Back Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Together

My bike is back together after about 2 1/2 weeks of doing maintenance that should have been done long ago, getting rid of stuff that wssn't supposed to be and basically making it as close to factory as I could get it. Yesteray was a warm day (about 40) so I really went after it, got the new shims in, the cam chain in and everything such as the carbs, air cleaner, etc bak where they belong. If I ever meet the engineer who did the intake, my boot is up his, well you know! I'd do pods but I really wanted it to be stock. I have yet to start it but I may have to move the cams a click as the dots were both just a bit off and it looked like moving the cams one pin on the chain would make it exactly right on. I was just too tired yesterday. I got a oil filtet from Old Bike Barn ( it was an EMGO) and I noticed the rubber gromets in the filter had holes that were too small to let the bolt through so I had to do a little cutting on them to get the bolt through. They just weren't right although they fit in the oil filter area just fine. Heres a few pics of the bike.

http://s213.photobucket.com/albums/c...t=DSC00353.jpg
    Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Did my final cam sync today and made sure I was 100% on everything. Filled her up with fresh gas, waited till the float bowls filled and hit the starter and that great sound of a good running in-line four came to life. After running for about fifteen minutes I checked everything. No fluids anywhere and she was humming like a brand new Timex. It took about 140 hours, $400 in parts and some good old TLC. Best buy I've made in a long time, $1000 to purchase, $400 to make like new and she runns like a new bike, just 31 years old.

Comment

great looking special.

Looks great! Thanks for the pix.
      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Wow. Sure is pretty. It must feel good to get all that done and knowing she is running right and dependable. Nice work!
        When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Nice bike

That is nice! Looks like the day she rolled of the showroom floor, good job Now it it your time to enjoy
          1979 XS1100 Special (Mad Max, OEM) Current
          1980 XS1100 Special
          1990 V Max
          1982 KZ750 LTD Twin
          1986 700 FZR Yamaha Fazer (faster then expected)
          1979 XS750 Special (my 1st Special)
          1974 CB750-Four

Past/pres Car's
          1961 Catalina 389/1970 Torino GT 351/1967GTO 12to1 comp./ Roller cam/ T-10/ 456 gear/Tri-power/1967 GTO 400, 1969 Camaro, 1968 Z28, 2001 BMW M Roadster 0 to 60 in 4.5 sec. Jaguar XK8

Comment

It's hard to believe but it was a 1978 Honda 400 twin sitting by the side of the road that caught my eye and got this whole thing started. The day after I spotted the Honda, I hopped on my FZ1 and went back for a better look. It was one of those "finds" that was in pretty bad shape. Massive hole in the muffler where it had rusted out, tank had been beaten up pretty bad, and the front brake was totally inop. with brake fluid coming out the bleeder hole and no action from the lever. When I was trying to get a price for the honda I just happened upon this XS1100. Anyway, accordig to all the info I could find on the Honda it was worth about $400 if it was in good shape. I still figured I would offer $200 and see if anything could be done to repair it. When I talked to the owner of the Honda, he said he had just ridden it (which I knew was not the truth) and he had to get $800 for it. I told him when the front brake was in working order to call me back. Still haven't heard from him. I guess it just goes to show if you look long enough and are patient, you can find a good deal. The way this XS1100 Special has turned out is the best Christmas gift I could have asked for,

Comment

Working...
            X