through all the grounds and plan on adding a few new ones, engine to frame and more. Thanks
                          81 XS1100H

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            I'd bet a new cheapo $3 two prong flasher will fix it. No more self cancelling though. The OEM flasher unit comes apart and the contacts can be filed down like you would an old set of breaker points.

A million other Yami's use that tail lite lens (79SF)....

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...521-60-00.html
                            And if you want the best of both worlds, you can do the two prong flasher and implement the auto cancel mod to retain the auto cancel function as well and have your cake and eat it too as I do .
                            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                            Vetter Windjammer IV
                            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                            OEM Luggage Rack
                            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                            Spade Fuse Box
                            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                            750 FD Mod
                            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                              And if you want the best of both worlds, you can do the two prong flasher and implement the auto cancel mod to retain the auto cancel function as well and have your cake and eat it too as I do .

I haven't read much on the electronics of these bikes yet, how does the self canceling work and how did you integrate it with an auto flasher?
                              81 XS1100H

Comment

Working...
                              X